• Admin
Doncaster Sheffield Airport Reveals £10M Development Plans and meets with Government to discuss unlocking 33,000 jobs in the North
View attachment 15926

Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) welcomed the UK Aviation Minister, Paul Maynard, MP today (Thursday 30th January) as it revealed a £10M redevelopment plan for the for terminal as part of its continued commitment to provide an easy, friendly and relaxed service to its customers.

The £10m terminal investment programme for Yorkshire’s award-winning airport includes a number of improvements and new facilities based on passenger feedback, such as an expansion of the retail food and beverage offering, new gate bridges and an expansion of the arrivals hall and security search area.

Already voted the UK’s favourite airport, the improvements are in direct response to growing passenger demand, following exponential growth over the past five years which has seen DSA become the fastest growing airport in the North of the UK. Many of the proposed improvements should be completed for Summer 2021.

As part of the Government’s Regional Connectivity Review the Aviation Minister was keen to understand how Doncaster Sheffield Airport can support Government strategy to level up the North.

Airport management discussed plans which have the potential to unlock 33,000 gross jobs over the next 10 years – 10,000 of them within the next 5 years, in engineering, manufacturing aviation, energy and construction. He heard how this ‘shovel-ready’ scheme, to bring an East Coast Mainline station into the site would significantly extend the airport’s public transport catchment area to circa 9 million people within a 90-minute travel time, equivalent to the catchment of Manchester Airport and utilising existing runway capacity capable of handling 25 million passengers. The scheme offers exceptional value for money with a 22:1 return on investment.

The creation of an East Coast Mainline Station, with just 4.5 miles of track would provide direct public transport access to and from towns and cities across the entire East of the country and relieve congestion on the East Coast Mainline. If successful, Doncaster Sheffield Airport would be only the second airport in the UK to have direct mainline rail access, with a scheme deliverable within the next five years. The Airport plays an important role in reducing car journeys from passengers forced to travel to the south due to an under-provision of airline seats in Yorkshire. It also has the potential to save up to 80 million road miles and c23,000 tonnes of CO2 which currently result from surface leakage.

Robert Hough CBE, Chairman of Doncaster Sheffield Airport, said:

“Doncaster Sheffield Airport already boasts a modern purpose-built terminal building facility involving over £100 million of investment just fifteen years ago. It is so important that as we grow, we continue to maintain our award-winning passenger experience. Today’s announcement follows £3.5 million invested to create additional parking spaces to keep up with customer demand and £2m investment in our on-site solar farm that will generate 25% of the airport’s energy.

“We are pleased that the Aviation Minister recognises our position as a key part of the solution for the UK’s aviation needs and addressing the imbalance of just 1.2 seats per head of population in Yorkshire versus 10 in the South. We are committed to our part in delivering the opportunity here around DSA which with the right support from government can start making an impact on people lives in the North now, not years ahead.”

Paul Maynard, Aviation Minister, said: “Doncaster Sheffield is an award winning airport and these enhancements will make the passenger experience even better, as it provides a vital service connecting communities and business across the UK.

“We are absolutely committed to enhancing regional airports and air services and our regional air connectivity review will help deliver on the Prime Minister’s pledge to level up the whole of the UK economy.”

Nick Fletcher, MP for Don Valley, was on hand to greet the aviation minister, and highlight the potential of the scheme to support further growth and drive the creation of skilled jobs and opportunities. He said: “The airport and surrounding area have the capacity to bring much-needed jobs and skills to the region. Over 1,000 jobs and 100 businesses are already supported across the site and the potential is far greater.

“It is important that we unlock this vital asset for the region and that we encourage and develop our local children and young people to become the skilled talent pool for the growth sectors of the future”.

The development is a key part of the Airport’s 20-year Masterplan which saw passenger numbers soar to 1.45m this year and forecast to double within the next 5 years, consistent with its market breaking growth over the past five years in excess of 75%.

With a busy summer ahead, Doncaster Sheffield Airport is now just a few weeks away from TUI’s fourth based aircraft arriving, new long-haul destinations to Cancun, Mexico and Cape Verde taking off and an additional quarter of a million seats on sale; its predicting a busy summer ahead.

There appears to be three shown in the image. Does the airport it need them? Yes, probably. Tui is one of their main operators and it offers a premium service so I expect it will benefit them. The airline also uses the B787 into the airport so I would expect air bridges will enhance the airports passenger service considerably.

There appears to be three shown in the image. Does the airport it need them? Yes, probably. Tui is one of their main operators and it offers a premium service so I expect it will benefit them. The airline also uses the B787 into the airport so I would expect air bridges will enhance the airports passenger service considerably.
They are expensive though, aren't they? Bristol Airport has no jet bridges and has a bigger TUI presence that DSA. This summer the 787 will be operating every day of the week (up from 5 days a week in summer 2019) with a mixture of long-haul ( twice-weekly to both Florida and Cancun) and short-haul in a much enhanced overall programme.

The BRS owners have spent several hundred million pounds on infrastructure expansion this century with more to come but, although they have planning permission for a jet bridge, they don't seem in a hurry to install one. Presumably TUI isn't bothered either.

£10 million won't buy a huge amount these days so it's interesting that different airports seem to have different priorities.

They are expensive though, aren't they? Bristol Airport has no jet bridges and has a bigger TUI presence that DSA. This summer the 787 will be operating every day of the week (up from 5 days a week in summer 2019) with a mixture of long-haul ( twice-weekly to both Florida and Cancun) and short-haul in a much enhanced overall programme.

The BRS owners have spent several hundred million pounds on infrastructure expansion this century with more to come but, although they have planning permission for a jet bridge, they don't seem in a hurry to install one. Presumably TUI isn't bothered either.

£10 million won't buy a huge amount these days so it's interesting that different airports seem to have different priorities.
Correct 10 million won't go far the story provided only tell half the actual story it is 10 million in two phases the first phase is a grant/loan of 5M Peel want and not Peel money. Peel will invest another 5M if passenger targets are hit see the link below for more info.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/bu ... rt-1371202

The airport feel these developments will aid them in the search for new airlines. The arrival of the Dreamliner at DSA has also played a part and a fourth bases TUI aircraft will mean a busier terminal in the summer.

If the grant gets past then the airport management are going to have to find an airline or two to justify there belief that the grant and investment are worth it.

To double passenger numbers over the next 5 years the airport would have to find a loco and rely on more growth from TUI along with Wizz who seem to be less interested in growing on these shores in general at present. As always with DSA the conundrum is who can they attract they have done very well to get TUI to expand how they have over the last two years however that growth has mostly been wiped out by the exit of Flybe obviously no fault of the airport but it always looked like DSA would struggle to keep the flights when Connect got involved.

A step forward is always followed by a step back. DSA was built after the loco boom in an area where there is already a wealth of other airports it has and will continue to struggle to find extensive growth. It must surely be the only airport in the UK without a domestic link it has lost its hub links Flybe gave and has had barely any success with the big two loco's at least the owners are still upbeat on the airports chances of success however they have little interest in the airport and the bigger picture for them is the land around the airport. Me thinks the airport will have there work cut out on finding the new carrier/s to take the airport forward. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Peel are worth billions to me it seems a bit cheeky asking for the grant when they could easily have paid for it themselves or paid the first part and then asked for the grant.

Never can tell what their plans are, but I think its fair to say they have made huge improvements at Liverpool over the years.
Peel do invest in the facilities it is just a shame they don't seem to have the expertise some other airports have when it comes to route development. I am sure the airport management work very hard however it is amazing the airport can not attract anyone to fly to DSA or from DSA or if they do at least stick around.

Smaller airports such as Bournemouth and Exeter seem to be able to have a network of loco flights coupled with TUI so why DSA can't get that same mix is a huge frustration to DSA supporters.

In regards to Peel Liverpool along with DSA hasn't fared to good over the years if you look at the stats Liverpool is handling virtually the same amount of passengers that it was the first full year of operations at DSA other airports have done worse, EMA (MAG have no interest in the airport apart from cargo though) and Newcastle however on the other side Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow LBA, Luton have improved passenger numbers some considerably. Then look at MAG with Manchester and Stansted excellent at what they do.

DSA has grown over the years its also had set backs along the way bouncing back from them too recently however DSA should be in a better place handling more passengers and more airlines after 15 years. I think it is very fair people question the airport management and ownership at both airports especially DSA when it can not secure things such as a loco or any domestic or European city network AT ALL when other airports smaller than DSA can. If the airport could secure those things it would be operating with well over 2 million passengers a year not under 1.5 million.The most recent masterplan is to grow the airport significantly yes some masterplans are outrageously ambitious others like Birmingham's aren't but to grow the airport it simply needs a far greater route network which under Peel seems out of reach.

Peel do invest in the facilities it is just a shame they don't seem to have the expertise some other airports have when it comes to route development. I am sure the airport management work very hard however it is amazing the airport can not attract anyone to fly to DSA or from DSA or if they do at least stick around.

Smaller airports such as Bournemouth and Exeter seem to be able to have a network of loco flights coupled with TUI so why DSA can't get that same mix is a huge frustration to DSA supporters.

In regards to Peel Liverpool along with DSA hasn't fared to good over the years if you look at the stats Liverpool is handling virtually the same amount of passengers that it was the first full year of operations at DSA other airports have done worse, EMA (MAG have no interest in the airport apart from cargo though) and Newcastle however on the other side Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow LBA, Luton have improved passenger numbers some considerably. Then look at MAG with Manchester and Stansted excellent at what they do.

DSA has grown over the years its also had set backs along the way bouncing back from them too recently however DSA should be in a better place handling more passengers and more airlines after 15 years. I think it is very fair people question the airport management and ownership at both airports especially DSA when it can not secure things such as a loco or any domestic or European city network AT ALL when other airports smaller than DSA can. If the airport could secure those things it would be operating with well over 2 million passengers a year not under 1.5 million.The most recent masterplan is to grow the airport significantly yes some masterplans are outrageously ambitious others like Birmingham's aren't but to grow the airport it simply needs a far greater route network which under Peel seems out of reach.

You have to remember at the time DSA opened Liverpool was growing well with EZY and FR. Easyjet had no presence at MAN and I think FR was just DUB ( plus they had some dispute over fees from what I can recall )

Once this changed both airlines transferred many routes from LPL to MAN, and they still do it to a lesser extent now. Annoying as this is, Liverpool has done well to get back to 5M as both airlines haven't put a huge focus on their LPL base. Wizz continues to grow and are using more A321s this year, I actually see them more than EZY and FR for future expansion. With respect to Tui, they have always been a poor supporter of LPL even though their flights when they have them fill. I do feel they missed the boat anyway by ignoring LPL for so long and allowing Easyjet and Ryanair to grab a large amount of the market, their loss.

The main importance now at LPL is to reestablish a hub link. Lufthansa has been mentioned recently by the CEO. Liverpool is not purely Peel anymore, the local authority and a new investor came online recently. so this hopefully may help direction .

It is a shame for DSA that both loco's presence at Liverpool and the Peel link doesn't help get one over to South Yorkshire. The last set of talks that got to a fairly advanced stage were apparently with easyJet for a summer only operation.

As for Wizz it is a strange one that DSA will lose Bucharest in a few weeks time, one of the best performing routes at the airport passenger numbers wise at least. Wizz still have a big presence at DSA however growth seems to have stopped from them and they look to be focusing on mainland Europe whilst putting the odd route into other UK airports at present, we had been seeing 2-3 new Wizz routes a year but at present it is hard to where DSA gets another Wizz route to without a base forthcoming which looks very unlikely, that would certainly open up the potential for the sun routes that Wizz operate from Luton and be some competition for TUI. I'm not sure how much the airport management want to upset TUI at present with them going from two based frames in summer to three and four this summer the airport appear more than happy to keep the status quo TUI and Wizz although from the outside looking in it looks like the airport could still squeeze more rotations out of some of the popular sun routes with a different carrier.

I've seen that Liverpool isn't just under Peel ownership anymore it is something that I would like to see at DSA some sort of partnership however more successfully than when Vancouver got involved. It will be interesting to see how thing go at Liverpool for sure.

The need for any European link outside the eastern block is needed at DSA the loss of Flybe has really impacted the airport this meaning the place is back to the dark old days in winter to the point some days apart from an early morning TUI arriving back the airport doesn't see much if any more action until well after dark today being a point in case a Wizz arrives in the afternoon around 2 with another Wizz and a TUI this evening and that is it job done for the day until tomorrow morning when again one Wizz arrives with the airport not seeing another arrival for 10 hours. It is a real sad state of affairs now in the height of winter with Flybe gone and back to the bad old days of four winters ago with nothing much happening. Today did see the arrival of a Silk Way 747 in the wee hours departing well before dawn though

It is a shame for DSA that both loco's presence at Liverpool and the Peel link doesn't help get one over to South Yorkshire. The last set of talks that got to a fairly advanced stage were apparently with easyJet for a summer only operation.

As for Wizz it is a strange one that DSA will lose Bucharest in a few weeks time, one of the best performing routes at the airport passenger numbers wise at least. Wizz still have a big presence at DSA however growth seems to have stopped from them and they look to be focusing on mainland Europe whilst putting the odd route into other UK airports at present, we had been seeing 2-3 new Wizz routes a year but at present it is hard to where DSA gets another Wizz route to without a base forthcoming which looks very unlikely, that would certainly open up the potential for the sun routes that Wizz operate from Luton and be some competition for TUI. I'm not sure how much the airport management want to upset TUI at present with them going from two based frames in summer to three and four this summer the airport appear more than happy to keep the status quo TUI and Wizz although from the outside looking in it looks like the airport could still squeeze more rotations out of some of the popular sun routes with a different carrier.

I've seen that Liverpool isn't just under Peel ownership anymore it is something that I would like to see at DSA some sort of partnership however more successfully than when Vancouver got involved. It will be interesting to see how thing go at Liverpool for sure.

The need for any European link outside the eastern block is needed at DSA the loss of Flybe has really impacted the airport this meaning the place is back to the dark old days in winter to the point some days apart from an early morning TUI arriving back the airport doesn't see much if any more action until well after dark today being a point in case a Wizz arrives in the afternoon around 2 with another Wizz and a TUI this evening and that is it job done for the day until tomorrow morning when again one Wizz arrives with the airport not seeing another arrival for 10 hours. It is a real sad state of affairs now in the height of winter with Flybe gone and back to the bad old days of four winters ago with nothing much happening. Today did see the arrival of a Silk Way 747 in the wee hours departing well before dawn though

I think Wizz ( quite rightly) play things close to their chest and appear to grow gradually but it all seems quite calculated, as you say its a bit odd about Bucharest. Still Tui is a bright spark at DSA, and they have space to grow without FR etc to bother them, so be interesting to see how they go. They have a long runway too at DSA, so gives them options. Would KLM come to DSA do you think ? I think its highly likely that LPL is in dialogue again with them.

I think Wizz ( quite rightly) play things close to their chest and appear to grow gradually but it all seems quite calculated, as you say its a bit odd about Bucharest. Still Tui is a bright spark at DSA, and they have space to grow without FR etc to bother them, so be interesting to see how they go. They have a long runway too at DSA, so gives them options. Would KLM come to DSA do you think ? I think its highly likely that LPL is in dialogue again with them.
KLM have a long standing relationship with Humberside that could be an issue with trying to get them to DSA, others on here state that slots are another issue at Amsterdam likely players are short on the ground.

KLM have a long standing relationship with Humberside that could be an issue with trying to get them to DSA, others on here state that slots are another issue at Amsterdam likely players are short on the ground.
Ahh yes tend to forget about HUY.

Ahh yes tend to forget about HUY.
DSA's arrival on the scene hasn't really affected any other airport apart from Humberside the only thing Humberside really has going for it now from a passenger operation view point is the KLM link to Amsterdam that makes up most of the airports traffic over the years passenger numbers have fallen drastically.

DSA being the new kid on the block always faced the challenge of winning passengers it has from Humberside however with Humberside under 40 miles away LBA 50, EMA 60 then Manchester under 70 miles away I have always said DSA wasn't really needed it has found its place to a point serving the East of Europe and Sun routes however it will continue to struggle to reach the potential the site in general offers due to the competition it faces from elsewhere. Like the majority of airports like anything else in life really the big get bigger while the rest struggle.

If these latest developments don't bring results with new airlines/routes how the airport are talking the talk then you have to wonder what ever will.

When John Prescott, the then Deputy Prime Minister, approved the planning application for the development of the airport following a public inquiry in his decision he stated that their was no need for the airport but that the development of the airport would have significant regeneration benefits for the area. He appears to have been proved right in that DSA struggles to attract airline operators. However, as we are all aware, the owners Peel are primarily a property development company and the airport site has great potential for commercial development. Hopefully it will continue to develop underpinned by the commercial development of the surrounding land.

When John Prescott, the then Deputy Prime Minister, approved the planning application for the development of the airport following a public inquiry in his decision he stated that their was no need for the airport but that the development of the airport would have significant regeneration benefits for the area. He appears to have been proved right in that DSA struggles to attract airline operators. However, as we are all aware, the owners Peel are primarily a property development company and the airport site has great potential for commercial development. Hopefully it will continue to develop underpinned by the commercial development of the surrounding land.
Certainly seems the way forward developing the whole area which has a good few years of development in it for sure when that ends who knows what Peel will do.

A big welcome aboard Underwood I am sure you and your posts will spice up the DSA section of this forum no end :ROFLMAO:. How's Timmy doing these days?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock