Advertisement

Weather & Technical Diversions, Delays & Cancellations

SNOWMAN

Jan 12, 2010
fight to win
i would have thought if it was possible to move it back it would have have been done by,dont forget its present position was part of the package which gave lba its much fought over extended hours agreement with leeds council.
sm

Advertisement

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
fight to win
i would have thought if it was possible to move it back it would have have been done by,dont forget its present position was part of the package which gave lba its much fought over extended hours agreement with leeds council.
sm
Not quite Snowman, it was part of the package that gave us our new longer runway, so was in place from 1984, some 12 years before we finally removed the shackles of having to close at bedtime. I think we all share your frustration Fight2Win, but as previously explained, moving the touch down point back to where it used to be isn't something that can be done 'just like that'. Firstly, it will need planning approval and you can only imagine the grief the airport will get from those at the Horsforth end who will suddenly find aircraft are a good deal lower as they pass over their houses. Secondly, doing so would require the complete alteration of the airfield and approach lighting - lighting that is still being replaced with new LED systems, and thirdly, it would mean a complete change to the ILS system. All hugely expensive and hugely disruptive if you want to keep the airport operating at the same time. I have spoken to LBA's ATC chief's on numerous occasions over the years, asking about this, and the general consensus has always been that they only wish they could! Just as they only wish they could have Cat 3 on runway 14.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Moderator #5,483
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I read elsewhere that earlier in the day an SAS A320 couldn't get into MAN, and diverted all the way to Bristol, which seems a strange thing to do given that LPL, LBA, BHX and EMA are all considerably nearer. LBA was rather quiet at the time so no obvious reason why LBA couldn't have taken the divert.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #5,494
It's a common misconception within the enthusiast community to think airports divert aircraft to neighbouring airports. The decision to divert and where to divert is made by the airline company and ultimately the captain of the flight concerned. Their decision where to divert to may take into account many factors such as overnight airfield closures; handling availability; the local weather; company contracts along with many other factors.

Tarn Spotter

Nov 5, 2012
It's a common misconception within the enthusiast community to think airports divert aircraft to neighbouring airports. The decision to divert and where to divert is made by the airline company and ultimately the captain of the flight concerned. Their decision where to divert to may take into account many factors such as overnight airfield closures; handling availability; the local weather; company contracts along with many other factors.
Dont forget also that LBA has stand by aircraft as well as crews at LBA.
By a strange coincidence I am watching G-JZHR land at Lanzarote on my split screen as I type this (2.24pm)

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #5,496
Dont forget also that LBA has stand by aircraft as well as crews at LBA.
By a strange coincidence I am watching G-JZHR land at Lanzarote on my split screen as I type this (2.24pm)
I am generalising as there aren't standby crews for say Loganair, British Airway or SAS for example. Standby crew or aircraft at Leeds will be limited to Jet2, Ryanair and maybe Eastern Airways.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #5,497
No argument with that but it still seemed an odd decision to divert a MAN-bound aircraft all the way to Bristol when there must surely have been closer alternatives. It's not even as if BRS has current links with SAS. Furthermore, that airport doesn't usually take many diversions because of a lack of space.

Advertisement

Top Bottom