• Admin
Aviation \minister Officially Marks The Start Of Birmingham Airport's £30m Departure Lounge Extension
1579813342448.png
The start of construction on Birmingham Airport’s £30m departure lounge extension was officially marked by Aviation Minister, Paul Maynard MP, today (23rd Jan)
Joined by airport CEO, Nick Barton, and newly elected MP for Meriden, Saqib Bhatti, the Aviation Minister helped to break the ground where Birmingham Airport’s biggest terminal investment in ten years gets underway. The project will provide a modern two-story extension with outdoor terrace area, growing the space by 45 per cent to create more natural light, circulation space, seating and toilets, plus five new catering units and three additional retail outlets.

The Minister, Paul Maynard’s visit to Birmingham Airport is also the second stop on his UK tour of regional airports, as part of the Department for Transport’s Regional Air Connectivity Review. The review was launched recently as part of a series of measures to support regional connectivity across the UK, to ensure that people in all corners of the country benefit from prosperity and economic growth in years to come.

Commenting on the development, Aviation Minister, Paul Maynard, said:
“Our second city’s airport serves more than one million passengers every month, so it is vital that it has the world class facilities and state-of-the-art infrastructure it deserves.

“This modern extension to the departure lounge will be good news for the whole of Birmingham, helping boost the local economy while still supporting the airport’s wider commitment of becoming net zero by 2033.”

The departure lounge extension will be 21 metres tall at its highest point and over 130 metres long. It will use one thousand tonnes of steel and at peak times will see 200 construction workers on the project.

Nick Barton, CEO of Birmingham Airport said: “The extended lounge forms part of a wider terminal transformation project, known as TE18, which will cater for the forecast growth in passenger numbers to 18 million per year by the year 2033. The departure lounge extension is the largest component of TE18 and the biggest terminal investment we have made in ten years, at a cost of £30m. Once complete early next year, it will provide a spacious and modern facility for our customers with a wide range of shops, restaurants and amenities.”

In July last year, Birmingham Airport published its Master Plan outlining how over the next 15 years it will invest half a billion pounds to meet the 40 per cent forecast growth in passenger numbers from the current 12.7 million a year today to up to an expected 18 million by 2033. All of this growth can be achieved within the existing boundary and from its current runway. Other developments taking place over the next three years forming the TE18 programme of works include an enlarged passenger security search area, equipped with the latest x-ray equipment, further self-service bag drop kiosks, increased capacity in the baggage make-up hall and additional arrivals baggage carousels. These are all key components in the airport’s strategy to provide excellent service and facilities to for its current and future passengers.

Birmingham Airport recently committed to becoming a net zero carbon airport by the year 2033, some years ahead of the UK’s 2050 target. It is developing a carbon roadmap to outline how this can be achieved over the next 15 years.

Picture Caption: (left to right) Birmingham Airport’s CEO, Nick Barton, is joined by Aviation Minister, Paul Maynard, and Saqib Bhatti MP, to officially break the ground on the £30m departure lounge extension.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock