Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Country
United-Kingdom
A difficult day for the United States of America and for aviation. Watching various webfeeds within the States, seeing all flags at half mast and crowds gathering for commemorations makes one think of that infamous day with no pleasure.

God Bless America!

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
The repercussions of the September 11th atrocities went far beyond New York. Many of the people who worked there were from all around the world and from all ethnicities and religions, not to mention those who perished onboard the aircraft used in the attacks. Truly disgusting behaviour by fellow human beings.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Country
United-Kingdom
Indeed, and how many will remember the attack on Washington DC. and the Pentagon and the aircraft brought down by hostages? . It is often only about the towers and I will not forget the abuse directed towards myself as my aviation interest was common knowledge in my local area.

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I was actually in the air flying from STN to NYO (Stockholm Skavsta), when the events occurred. We new nothing about it whilst on the flight (crew probably thought it best not to say anything that would risk alarming the passengers). A large group of us were on a business trip and so had a coach laid on to take us to the hotel in Stockholm. I was sat near the front and could hear the drivers radio tuned to a news channel. It was in Swedish, but I could make out 'World Trade Centre' 'Pentagon' etc I still had no idea of what had happened. It wasn't until we arrived at the hotel that the driver said we may want to view the TV as awful events had taken place. There was a large TV in the hotel reception area and it took us over an hour between arriving and checking in as we watched over and over the terrible events repeated. I remember commenting that had it been a movie everyone would be saying it was too far fetched. There were a lot of American guests staying in the hotel, who were stranded due to the closure of US airspace.
The flight back several days later was a nervous one and everyone onboard seemed to be suspicious of anyone that got up to use the toilet. We couldn't take anything into the cabin other than ourselves and the clothes we were wearing. Everything else went into the hold.

Lets hope we never see anything like that again. My thoughts and prayers to all those affected and who lost loved ones. Although time heals to some extent, the scars will always remain and anniversaries will always be a tough time.

Kevin

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
I was actually in the air flying from STN to NYO (Stockholm Skavsta), when the events occurred. We new nothing about it whilst on the flight (crew probably thought it best not to say anything that would risk alarming the passengers). A large group of us were on a business trip and so had a coach laid on to take us to the hotel in Stockholm. I was sat near the front and could hear the drivers radio tuned to a news channel. It was in Swedish, but I could make out 'World Trade Centre' 'Pentagon' etc I still had no idea of what had happened. It wasn't until we arrived at the hotel that the driver said we may want to view the TV as awful events had taken place. There was a large TV in the hotel reception area and it took us over an hour between arriving and checking in as we watched over and over the terrible events repeated. I remember commenting that had it been a movie everyone would be saying it was too far fetched. There were a lot of American guests staying in the hotel, who were stranded due to the closure of US airspace.
The flight back several days later was a nervous one and everyone onboard seemed to be suspicious of anyone that got up to use the toilet. We couldn't take anything into the cabin other than ourselves and the clothes we were wearing. Everything else went into the hold.

Lets hope we never see anything like that again. My thoughts and prayers to all those affected and who lost loved ones. Although time heals to some extent, the scars will always remain and anniversaries will always be a tough time.

Kevin
I always find it fascinating to learn how people became aware of major world events. I used to cycle quite a lot in those days and I returned home in early afternoon after a ride to find my wife and a man who had come to deal with some defects in recently-installed double-glazing standing in front of the tv screen in the lounge almost in a trance.

My wife explained that the telly had been switched on in the corner of the room with the sound turned off whilst she told the workman what was needed to be done. She was vaguely aware of seeing an aircraft flying into a building and assumed it was a film before realising that the set was tuned to the news channel.

I remember reading the autobiograpy of Sir John Stevens (later Baron Stevens) who was then Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police. Sir John's father had been an airline pilot and Sir John himself was a keen private pilot (he might still be). The commissioner was travelling by British Airways to the USA for a conference on 11 September 2001 when a cabin staff member approached him at his seat with the captain's compliments asking Sir John to go to the flight deck immediately.

On reaching the flight deck Sir John was told by the captain of the events in the USA who said that he had been instructed to return to the UK and was in the act of commencing a 180 degree turn. Because the commissioner's presence was needed urgently back in London the aircraft was allowed to bypass a large number of other aircraft stacked outside Heathrow and flew direct to the runway.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Country
United-Kingdom
I was in the Erdington area of Birmingham when my control office radioed me in my vehicle to return to base immediately to receive instructions concerning a significant movement of documents. I knew then to ask no questions and to follow orders. I worked a 36 hour shift without a meaningful break traveling the country whilst listening to BBC news mesmerized by events. I may have contributed something that day but will never know what. The team of 11 drivers had a tough day never to be forgotten. My journeys covered Birmingham, Portsmouth, East Anglia and Aberdeen with only fuel stops along the way. I cannot be more precise than that.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
People often say that they remember where they were and what they were doing at the time that Kennedy was shot and killed but I haven't got a clue where I was on that fateful day. I do however remember the 11 September though. I was visiting, for the first time, our Ipswich depot and they had, as was usual I understand, a television turned on (no sound - only pictures) in the general office which was showing the pictures of the aircraft smashing into the WTC. Not sure if they were live pictures or repeats but those images will always remain with me unfortunately.

Poshgirl

Aug 2, 2021
Birmingham
Jenny, totally agree with your sentiment.

Have BBC live feed on computer. Wasn't going to spend whole day watching TV. Battery operated candle in front window, lit at 1330.

Maybe it's also time to reflect on the close community that is pilots and cabin crew.

Where was I? At work. In office block just outside Birmingham City Centre (not far from Dartmouth Circus). Went down to onsite shop for some milk. Whilst chatting to assistant, looked up at TV to see second aircraft hit. We just couldn't believe it. Back in office, I just flopped into chair. Asked by colleague if I was okay. When I explained, everyone then switched to internet. There was a total hush then punctuated with "oh my God!" One guy disappeared into a meeting room to try and contact his friends in NY. It was four days before he found out they were all safe. What disappointed me was an ex-friend (note ex) took the stance that it didn't affect her. Was suitably admonished by her son and me.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Country
United-Kingdom
I am rather thick skinned and in no way emotional but the events of that day reduced me to jelly and not because of the increased workload and the reasons behind it. I also relieved myself of 'friends ' as they turned on me because of my interest in aviation. Education is power but equally, a lack of education is dangerous. I now expect a measurable education in people I choose to associate with.

Concorde_LBA

Apr 29, 2021
Leeds
20 years since the 9/11 attacks which destroyed the World Trade centre, Pentagon( though it got repaired) and many lives may they all rest in peace.

Poshgirl

Aug 2, 2021
Birmingham
JennyJet, your comments resonate (again!).

Lack of education is dangerous and sometimes the only way to deal with this prejudice is to "relieve" ourselves of the perpetrators. Unfortunately, no amount of attempts at educating make any difference. I learned that quickly with a close relative and her views on our military (injured troops needing help from charities. An event two years ago meant she has forfeited any right to criticise me.

Back on theme. Smithsonian Channel has 9/11 programmes on at moment. Not for the faint hearted, the stories are distressing but compelling viewing.

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
It's hard to believe that it was 20 years ago. I remember it as if it were yesterday, possibly because of what I was doing on that day. I along with many colleagues, were flying from STN to NYO with Ryanair for a company meet up. We were airborne when the terrible events happened although nothing was mentioned during the flight.
On landing, we had an hour or so coach ride to the hotel. I was sat at the front and could hear the drivers radio. It was in Swedish, but I could make out 'World Trade Centre' and 'The Pentagon' frequently mentioned. I guessed that he was listening to a financial program (still nothing had been said to us about the events). It wasn't until we reached the hotel that the driver said that their had been some terrible attacks in the US and we should check the TV. In the reception area, there were several TV's all showing the events over and over. We all stood there open mouthed and it was well over an hour after arriving that we finally checked in.
There were a lot of US citizens staying at the hotel and non of them knew when they would be able to travel home, due to the US closing it's airspace.
Our flight back to STN a few days later was very tense. The only items we could take into the cabin, were the clothes that we were wearing. Everything else had to go in the hold. If a passenger got up to go to the toilet, there were many nervous glances from the other passengers.
I remember thinking shortly after, that if it had been a movie instead of real events people would have been saying it was too far fetched.
RIP to all of those innocent people who lost their lives to these barbaric acts of cowardice. And may it never happen again.

Kevin

thunderchild

Aug 29, 2013
Lichfield
Just watched the 9/11 documentary on the BBC iPlayer - 20 years on and it’s still hard to comprehend. I remember watching the live broadcasts all afternoon that day recall vividly the sight of that second plane hitting the tower and realising it was no accident. My family had flown back from Florida the week before and it was a weird feeling thinking if it happened just a few days earlier we’d have been caught up in the flight groundings.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Country
United-Kingdom
No 'like ', sorry it seems inappropriate but the sentiments I recognise. I have caught a few recollection programmes that still reduce me to much, 50 years will not dim the unease of those events.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.