Use the train. Once HS2 and HS3 are open other than to the islands there is no need for many many many domestic flights. The future is what the Victorians built.

I was thinking more about the likes of Berlin, Milan, Dusseldorf, Stuttgart etc but for the domestic market I totally agree (y)

It's just a shame that the UK is so far behind other countries when it comes to high speed rail but that's for another thread.

HS2's fine if you live in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds or close to the East Midlands hub.

Even when HS2 opens, there'll still be a need for flights from Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff, Bristol, Newquay, etc

I clearly stated that slot and aircraft availability would be an issue...

...but just because flybe used to fly the route doesn't mean the market could only sustain a flybe level of pax…

Berlin used to be 2x daily BEE - easily 1x daily 737/320 capacity
Amsterdam used to be 7x daily BEE - easily 2-3x daily 737/320 capacity
Glasgow used to be 7x daily BEE - easily 2-3x daily 737/320 capacity (2x daily easy starting soon)
Edinburgh used to be 7x daily BEE - easily 2-3x daily 737/320 capacity (2x daily easy starting soon)
Belfast used to be 7x daily BEE - easily 2-3x daily 737/320 capacity
Milan used to be 2x daily BEE - easily 1x daily 737/320 capacity
Dusseldorf used to be 4x daily BEE - easily 2x daily 737/320 capacity
Paris used to be 3x daily BEE - easily 1x daily 737/320 capacity if not more

then there was TLS, LYS, HAM, HAJ, STR all daily BEE which could easily sustain 3-4x weekly frequencies for larger aircraft.
In my experience on the AMS, GLA & EDI routes, although BE had the capacity, it would inevitably involve some sort of cancellation/consolidation during the day leading to a large number of pax being put on the last flight back.

Conformation that the Isle of Man service is still planned to happen (subject to the easing of travel restrictions).

Loganair resumes Birmingham flights today

Loganair will today (June 1) resume passenger flights at Birmingham Airport, re-establishing non-stop jet services to Aberdeen as the first step to restoring full services at the Midlands airport after the Covid-19 pandemic and the collapse of Flybe.

The first flight will take off at 18:20 from Birmingham to Aberdeen this evening (June 1). Services will initially operate four times each week – on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays – ahead of an increase to two flights each way per weekday linking Birmingham with Aberdeen from 31 August.

Loganair’s flights between Birmingham and Inverness will resume on 6 July, and will also fly on four days per week initially before building to a daily service during August. The airline is also pressing ahead with its plans to restore the former Flybe route linking Birmingham with the Isle of Man. Subject to continued progress on easing of lockdown restrictions and travel quarantine restrictions in the Isle of Man, Loganair expects to make a formal announcement about the launch of this service in the coming weeks.

Tom Screen, Aviation Director, Birmingham Airport, said: “We are delighted to see Loganair returning to flying from Birmingham, serving these key routes to Aberdeen and Inverness. The team at Loganair have placed significant emphasis on safety and we look forward to welcoming them and their customers through Birmingham in the coming week.”

The Glasgow-based airline has continued to fly more services than any other UK passenger airline during the crisis, providing essential services throughout on its key lifeline routes to the Scottish islands during April and May.

All flights will be operated under the “Safe Steps to Healthy Flying” protocols which Loganair announced on 14 May – becoming the first UK airline to set out detailed plans on how customer safety will be attained and maintained whilst Covid-19 is present. Loganair’s initiatives mirror those later announced by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

Loganair chief executive Jonathan Hinkles said: “With many businesses turning their thoughts to re-starting work after the COVID-19 pandemic, the UK’s regional air connectivity will be more important than ever. “For the sake of the recovery of the UK economy, we must enable key workers across the oil & gas, construction, service and healthcare sectors to travel swiftly, comfortably and safely throughout the country. “As well as providing travel guidance on which basis businesses can plan, we believe today’s announcement will also lend confidence to people looking forward to visiting families and friends once social restrictions permit.”

Loganair’s advice to customers regarding travel safety during the current COVID-19 crisis is available on its website, and customers are urged to check for regular updates.

A snippet from a news item ran in Business News this morning. It was more of a marketing exercise from Loganair
Full story at

As the UK economy begins to re-open for business, Loganair, the UK’s largest regional airline, has reinstated key UK domestic air routes to provide all-important connectivity for corporate travellers.

Loganair is now flying from Birmingham Airport to Aberdeen up to 4 days per week and will also begin flights to Inverness up to 3 days a week from 24th July. Though as the UK economy gradually re-opens, frequency will further increase in the coming weeks.

Loganair look to be ramping up their flights in August. Hopefully loads continue to grow over the next couple of weeks but a lot will also depend on Ms Sturgeons loosening of restrictions in Scotland.

The planned schedule for August is as follows:

LM62 08:50 ABZ
Operates Mon & Thur.

LM64 12:55 ABZ
Operates Fri & Sat.

LM66 16:15 ABZ
Operates Tue, Wed, Thur & Sun.

LM68 20:20 ABZ
Operates daily.

LM583 INV
Operates Mon - Thur at 16:25.
Operates Fri & Sat at 08:50.
Operates Sun at 12:05.

Also nice to see BHX mentioning Loganair services on it's social media channels and actively working with Loganair to get the service of the ground and showcasing that BHX has other airlines at the airport not just Jet2.

I think they are the front runner as the Loganair CEO has teased that additional routes from IOM could be on the cards and that they are interested in principle of serving BHX from IOM and I have read today that Stobart Air have supposedly scrapped their plans to operate routes from Isle of Man and Belfast City due to lack of support from wider Stobart Group.

Good morning, thanks for this news Ray. Would you know which aircraft is down to fly this route from what has become bookable?

Good morning, thanks for this news Ray. Would you know which aircraft is down to fly this route from what has become bookable?
Initially the base will be 1 Atr42 and 1 E145 but eventually it'll be 3 ATR72

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock