Travel and Airline Industry Recovery From Covid-19

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I actually normally quite like Matt Hancock. He comes across as trustworthy as any politician can. His comments today, even if he is being honest, were incredibly unhelpful considering the amount of aviation industry jobs at risk. Apart from Richard Branson kicking off about Virgin Atlantic and asking for government help, very little has been said about how the aviation industry can move forward. Boris's "Stay ALERT" and lets get back to work plan had virtually nothing about when aviation might restart. The only mention of anything related to aviation was "air passengers will need to be quarantined for two weeks". There's been virtually nothing in the governments "road map" to indicate when flights "might", "could" or "may" restart. In the meantime thousands of jobs are in the balance.

paully

Premium Member
Subscriber
Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
I actually normally quite like Matt Hancock. He comes across as trustworthy as any politician can. His comments today, even if he is being honest, were incredibly unhelpful considering the amount of aviation industry jobs at risk. Apart from Richard Branson kicking off about Virgin Atlantic and asking for government help, very little has been said about how the aviation industry can move forward. Boris's "Stay ALERT" and lets get back to work plan had virtually nothing about when aviation might restart. The only mention of anything related to aviation was "air passengers will need to be quarantined for two weeks". There's been virtually nothing in the governments "road map" to indicate when flights "might", "could" or "may" restart. In the meantime thousands of jobs are in the balance.
I take your points Aviador..Quite correct but putting myself in their place I`m not sure how they could give any concrete or meaningful insights into how/when. Much as I`m sure they would love to, I can`t help but think that proper aviation re start might be the same time frame as public gatherings/cinemas/places of worship etc and that is in the lap of when the virus starts to behave. At least the furlough until Sept will help many.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
1589300609146.png

The EU 27 have released their joint plan to gradually lift restrictions country by country until the 18 May.

Here's the Irish roadmap detailing all aspects of the economy including aviation.
1589301037665.png

Seasider

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
All European countries rely on tourism especially Italy, Greece and Spain. There will be a gradual opening of borders to allow people to travel. Whether they will or not is another matter.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Some movement over the last couple of days regarding bridging to countries with similar number of covid cases. Nothing set in stone though as yet but tour companies are starting to plan as far ahead as August now. We really need clarity from the government so people can plan ahead.
With two U turns in less then 24 hours, clarity is the last thing this government will give. When it comes to aviation they’ve been full of ifs, buts, definitely that becomes definitely not, maybes and complete silence.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
So the 14 days quarantine on international arrivals to the UK is definite, apart from Ireland.
Simon Calder was on This Morning saying that conservative MP’s are already calling this ridiculous and calling for a u turn. Industry as a whole is also calling for it to be over turned. Or a more sensible practical way of dealing with over sees travel.

ITV news sent a reporter to Greece for example, and they test all arrivals, your isolated until results are confirmed about 20 mins later. That’s more palatable.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Simon Calder was on This Morning saying that conservative MP’s are already calling this ridiculous and calling for a u turn. Industry as a whole is also calling for it to be over turned. Or a more sensible practical way of dealing with over sees travel.

ITV news sent a reporter to Greece for example, and they test all arrivals, your isolated until results are confirmed about 20 mins later. That’s more palatable.
Which I think is basically what Jet2 were suggesting except you'd be tested before you board your flight.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Which I think is basically what Jet2 were suggesting except you'd be tested before you board your flight.
Quite a sensible approach from the airline. 20 minutes, test, results, travel. Test, results, don’t travel. It’s also palatable for the public. I’d say also the test on arrival is an extra level of security and would suit the requirements of local government.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Rather telling watching the corona virus bulletin a news flash, Shearing Holidays has collapsed, which includes National, Wallace Arnold and others. All good names in travel.

Last edited:

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Very sad indeed. We were due to be going with them to Germany for Christmas, having enjoyed our first holiday with them last Xmas.

I recall Wallace Arnold and had an indirect link with them as my late father's best man was married to Margot Barr, of Barr Wallace Arnold. What a shame to see such companies fail due to this virus.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Very sad indeed. We were due to be going with them to Germany for Christmas, having enjoyed our first holiday with them last Xmas.

I recall Wallace Arnold and had an indirect link with them as my late father's best man was married to Margot Barr, of Barr Wallace Arnold. What a shame to see such companies fail due to this virus.
Its v sad, I remember my first job in a Travel Agent, we would book many clients with National and Wallace Arnold. Both v popular with clients and good quality and value.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire

Well they are pretty good a U turns. I found Priti Patel v irritating on yesterdays 5PM update. She says UK's dynamic aviation industry. Of course she must have forgotten about Monarch Thomas Cook Flybe going under plus.problems with Virgin and Rolls Royce !

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
Priti Patel is irritating full stop. She just seems to dig a deeper hole for herself every time she appears. How much longer will she be allowed to hold the shovel?

Top Bottom