[email protected]

Feb 20, 2018
UK
Upon arrival in T2 a few weeks back, I notice most T2 legacy contact stands are now out of action or stairs are only available for aircraft.
Also on the departure board, I notice an increase in the B gates being used, I think these are the flights departing from the new remote stands north side of Pier A? And T2 western apron?

Are MAG providing any update to the next phase of the overall TP with a presentation as per phase 1?
It would be nice to see what is involved within phase 2 and the timelines.

Has it been announced what will be completed first: T2 legacy refurb or Pier B (2nd pier) being completed?

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
Upon arrival in T2 a few weeks back, I notice most T2 legacy contact stands are now out of action or stairs are only available for aircraft.
Also on the departure board, I notice an increase in the B gates being used, I think these are the flights departing from the new remote stands north side of Pier A? And T2 western apron?

Are MAG providing any update to the next phase of the overall TP with a presentation as per phase 1?
It would be nice to see what is involved within phase 2 and the timelines.

Has it been announced what will be completed first: T2 legacy refurb or Pier B (2nd pier) being completed?
Yes, B gates are bus gates (bus boarding is below the future B pier stub via quite a convoluted route). Given the temporary reduction in contact gates I’d hope the reliance on bussing is short term but I fear not.

[email protected]

Feb 20, 2018
UK
I arrived in T2 on 9th Dec with Brussels Airlines at gate 204...steps were needed as the airbridge wouldn't work for the ground staff.
Plenty of work on-going during the walk to immigration.
Passport control queue for about 5 mins, then straight out as I only had hand luggage. Nice to see M&S and Starbucks still open at that time (around 9.50pm).

Disappointed this time around of the MAN TP there are no regular updates from the MAG team/contractors detailing the progress as per phase 1.
I don't see any work on Pier 2 phase 2? Unless it's going on but well hidden...?
What will be complete first the T2 refurb or Pier 2?

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Country
Scotland
Time for an update:

According to documents that I have seen, there will be an announcement this coming week, with regards to Phase 2 of the MANTP Project. As soon as I have definite information I will update this thread.

The wider MANTP programme has been remobilised and some early enabling works have commenced to unlock the rest of the programme. This includes some demolition works including airbridges 209-212. This space will house the new "South VCC" structure (vertical circulation core). Demolition has also commenced on the redundant "Spar" and "Streecars" units in Arrivals and thd first bridge and escalators in Check-in.

In the meantime I have also read that the travelators between the station and T1 will not be replaced due to T1 becoming out of service from 2025.

Last edited:

ian_h

Jan 5, 2021
Manchester
Intrigued what a decommissioned Pier B/C looks like. Desolate empty shells with stands used for remote parking?
If the original plan is being implemented then Pier B will be refurbished to become part of an enlarged T3 , Pier C however I font recall seeing any plans for although demolishing it would open up space for remote and eventually further T2 expansion.

Billboy66

Sep 20, 2018
Wigan
The initial plan was that when the TP was completed that T2 would have three new piers CGI of T2 with 3 piers and connection to former T1 Pier C

The first new pier has obviously been constructed and has a mixture of narrow and widebody gates (T2 A Pier). The second pier (B Pier) was to be shorter than the other two piers and would be an extension from the new T2 B gates (used to bus to remote stands). The 3rd new Pier (C Pier) was to be of a similar length to first new pier (A Pier) and would include the A380 gates and airline lounges if I remember correctly.

The CGI also showed the potential for a connector to T1 Pier C (which could be refurbished and re-designated as T2 Pier D). A refurbished T1 Pier B could also become part of an expanded T3.

We know T1 is closing in 2025 so the airport will require at least one new A380 compatible gate by then (which I’m guessing will be part of the now confirmed second new Pier at T2).

Does anyone have any further information as to whether today’s confirmed second new pier will be a continuation from the new B gates (T2 B Pier) or a T2 C Pier? We know thanks to Scottie Dog that legacy gates 209-212 have been taken out of service but that would be expected due to them being directly attached to the front of the main T2 terminal building which we know is being extensively refurbished. Therefore the closure of these gates does not necessarily make it more likely that the new second pier will be a continuation of the B gates.

I would imagine it would be significantly cheaper to build a new B pier and refurbish the T2 legacy pier gates 201-208 than it would be to build the second pier as the a new C pier. This arrangement would also have the benefit of providing more airbridge connected stands in the interim before the money becomes available to build a third new pier at T2.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Feb 20, 2018
UK
The initial plan was that when the TP was completed that T2 would have three new piers CGI of T2 with 3 piers and connection to former T1 Pier C

The first new pier has obviously been constructed and has a mixture of narrow and widebody gates (T2 A Pier). The second pier (B Pier) was to be shorter than the other two piers and would be an extension from the new T2 B gates (used to bus to remote stands). The 3rd new Pier (C Pier) was to be of a similar length to first new pier (A Pier) and would include the A380 gates and airline lounges if I remember correctly.

The CGI also showed the potential for a connector to T1 Pier C (which could be refurbished and re-designated as T2 Pier D). A refurbished T1 Pier B could also become part of an expanded T3.

We know T1 is closing in 2025 so the airport will require at least one new A380 compatible gate by then (which I’m guessing will be part of the now confirmed second new Pier at T2).

Does anyone have any further information as to whether today’s confirmed second new pier will be a continuation from the new B gates (T2 B Pier) or a T2 C Pier? We know thanks to Scottie Dog that legacy gates 209-212 have been taken out of service but that would be expected due to them being directly attached to the front of the main T2 terminal building which we know is being extensively refurbished. Therefore the closure of these gates does not necessarily make it more likely that the new second pier will be a continuation of the B gates.

I would imagine it would be significantly cheaper to build a new B pier and refurbish the T2 legacy pier gates 201-208 than it would be to build the second pier as the a new C pier. This arrangement would also have the benefit of providing more airbridge connected stands in the interim before the money becomes available to build a third new pier at T2.

From the video on the airport's twitter page, it clearly shows the new pier will be the continuation of the current bussing lounge (Pier B).

Today, regarding the T2 legacy stands, I think it's only 201-208 in use (excluding stand 205, this hasn't been in use for a while and the airbridge has already been removed). I've noticed Jet2 boarding passengers via steps onto 737 & 757 aircraft at some of the legacy T2 stands due to airbridge's been taken out of service...so I don't know what the long term plans are for all of these gates/stands...

Billboy66

Sep 20, 2018
Wigan
From the video on the airport's twitter page, it clearly shows the new pier will be the continuation of the current bussing lounge (Pier B).

Today, regarding the T2 legacy stands, I think it's only 201-208 in use (excluding stand 205, this hasn't been in use for a while and the airbridge has already been removed). I've noticed Jet2 boarding passengers via steps onto 737 & 757 aircraft at some of the legacy T2 stands due to airbridge's been taken out of service...so I don't know what the long term plans are for all of these gates/stands...
Thank you that is really helpful. I had noticed from Google maps that stand 205 no longer has an airbridge. It looks like you can accommodate a maximum of 4 widebodies via airbridge on the 201-208 legacy East pier. When doing so you lose the ability to use stands 207, 205 (airbridge already removed) and 203. I would imagine they would look to have the A380 stand on the new T2 B pier rather than reconfiguring the legacy East pier as it will likely be demolished within the next 10-15 years and replaced by a link to a new Pier C. The fact the existing stand arrangement on the legacy East pier allows you to accommodate up to 7 narrowbody aircraft does provide flexibility as the mix of narrowbody to widebody changes throughout the day. I can see them possibly choosing to remove the airbridges from 207 and 203 as well.

I can only imagine that the new Pier B will be built to the maximum permissible length that can be facilitated by the new dual taxiway to T2 Pier A as it is reported that by 2025 T2 will accommodate 80% of customers travelling through the airport, making it a bit longer than Pier A but about the same length when you take into account it starts from the end of bussing lounge rather than the end of terminal building.

Last edited:

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
the legacy East pier as it will likely be demolished within the next 10-15 years .
Legacy east isn’t planned to be removed. Any T1 link would come out of the end of it (earlier plans showed pier 4 connecting to pier C to provide the link until this was discounted)

A very unscientific and quick photoshop of B pier connecting to what is already built, based on available material and the design inside of the current stub:

FDE74-F0-F-4131-4-B20-8-FF1-01-FD2705-C306.jpg

Rudney

Nov 29, 2017
Manchester
Great photoshop @marni1971 for a 'quick photoshop' job! I have a sneaky suspicion we won't see a third pier for some considerable time, but I hope I'm proven wrong! I can also envisage the recommissioning of T1 taking much longer than expected as well, again hope i'm proven wrong. Quite what will become of that mothballed space is intriguing to say the least, much of the mothballed T1 infrastructure by way of Tower Block etc has sat mostly redundant for decades. I found a link from a while back showing that there was scope for T3 to be extended out to where remote stands 56-58 currently are with a wrap around taxiway/further apron space. This would obviously encroach on Ringway Road and Midstay Carpark, but an interesting concept all the same. Anyone else seen this/got any thoughts?

Haz

Nov 8, 2017
Manchester
It would be interesting to see designs for the new pier B. I struggle to see how the short pier that was originally planned would provide enough capacity to allow the closure of T1. Also, an A380 stand would also need to be included which was originally planned for Pier C which as far as I’m aware will not be constructed by 2025 when T1 closes. Unless parts of T1 remain in use, or there is a considerable amount of remote parking with bussing I can’t see how 2025 is a realistic timescale for closing T1.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.