• Admin
Technology Could Further Strengthen Malta’s Appeal As A Safe Destination
View attachment 23282
  • March passenger traffic through MIA down 93% over 2019
  • Recent local developments bode well for the second half of 2021
  • Technology would contribute to boosting consumer confidence, which is crucial for the successful restart of air travel
Passenger traffic through Malta International Airport totalled 32,033 movements last March. Translating into a drop of 93 per cent compared to the same month in 2019, this traffic result reflects the hurdles – including low consumer confidence – still being faced by the aviation industry a year into the COVID-19 pandemic.

A rapid vaccination roll-out among the local population together with government’s recently announced plan for the restart of tourism on the 1st of June bode well for the second half of the year. However, the successful revival of air travel is also highly dependent on the restoration of consumer confidence in the industry in the build-up to summer.

“The fact that Malta is one of the European leaders in immunising its population is currently our strongest selling point with airlines and travellers looking for a safe destination this summer. Whilst commending the local Health Authority’s work with the vaccination roll-out, I would also like to stress the importance of technology at this critical point in our preparations for the safe restart of tourism,” said Malta International Airport CEO Alan Borg.

Mr Borg explained that travel has clearly become more complex following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, and that the use of technology would contribute significantly to facilitating the experience of tourists entering our islands.

A Malta app would allow passengers to upload all necessary documents – namely the passenger locator form, health declaration form, and COVID-19 test result or vaccine certificate – for verification by the authorities prior to their entry in Malta. In turn, this would give incoming passengers a heightened sense of safety and security and allow for a more seamless travel experience, whilst contributing to the restoration of consumer confidence.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock