A few frequent flyers 'dominate air travel'

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Research has discovered that In the UK 70% of flights are made by a 'wealthy' 15% of the population, with 57% not flying abroad at all.

This has restarted the debate about a frequent flyer tax.

It should be pointed out that this research was carried out for a climate campaign group.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I'm been told this before that it's only a minority that fly and that I'm some sort of elite because I want to holiday abroad.

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
That's because your posh Jerry just like wot I am Lol.

Seriously though surely the more often you fly the more APD you have to pay a bit like fuel duty for a vehicle, I'm always suspicious of surveys like this one ie.someone with an agenda as its easy to frame the question to get the answers you want.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
  • Admin
I'm always suspicious of surveys like this one ie.someone with an agenda as its easy to frame the question to get the answers you want.
That's why I mentioned the sponsor of the research.

It's invariably the case that if, say, the smoking lobby commissions a poll into smoking the results will favour their case, or if commissioned by the anti-smoking lobby the results will favour them.

Prior to the determination of their (ultimately rejected) expansion planning application early last year Bristol Airport commissioned YouGov to carry out a poll in the South West regarding people's attitude to the expansion plans. 70% were in favour of the expansion which contrasted starkly with the submissions to the local authority where over 8,000 of the 11,000 submitted were against the expansion. Some opponents of the expansion said then that the poll was unreliable because of the airport's involvement.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Seasider has hit the bullseye, an easy target if you know the game. If one has the right and the where with all to engage with any activity, there will be a pressure group waiting for you and campaigners wanting to shame you! Aviation is about to awaken from an enforced hiatus and hey presto the activists are given ammunition to use against you, the travelling public wishing to avail the restored freedoms.

Where is the report highlighting massive food waste or the dreadful state of local roads? I CANNOT HEAR YOU, SHOUT LOUDER!!

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
In the UK, 70% of flights are made by a wealthy 15% of the population, with 57% not flying abroad at all.

Hmm, possibly trying to turn it into a rich vs poor debate to get your average person on side?

I wonder if the numbers include those who travel for business purposes, often paid for by the company. I know someone who used to travel abroad regularly for work but I would hardly have described them as 'wealthy'.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
  • Admin
Don't shoot the messenger because I've already said I'm sceptical of surveys/polls/research carried out for interested parties* but this 'research' looked at other countries as well as the UK with these results:

Canada: 22% of the population takes 73% of flights
The Netherlands: 8% of people takes 42% of flights.
China: 5% of households takes 40% of flights
India: 1% of households takes 45% of flights.
Indonesia: 3% of households takes 56% of flights.

* Two or three years ago Bristol Airport commissioned a report into the likely effects on it if air passenger duty was devolved to Wales. The Welsh Government did the same. Both enquiries were carried out by respected aviation analysts - York Aviation for BRS and Northpoint Solutions for the Welsh Government. York found that APD devolution to Wales would have a serious effect on BRS whilst Northpoint concluded that the effect would be minimal which happened to reflect the arguments of their respective sponsors.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Don't shoot the messenger because I've already said I'm sceptical of surveys/polls/research carried out for interested parties

Apologies if my reply came across as being directed towards you as it certainly wasn't meant that way. I actually quoted directly from the article but I now realise that you quoted the same line :)

Likewise I am also very sceptical about this kind of 'research'.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Apologies if my reply came across as being directed towards you as it certainly wasn't meant that way. I actually quoted directly from the article but I now realise that you quoted the same line :)

Likewise I am also very sceptical about this kind of 'research'.
No need, Ray. The thought hadn't crossed my mind. I know that is certainly not your style. :)

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
The figures from India are telling if one considers the context. I imagine the 1% are the most able to fund regular air travel out of a massive population yet that would account for the number of air movements within India!

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
This was conviniently released during a period when a number of airports have planning applications being considered. The same clap trap was pushed by the Leeds branch of the Greens AKA Extinction Rebellion / GALBA etc and their Leeds University fan club. I earn a small fraction of what these nutty professors earn and I still like to travel overseas and won't appologies for doing so. This summer, rules permitting I'm going to Tenerife. I'm already looking at Italy or Greece for next summer and won't appologies for that either.
The green fanatics risk losing the support of everyday people who formally supported the green ethos. Their tax everything attitude and demonising people for using cars and flying is not going to gain them votes in the up coming local elections.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
I recall the Green Party as a European phenomenon which became fashionable in UK as a consequence of EU membership. So fashionable in fact that I do not know what they stand for! Even election to their leadership is uncommonly complicated but perhaps someone can enlighten me if the forum permits it during a local election campaign!

Coathanger16

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Sep 29, 2016
Dorridge
Research has discovered that In the UK 70% of flights are made by a 'wealthy' 15% of the population,

I first saw those exact figures at least 5 years ago during the debate about Heathrow expansion.

At the time, and even now, I can't believe that that "few" people account for that many flights.

Also consider that 15% of the population is still 10 million people, and whilst it's technically a minority, its not a small group of people.

Perhaps we should also introduce a frequent buyer levy - the fashion industry has a bigger carbon footprint than aviation. First clothes purchase of the year is tax free, every additional purchase the tax increases. See how many of the green lobby support that!

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Nah!, The greens make their clothes from the inedible fibres we throw out thus untaxable. They can enable clothes that last decades! The original Blue Peter badge holders.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.