Airfield re-designation
View attachment 15762

This month Manchester Airport completed its first major airfield re-designation scheme in nearly two decades.

To support the shift in its operations, the airport is currently building a dual taxiway system to improve access from its runways to the terminal. The new taxiways will allow two Code E aircraft to pass each other which will improve the efficiency of the operation.

To prepare for the introduction of these new parallel taxiways, christened Echo and Delta, – in 2020, changes have been made to a number of the airfield designators. A team of around 30 from the airport and principal contractor Allied Infrastructure and sub-contractor ATG Airports worked through the night to install 50 new signs on five sections of taxiway, one runway holding position and 11 intermediate hold positions.

Additionally, several painted ground markings were altered, and changes were also made to the airfield lighting and other control software systems, aeronautical and operational charts, publications and databases.

As more facilities come online and further changes are made to the airfield, the new designators will make it easier for pilots and airside drivers to navigate around the airfield. The airport worked in consultation with NATS and the Manchester-based pilot community to develop the strategy for long-term airfield designators.

These changes are the first phase of re-designation. Further stages will take place as the outer taxiway network is developed between 2020 and 2024.

Manchester Airport is spending circa £110M on optimising its airfield. Work-to-date has included the creation of 11 new contact stands and three remote stands on Pier One of Terminal Two that opened in April 2019. In addition to these works, Manchester Airport are also investing in the latest technology such as ‘Airport Collaborative Decision Making’ (ACDM) and advanced ground radar systems. Collectively these investments will drive operational efficiency by reducing congestion and delays.

Next year will see the completion of the airfield’s western apron with 10 new remote aircraft stands and doubling the width of taxiway Zulu, which will become a ‘multi-choice’ taxiway. Using colour coded centrelines, a UK first, it will enable narrow bodied aircraft to push back onto different sides of the cul-de-sac at the same time and taxi past one another without delay.

A further six remote aircraft stands will be reconfigured and upgraded. The newly constructed section of taxiway Echo will also open, which will create a triple-parallel taxiway system running towards the runways.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock