Hello everyone, hope you're all keeping well.
With the news on twitter that BA won't reopen their lounge in T3, is there any info on where (or even if) their revised lounge may be located in the new T2, or indeed when they may move over to the new T2. Could we see a move to no longer have a BA lounge and maybe a Oneworld lounge from Qatar or the likes, should the Oneworld carriers all move into a new T2?

I'd be interested in everyones thoughts

(credit SPD Travels)

Jamie

Does the new T2X have domestic facilities?

I know there's still plenty of uncertainty in the air, but have there been any announcements ref which airlines will T2X will serve when finally opened?
I did read sometime during 2019 that Star Alliance carriers were next up (after Jet2). EW & SN were already in T2, but LH, LX, OS, TP, SAS etc were in T1.

Does the new T2X have domestic facilities?

I know there's still plenty of uncertainty in the air, but have there been any announcements ref which airlines will T2X will serve when finally opened?
I did read sometime during 2019 that Star Alliance carriers were next up (after Jet2). EW & SN were already in T2, but LH, LX, OS, TP, SAS etc were in T1.
I think that's the big question, I remember years ago when Ryanair were in T2 it was always a bus that brought me back into the terminal (when arriving from Dublin on a 'domestic' (CTA) flight. I can't quite remember where that door was located, but I seem to remember it might have been where the new baggage facilities are?

If my memory serves me right there are plans for a domestic facility in T2, but it will not be ready for another couple of years - at least.
This. The original plans had domestic on them and I want to say I’ve seen pictures of signage with “domestic” on it but can’t be sure.

If the rumours are true and BA are moving out of T3 within the next 12/18 months, then T1 must be their eventual new location, if T2 domestic won't be ready.
I haven't heard anything ref AF/KL, but T2 would make sense for them surly.

On the subject of T2...are the fit out's of the shops/cafes/restaurants still ongoing or are they now complete?

This. The original plans had domestic on them and I want to say I’ve seen pictures of signage with “domestic” on it but can’t be sure.
There was a photo that I posted - and then was asked by the airport to remove - that had signage for, if I remember correctly, domestic and connections. I'll try to find it for reference.

I believe it said International Departures , Transit and UK Departures. What is not clear is if the directions to UK departutres takes you in a round about way to T1/T3 or to a domestic facility in T2X

Your memory Comet is excellent. There is also an additional sign, on the wall, that says Flight transfer.

I'll try and nudge a contact that I have and see whether any answers.

Call me thick, but exactly how do domestic departure facilities differ from international? We all have to go through the same security screening, as do our checked bags / hand luggage. You may be able to get away with using a photo driving licence as ID for domestic , as opposed to a passport, but that's about it from what I can think of.

Anyone arriving from an international to domestic connection will be re-screened for security.

The one thing I do remember - vaguely - at the old LHR T1 was them taking a bio-scan of your index fingerprint if entering the security search hall for a domestic flight to link the passenger to the boarding pass. Domestic & international departures mixed airside in T1. You had to re-scan your fingerpint & boarding pass before entering the domestic departure gate area of T1

Domestic arrivals are obviously different, but MAN can be rather lax on them... about 20yrs ago we flew DEN-LHR-MAN. We did not have to clear Customs in LHR and all our bags just arrived on the domestic arrivals belt in T3. We were gone - as we may have spent over the £145 each you were allowed for "other goods" at the time whilst in the USA!

Call me thick, but exactly how do domestic departure facilities differ from international? We all have to go through the same security screening, as do our checked bags / hand luggage. You may be able to get away with using a photo driving licence as ID for domestic , as opposed to a passport, but that's about it from what I can think of.

Anyone arriving from an international to domestic connection will be re-screened for security.

The one thing I do remember - vaguely - at the old LHR T1 was them taking a bio-scan of your index fingerprint if entering the security search hall for a domestic flight to link the passenger to the boarding pass. Domestic & international departures mixed airside in T1. You had to re-scan your fingerpint & boarding pass before entering the domestic departure gate area of T1

Domestic arrivals are obviously different, but MAN can be rather lax on them... about 20yrs ago we flew DEN-LHR-MAN. We did not have to clear Customs in LHR and all our bags just arrived on the domestic arrivals belt in T3. We were gone - as we may have spent over the £145 each you were allowed for "other goods" at the time whilst in the USA!

Yes the main thing is domestic arrivals which needs a separate physical route, these need to go via a separate channel since there is no passport control - although customs may still be relevant for some passengers. Ideally you also have a connections point which doesn't have security for domestic arrivals too, although if you don't the worst case scenario is you need to exit landside and re-clear security.

For outbound the reason the likes of MAN T3, and LHR T2 & T4 have biometrics of some sort is because you have a mixed domestic and international airside departures area. The biometrics act to confirm that the person who goes through security with that bp is the same person boarding at the gate. There is no legal requirement for ID for domestic flights, some airlines do not require it but some ask for ID for their own revenue protection purposes.

Taken from the report of Karen Smart (Managing Director) to the Manchester Airport Consultative Committee meeting on 23rd April:

MANCHESTER TRANSFORMATION

• Following a review of our forecasted passenger volumes and latest government
statements regarding international travel, we have decided to revise the opening date of
the Terminal 2 extension to no earlier than 21st June
• This date balances operating costs with passenger demand
• We are currently finalising a ‘go-live plan’ which has time built in for all of the activities
which need to take place ahead of opening including Trails and familiarisation.

Hope everyone's well.

I've just read a piece on the MEN re the 'Archie's' diner in T2 - they seem to be slating a July opening. With things as they are would we be likely to see a dual T1 & T2 operation, or even a full swing into T2 only ops for the Summer?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock