How concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

Advertisement

Worrying reports across the news over recent days regarding the Caronavirus. How concerned are you?
fashion-man-people-sign-3952233.jpg

Last edited:

Comments

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
And this.

If this sort of thing goes on the government will have to make a major decision with martial law the ultimate. No-one wants that but if copycat morons elsewhere behave like this what other choice is there? What supermarket delivery driver would want to deliver food, even to the vulnerable, in areas where they are likely to be confronted with this?
Find the youths and arrest them. Lockdown for 6 months in a prison. Simple. I do believe we will end up with martial law. I went for my state allowed daily exercise today. That is all. I cannot explain my frustration when i would stop and try create 2m if not plenty more distancing rules and yet they still walked in front of me etc. The worst is coming from peoples simple arrogance.

jfy1999

Staff member
Apr 25, 2015
Birmingham
The chancellor is saying airlines should try to find other ways of raising money before turning to state aid.

As we know, Jet2 are doing so by putting summer 2021 on sale.

Is Mr. Branson still a shareholder in Virgin Atlantic? I've seen a lot of online commenters (who think he still owns it) calling for him to prop up the airline. Maybe they're onto something...

XEROX

Jan 15, 2009
Find the youths and arrest them. Lockdown for 6 months in a prison. Simple. I do believe we will end up with martial law. I went for my state allowed daily exercise today. That is all. I cannot explain my frustration when i would stop and try create 2m if not plenty more distancing rules and yet they still walked in front of me etc. The worst is coming from peoples simple arrogance.
I bet if troops was on the streets, they wouldn't dare do this!! scum

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I've just been to the local CO-OP to try to get some supplies. I was amazed that finally there was not only some fresh veg on the shelves, but I also managed to get some chicken breasts and toilet paper (neither of which I have seen for 2-3 weeks).
What angered me though was the behaviour of some customers and the CO-OP itself. As I walked in, I went down the first isle and stood back whilst an older (although not elderly) gentleman stood and stared at the veg for two minutes before moving on. Only then did I move on to the meat section. Whilst I was there, two people walked straight past me about 18 inches away. I got to the till and the CO-OP has sensibly marked out the floor with waiting positions at 2 metre gaps. But, they have a trolley with reduced items only 2 feet from the till I was paying at. So, whilst I was paying I had someone 2-3 feet behind me rummaging through the reduced items. I come to leave and the gentleman from earlier is ahead of me . I keep two metres back. He walks through the door and stops about 2 feet past it puts his bags down and starts re-arranging all of his shopping. I stay where I am and a woman walks up and stands about 2 feet behind me. Eventually, the man sees us waiting picks up his bag and moves about 3 feet to the side and continues re-arranging his shopping.
It doesn't matter what precautions you take yourself if others ignore the rules :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Rant over

Kevin

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Once this is over, and it will be over, how about we as a country stop relying on China so much?

We rebuild Greener Factors in the areas where there once was a "mining community", we pay a little more for better built British produced products that we can export to the rest of the world, we do it in a much environmentally friendlier manner and we hurt China's economy.

I know that globalisation has very much played it's part, some saying Aviation is a key contributor to the fast spread of the virus, however i do think they will not alter their way of lives and whilst they still have wet markets, with wild animals been killed and slaughtered live before cooked and served. With that in mind, unless they ban this, the world needs to look address this.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
@Sherburnflyer92 Sorry for bringing this up but as a nation we voted for Brexit, to open our horizons and do more trade with the rest of the world. It's hard to ignore China as they are a global economic force that offers cheap manufacturing products. We can all claim we want to buy British but money talks and if you can buy something cheaper from China you will.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
But wouldn't that be better done from us @Aviador. Not just doing trade with our own products; but also leading in green revolution where we produce green products to combat or assist with climate change - something i put in both the Brexit thread and General Election thread which many of us agreed with.

We cannot ignore the fact they've got the most vile wet food markets in the world. And until they solve this; regulate it and clean up; why should the world trade with them? Why should the world put its health at risk again because it's "cheaper"?

I'm not saying we should shut them off, not if they clean the food markets up, but until they do that as i ask why should the world put its health at risk? We have become too reliant on one world economy and look where that has got us.

Brum X

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
And how is everybody feeling ?

I must admit I have good days and bad days, yesterday was a bad day as I was grouchy all day and felt so tired which is strange as I am not doing half of what I would normally do, even my work is quiet whilst working from home.

Was a bit worried yesterday as I had heard tiredness is a sign of possible Coronaviurus but today I felt great with lots of energy and no other symptoms. Even did a home workout lasting for 60 minutes.

I am just finding it a bit hard with anxiety, not knowing when this nightmare will finish and what the other side will look like.And I have stopped putting the news on as much as that is not good for your mental health.

But yes I have found the supermarkets are well stocked again with even items such as Bread, Milk, Bakes Beans and Toilet Rolls back in supply.

At least we still have the forums and Youtube to keep us entertained.

:)

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
I'm bored of this already. I want to go back to normality. I had a rough nights sleep after been anxious about it all. Sick of sleeping too.

What is deeply worrying me is the incompetence of this government. Turned down 25,000 ventilators from EU all in the name of Brexit, we now have 30 additional for this weekend, turned down UK manufacturers deliveries who have all advised there quotas have been met early and they are ready to meet early deadlines, all in favour of someone who took his business from the UK and based it in Singapore after Brexit. Said nearly 2.5 weeks ago we would be testing 10,000 tests if not more a day and here we are another promise full of false hope delivered today. (current Rate of testing would take 22 years to test the whole of the UK). Said there is 0 capacity within the Chemical industry/University labs to process tests, only for journalists to ask the questions to the experts who have said that they've told the government they can rapidly increase processing tests if they are required to do so and there is more then enough availability within the industry.

Who this very morning had NO ministers or any of the cabinet doing any press rounds on Sky, BBC, ITV etc out of fear of been exposed as they have in the past week by Piers (who i usually cannot stand but he's doing the right thing), of lying (on Sky they said 12,000 ventilators then BBC said 8,000 ventilators - in the space of 30 minutes the UK lost 4,000).

I'm not making in political here; it would be the same if it was any government in charge. There is ALWAYS things that can be done better but the fact we are getting so many mixed messages, been told lies is frightening. It's a very very sad state of affairs at the moment.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I've been self isolating due to my daughter having some Covid-19 symptoms but on Sunday I will be back at work.

Looking at the latest virus maps it looks like we have some emerging areas of the country with spikes in the virus. Cardiff and its surrounding areas are looking particularly bad, Birmingham, Manchester aren't looking great. London is currently looking like the epicenter for the UK.

So yes its scary stuff and I share some of the feelings described by other members.

Initially the country appeared to be pulling together but then it comes out in the wash that we were turning down offers of thousands of ventilators purchased through the EU. Trump says the first words that came out of Boris's mouth in a telephone conversation were "we need ventilators". So in effect the government is politicising a national crisis that exceeds every other crisis since the second world war.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
This reported in today's Sunday Times.

The ExCell centre in London owned by Abu Dhabi National Exibhitons Company is charging the NHS up to £3 million per month rent, meanwhile the American equity company Blacksone who own the NEC in Birmingham have said that the whole complex is available for as long as required at no charge to the NHS.

Both groups have billions in assets and a few million is chicken feed to them yet somehow only one can show good judgement and that one turns out to be a red in tooth and claw investment house, strange and weird times keep safe everyone.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
This reported in today's Sunday Times.

The ExCell centre in London owned by Abu Dhabi National Exibhitons Company is charging the NHS up to £3 million per month rent, meanwhile the American equity company Blacksone who own the NEC in Birmingham have said that the whole complex is available for as long as required at no charge to the NHS.

Both groups have billions in assets and a few million is chicken feed to them yet somehow only one can show good judgement and that one turns out to be a red in tooth and claw investment house, strange and weird times keep safe everyone.
Update.

According to the BBC News page, "The owner of London's ExCel centre has U-turned on charging the NHS to use the site as a hospital."

David_itl

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2016
First time shopping at my local Morrisons for 2 weeks. Normally it takes me around an hour from the moment leaving my flat to putting the last of the shopping away. With social distancing measures in place, today it took me around an hour for the same to be achieved. Oh, the same time! /Got all what I wanted so should be another 2 weeks before another sizable shop and in the meantime, I''ll pick up the odd thing from supermarkets in the city centre whilst I am still working.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Shouldn't of even charged in the first place. Government should of waded in - were having this. Built on our land. It's ours for the foreseeable.
They could've potentially passed a law saying it belongs to the crown during the crisis but thankfully that won't be needed.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

Interesting article about the possible numbers of fatalities in the UK from COVID-19 compared with deaths from other causes, particularly flu.

Various COVID-19 reaction models are illustrated with the 'best' being roughly what we are doing at the moment (the so-called lockdown), which it is hoped will restrict COVID-19 related deaths in the UK to under 20,000. This does show the immense importance of complying with the current lockdown restrictions, otherwise the COVID-19 death toll could be far higher. For perspective, around 17,000 die from flu each year in England alone.

It's estimated that up to two thirds of those who will die from COVID-19 would die anyway within a short period because of other underlying medical condiitons, with many being elderly.

The numbers of UK COVID-19 deaths being reported daily are those where someone dies with the infection in their body. Because it is a notifiable disease such cases have to be reported. However, the virus could be the major cause of death, a contributory factor or simply present when the person died of something else. Nevertheless, the deaths are included in the COVID-19 death figures.

There are around 600,000 annual deaths in the UK - that's an average of about 1650 a day. The difference with COVID-19 is that the multiple deaths are likely to come over a much shorter period and could overwhelm the NHS.

Others have pointed out that the lockdown itself could cause deaths: mental health problems leading to suicide; heart problems from lack of activity; the impact of increased unemployment and reduced living standards; postponing some operations and cancer screening.

Bristol University researchers say a prolonged economic dip could lead to reduced life expectancy resulting from declining living standards and poorer health care. Their model is the major recession of over a decade ago.

Top Bottom