Travel and Airline Industry Recovery From Covid-19

Advertisement

Offint

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
Its going to be last one standing is going to make a killing at this rate.

C2FA8631-DD10-4379-A2FB-56BDF733C7C0.png

fight2win

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
I dont think people realise how serious this all is, and when the lockdown ends country by country which will take a fair time who is going to fly whilst ever this virus is about which it will be, and even when a vaccine is created the virus will be around some time plus the good old media will still be in full swing scaring us all! From what im seeing I feel believe it or not jet2 are the strongest in all this financially plus remember if this does continue where does jet2 originate from, dart group,channel express so plenty of experience in the freight sector which we most definitely require at the moment. Can anyone give anymore upto date info on jet2 financial pos?

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
The problem is that nobody knows when things are going to change but I agree that the airlines are hedging their bets in the hope that things will get better in the short term. I think it unlikely that it will. The alternative view id that they are trying to improve their cash flow by getting people to part with their cash in the knowledge that once they have hold of that cash it will be difficult for those passengers, irrespective of any legislation, to get it back easily.

I know which scenario I think they favour and their cash flow is paramount as far as they are concerned.

fight2win

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2018
baildon
My folks are due to fly with Ryanair to Alicante mid may but at the moment we have heard nothing from Ryanair and when I checked the Ryanair website they has been no update whatsoever since march which I must admit i find incredible! Ideally they are looking to change their flight to mid/late sept no doubt with a change of flight fee! Im starting to think with how this is all panning out that sept might even be too early plus if no vaccine is around then which will be the case would I want 69 and 70year old parents flying in a tin can with 186 other passengers! suggestions?

Heathrowflyer

Oct 29, 2019
Wakefield
Jet2 reporting still in healthy profit position but Virgin Atlantic looking for a buyer to bail it out....six months ago who would have thought all this would happen.

sdms8

Feb 21, 2010
I see a real issue with travel insurance over the next few years. As the average mortality age in UK ICUs for COVID is 60, and that COVID is likely to be a recurring issue , I am not sure that us oldies are going to be able to get any cover. Also , it is going to be compulsory requirement for the new ETIAS travel visa after we leave the EU.which might come in Jan 2021.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
Also , it is going to be compulsory requirement for the new ETIAS travel visa after we leave the EU.which might come in Jan 2021.
I think it is inevitable that travel insurance will face some sort of universal change due to COVID-19 and much will depend on how long it lasts and whether an effective vaccine is found. Some insurance companies, mine included, have already excluded coronavirus related claims for any new bookings made after the middle of March 2020. This isn't surprising. Nothing gets any cheaper these days and it seems that any excuse will do when it comes to insurers increasing their prices. Nothing new there then.

ETIAS has been in the pipeline since about 2015 and is still 'Work in Progress' but it isn't envisaged that it will be implemented until late 2022. Unless I've missed something there hasn't, as yet at least, been any mention of applicants needing travel insurance in order for their application to be processed and granted.

sdms8: If I have missed something of significance please point me in the direction of the relevant notice.

sdms8

Feb 21, 2010
Just seen that Greece wants the EU to adopt immunity certification, so you have to have had Covid or an effective vaccine before you can travel. They would also like temperature checks on arrival which presumably will not be insurable.

sdms8

Feb 21, 2010
Hi Agree ETIAS will probably not come in until 2022/3. If you google ETIAS VISA requirements is does give minimum medical/travel insurance requirements. It also says applicant must not pose risk of epidemic!

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi Agree ETIAS will probably not come in until 2022/3. If you google ETIAS VISA requirements is does give minimum medical/travel insurance requirements. It also says applicant must not pose risk of epidemic!
Done that and still can't find anything about insurance. Pleaswe post a workable link for me to follow.

sdms8

Feb 21, 2010
Hi Sorry my mistake I assumed it would be the same as the Schengen visa which has it as a requirement. Still think any form of travel air travel will be difficult for over 60s
for the foreseeable future.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi Sorry my mistake I assumed it would be the same as the Schengen visa which has it as a requirement. Still think any form of travel air travel will be difficult for over 60s
for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for that. I thought my eyes were worse than I assumed them to be! Not sure why air travel should really be any different for the over 60's than it is now. I fully expect, as I mentioned earlier I think, that insurance may well become even more expensive than it is now knowing the way insurance companies hike their prices given any opportunity. However if us Brits are granted visa free travel to the EU we will only need to buy an ETIAS which shouldn't push up prices. I hope. Whether we will want to travel post Brexit is a different matter however. I am of an age where travel is becoming more of a chore each year.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
I think the government advice is probably as good as it could be at present as no government anywhere really knows where this will end up, there's no way I would take a flight this year at present.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
My problem with this, and it might just be me, is that we all are being told (not asked) to maintain a 2m separation distance but are soon to be allowed to get onto an aeroplane or coach where this rule isn't possible. In the words of the old cowboy/indian films, "White man speaks with forked tongue" as things stand. They need to offer straight forward advice/instructions.

I suppose it is a matter of economics and pressure from interested parties that is the reason why differing, and therefore confusing, advice/instructions are being issued. But still not helpful. We either want to get rid asap of this virus or we want to say to hell with the guidelines and get the economy moving again. Which is it to be?

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
A post in one of the airport forums suggested Jet2 was looking into the possibility of testing people pre-flight. If this is possible it could be a way to get people moving again on a larger scale.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!

Let's get this signed and share it as much as you can.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
A post in one of the airport forums suggested Jet2 was looking into the possibility of testing people pre-flight. If this is possible it could be a way to get people moving again on a larger scale.
Apologies for sounding a negative note here but what would this prove other than a passenger proves negative at that moment in time. Then what happens when a person tests positive at the airport. All hell would break loose and the airline and the airport would quite quickly descend into chaos when families were denied boarding. Would all airlines introduce the same measures? How many people in the confines of the airport be infected? Would an airline be able to test people overseas before boarding? The list of unanswerable questions go on and on. The logistics of it all are mind boggling.

Something much more sophisicated and universally agreed as being effective and workable would be the only answer to this problem. I can't see a way forward but that sort of reasoning is way too difficult for my tiny mind to grapple with. To be realistic it is more likely that it will be necessary for the disease to relegated to an insignificant risk (ie a vaccine to treat it being available) before anything approaching normality can be assumed and of course all sorts of economic damage, across all industry sectors, will occur in the meantime. Or nations and individuals just say "What the hell".

fight2win

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2018
baildon
Before or during?......what’s the point of during if you have it before you fly, it’s too late, some people on the outbound flight may get infected and then infect people when they are at their holiday destination.
This virus spreads so easily and now we have the highest death rate in Europe and only the USA having a higher rate why would other counties want us....back to money and keeping the hotels and restaurants in business I’m afraid rather than saving lives. I have a place in The Algarve and wont be going this year, I booked a flight with Jet2 on the 17 June which I cancelled......after thinking about it why on earth would I sit on a plane full of strangers with recirculated air after I have gone out of my way on lockdown to keep me and my wife safe.....doesn’t make sence.
My parents and myself always spend end of January and February at our place near Alicante, this virus may well still be about,who knows at this stage, because my folks are getting on we are even considering driving down and back, we have done it before. I guess with the Algarve its abit more difficult as you would have to drive down and across spain into portugal

Heathrowflyer

Oct 29, 2019
Wakefield
My concern with any testing is what canny people with an infection might do... dose up with both paracetomal and ibuprofen to bring high temp down to normal for the duration needed ....its just not a safe enough measure...and what about the people who are asymptomatic but can pass the virus on? This wont keep staff...and pax ...safe. There needs to be more stringent measures in place.

Top Bottom