Solar PV Farm to be installed at Cardiff Airport
View attachment 15251

A joint agreement with Cardiff Airport and a local renewable energy developer will see the installation of a brand new Solar PV Farm on the airport site in the near future.
The construction of the 2MW solar site is set to be completed within the next 18 months by Bridgend based company Cenin Renewables, who have successfully delivered notable renewable energy projects across key sites in South Wales.
The Solar PV Farm at Cardiff Airport will sit within the boundary of the site and will supply the business with electricity via a private wire, with any surplus energy being exported to the national grid.
It is anticipated that the new Solar PV Farm will deliver a carbon reduction of some 20,508 tonnes over the next 25 years, a saving of approximately 860 tonnes every year.
This project is the next step in Cardiff Airport’s recently unveiled its Environmental Flight Path – a timeline of immediate and short term environmental goals. These milestones will be delivered in line with the organisation’s vision to become a ‘Carbon neutral Airport’ and is a key consideration for the Airport’s Masterplan development over the next two decades.
Mark Bailey, Director of Airport Planning and Development at Cardiff Airport, commented: “After a huge amount of careful planning and consideration, it is hugely exciting to see this project come to life.
“We’re proud to be working in partnership with a Welsh business who bring with them expert knowledge and a wealth of experience needed to develop this project on our site. When it’s complete it will deliver massive carbon reductions and power the Airport.”
In addition to its renewable energy and carbon reduction benefits, the Solar PV farm will create a welcoming, natural environment for biodiversity including bees and some species of wild flowers.
Martyn Popham, Director at Cenin Renewables, added: “Cenin Renewables is delighted to have been chosen to work with Cardiff Airport to help them achieve an important part of their comprehensive plan to decarbonise the airport operation.”

About the Cardiff Airport Environmental Flight Path
Cardiff Airport’s Environmental Flight Path has been developed with the support of Cardiff Airport’s Board, Welsh Government, the Airport Operators’ Association and WSP consultancy. It is a framework developed to track environmental and sustainability successes that have already been achieved, whilst setting our immediate and short term goals. These include:
  • Sourcing 100% of our power supply from renewable and clean energy sources – delivered in October 2019
  • Signing the Healthy Travel Charter – an initiative where we will commit to supporting and encouraging our team and customers to travel in a sustainable way to and from the Airport – delivered in October 2019
  • Introducing electric vehicle charge points across our car parks - November 2019
  • Renewing our recycling operations - November 2019
  • Installing smart meters across the site to closely monitor energy consumption – January 2020
  • Updating Cardiff Airport’s Climate Change Adaptation Report – March 2020
  • Continuing to work with all partners to further the reduce plastic use – 2020
  • Commissioning and installing a solar PV farm on the Airport site

Last edited:
Although this must be championed and welcome, the press release doesn't say how much energy CWL uses and how much of that energy will be generated through the solar farm. Will it be all of the airports needs or a percentage?

From my previous experience, 2MW is sufficient to power around 1,000 homes on an annual basis. No idea whether that is sufficient to fully power a commercial airport 24/7/365.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock