Manchester Airport secures landmark link to Shanghai
1574275541763.png

Manchester Airport announce flights between Manchester and Shanghai with Juneyao Air
  • Flights start end of March 2020 and will operate three times per week
  • 787 Dreamliner aircraft in operation with a two-class configuration
  • Dignitaries, businesses, universities and tourism bodies praise the route
  • Only UK airport outside of London now with the route
Manchester Airport today announced a landmark deal to connect the North with Shanghai, China’s biggest city and one of the world’s most important economic powerhouses.

Chinese carrier Juneyao Air has chosen the Northern hub for its first ever UK service, which will operate three-times-a-week using the state-of-the-art Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.

The news has been hailed as “a key step towards making the North one of the world’s most globally competitive regions” and is tipped to unlock hundreds of millions of pounds-worth of trade, investment and tourism benefits.

It will be a boost for the 180,000 people and businesses within Manchester Airport’s catchment area who already travel to Shanghai, ranked as one of the top five Global Financial Centres, each year.

And business, university and cultural leaders say the link will stimulate further valuable connections between the Far East and all parts of the North.

Manchester Airport CEO Andrew Cowan said:
“This news underlines the critical role Manchester Airport plays in connecting people and businesses across the North to the world’s most important markets.

“We have seen first-hand how new routes to high-growth economies can unlock significant trade, cultural and knowledge exchange opportunities and this will be no different.

“We are delighted that Juneyao Air has recognised everything the North has to offer, in terms of its business base, natural and cultural assets and world-leading universities when choosing to launch this new service.

“I would like to thank all those who have worked hard to strengthen our region’s ties with China, especially the Manchester China Forum, in recent years.”

Originally a fishing village and market town, Shanghai has grown to be one of the world’s key economic powerhouses, with a population of nearly 25m.

It is home to the worlds’ busiest container port and seen as a leading hub for finance, innovation and transportation, providing wide-ranging collaboration opportunities for the North.

Juneyao’s services with operate initially via Helsinki, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It will arrive into Manchester at 08.30 and depart for Shanghai at 10:00. Juneyao will operate a Dreamliner, with business and economy cabins, on the route.

Wang Junjin, Juneyao Air Chariman, said:
“Juneyao Air is delighted to launch its first fifth-freedom route to Manchester, and we look forward to developing Manchester’s traffic growth in the coming years. This route will further promote Greater Manchester’s tourism, as well giving Britain an opportunity to boost its trade and investment links to China.”

Juneyao Air is one of the leading private-owned carriers in mainland China. Founded in September 2006, the carrier now owns 72 aircraft, consisting of Airbus A320s and Boeing 787 Dreamliners. The airline operates more than 160 routes linking major cities in China as well as international destinations. In 2018 Juneyao Air carried over 18 million passengers.

Juneyao Air’s flagship - the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner features two cabins offering comfortable ergonomic seating, enhanced definition intuitive touch personal entertainment screens and wireless internet access. All seats in Business Class have direct access to the aisle and can be fully reclined into a bed position, giving passengers a superior sleep experience, which greatly enhance the level of the travel comfort. The seats in the Economy Class are designed to provide comfortable personal space and state-of-the-art individual on-demand entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:

The article says the HU service to PEK has helped boost export trade by 41% and there has been a significant increase in Chinese visitors.
I didn't see any reference in the piece that the Juneyao service from MAN to PVG would be 1 stop at Helsinki. Whether that will make it less attractive for Yorkshire folk given that there are flights from LBA to AMS and from there 11 flights a week non stop to Shanghai, if I'm reading the timetable correctly, remains to be seen (as well as via LHR). Of course, Yorkshire is a big county and LBA or HUM no more convenient than MAN in many cases. The MAN service is also a transit flight at HEL, - less hassle than a transfer which will usually entail more time on the ground.

To correct my post, I think that should be 15 weekly non-stop flights from AMS to PVG. It seems to be 11 KLM and 4 China Eastern.

The article says the HU service to PEK has helped boost export trade by 41% and there has been a significant increase in Chinese visitors.
I didn't see any reference in the piece that the Juneyao service from MAN to PVG would be 1 stop at Helsinki. Whether that will make it less attractive for Yorkshire folk given that there are flights from LBA to AMS and from there 11 flights a week non stop to Shanghai, if I'm reading the timetable correctly, remains to be seen (as well as via LHR). Of course, Yorkshire is a big county and LBA or HUM no more convenient than MAN in many cases. The MAN service is also a transit flight at HEL, - less hassle than a transfer which will usually entail more time on the ground.

When I came back from South Korea, in September, my transfer time (to LBA) was 1 hour 10mins.

This airline should have discussed with Birmingham International and Shanghai aswell demand is high we are home for Land Rover - MG Rover and HSBC and more inc City with Common Wealth games.

But the Peoples Republic of China isn't in the Commonwealth? And the Games are a one-off event which last for a few days. If there was demand an airline could simply run one charter flight preceeding the Games and another one at the end. The NW has plenty of business links with China too.

Very surprised that of the 180k passengers from the MAN catchment area, the 22k from Greater Manchester itself is fewer than any of Yorkshire, West Midlands and East Midlands and only just ahead of Leicestershire!

The answer lies in the respective population size of the regions cited. Greater Manchester 2,813,000; Yorkshire 5,930,576; Merseyside 1,408,524. So the passenger splits drawn from those are proportionally quite logical.

The Midlands numbers throw up questions. East Midlands population 4,804,000 actually includes Leicestershire's 696,742; it is not clear to me why there are listings for both. If the East Midlands number doesn't include Leicestershire then just what is being measured - because it isn't the East Midlands region as customarily defined? West Midlands also needs clarification as to what it includes, as West Midlands Region population is 5,713,000 whilst the West Midlands Conurbation is 2,916,000. Which "West Midlands" is referenced by our data source here?

The datasets used for the Midlands numbers require clarification from source. It is unclear what each includes.

Still having no joy at all with the Juneyao Airlines website. Every attempt to search for flights throws up error messages. I genuinely want to book a Helsinki trip but I haven't succeeded in even reaching the bookings page yet. Has anyone else tried and had better luck?

'Error 5165: Insufficient Seats' is trying my patience! :)

The route isn’t bookable yet. The website is still showing the current arrangement being the Finnair codeshare to Manchester.

It’s in the GDS system so one assumes it will be bookable soon. Athens-Helsinki was announced a month earlier than MAN and still isn’t bookable either, but interestingly the MAN route has made it to GDS but the ATH route hasn’t yet.

Credit to Airlineroute

Juneyao Airlines in the last few days filed changes for planned European service. Except Athens and Istanbul, the airline has closed reservation for planned service to Dublin, Manchester and Reykjavik.

From 29MAR20 to 25APR20, the airline operates Shanghai Pu Dong – Helsinki service 3 times weekly. Planned 7 weekly from 26APR20 remains unchanged for the moment, however only Shanghai – Helsinki sector is open for reservation.

Previously planned service extension beyond Helsinki, no longer available for reservation, as follows.

Shanghai Pu Dong – Helsinki – Dublin eff 26APR20 2 of 7 weekly Helsinki service extends to Dublin, 787-9 operating
Shanghai Pu Dong – Helsinki – Manchester eff 27APR20 3 of 7 weekly Helsinki service extends to Manchester, 787-9 operating
Shanghai Pu Dong – Helsinki – Reykjavik Keflavik eff 25APR20 2 of 7 weekly Helsinki service extends to Reykjavik Keflavik, 787-9 operating

The Coronavirus is having a huge impact on long haul from Manchester in particular. So this on top of Cathey reducing services and the suspension of Hainan flight it's not looking good.

Last edited:
The Coronavirus is having a huge impact on long haul from Manchester in particular. So this on top of Cathey reducing services and the suspension of Hainan flight it's not looking good.

And when will it end, I can see this virus spreading all across Asia and indeed the world. Worrying times :sick:

Just as confirmation from the latest ACL report

Juneyao (HO)New three per week PVG (Shanghai) via HEL service cancelled all S20. (Coronavirus related).

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock