Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
New Gatwick car park to be built

Gatwick Airport has invited tenders for a £15m contract to build a new multi-storey car park. The contract involves the design, fabrication, supply and construction of an 1,100-space car park, in a ‘ground plus 6 raised level configuration’.

The car park is to be built on a 3,200m site, with spiral access ramps external to the building's footprint. The contract is to last 14 months and the time limit for receipt of tenders or requests to participate is 28 September 2009, with the contract expected to be awarded by the end of the year.

Source

• Admin
Re: Infrastructure Developments

Gatwick transit closed

The monorail transit service that connects the north and south terminals at Gatwick Airport closed yesterday for a £45m upgrade. The trains, which have done more than 2.5 million miles, are being replaced by buses for the next 10 months and passengers are being advised to allow an extra 20 minutes to travel between the terminals.

The two trains, which have been operating since 1987, are being replaced as part of a £1bn investment programme in the airport . The transit is expected to start running again next May and July, and will only be fully operational by August 1.

Source

• Admin

MP objects to Gatwick terminal expansion plans

MP Peter Ainsworth has written to Crawley Borough Council objecting to a plan which could see the expansion of Gatwick's North Terminal. The East Surrey MP raised his objections to the full planning application from the airport, saying that while he continues to support Gatwick as a successful one-runway airport, there is understandable local worry over its future growth.

Mr Ainsworth has suggested that the timing of the application for the building of southern and eastern extensions to the North Terminal in the airport's Departures Road was inappropriate given that passenger numbers have fallen in recent times, the airport was in the process of changing ownership, and there was an on-going consultation on its future Noise Action Plan.

Crawley Borough Council planners are expected to make a decision on the application on November 10.

Source

Council to discuss Gatwick terminal expansion plans next week

Plans to extend the North terminal at Gatwick airport are to be discussed by Crawley Borough Council on Monday (October 19). The proposals would see the erection of southern and eastern extensions to the terminal.

There have been five letters of objection to the plans, including from a local MP and campaign groups. A decision will be made at the Development Control meeting to be held on Monday at the town hall.

Gatwick boss holds out possibility of second runway

Stewart Wingate, the managing director of Gatwick Airport, is demanding the Government overhaul its policy on airport capacity in the South East, saying that without this it risks the UK losing business overseas, the Telegraph reports. He also holds out the possibility of a second runway at Gatwick at some point in the future.

Mr Wingate told the newspaper that he is angry the Coalition ruled out a second runway at Gatwick and overturned plans for Heathrow's third runway without outlining a viable plan B. Like many business leaders, he says the Government should wake up to Britain's lack of air space. He said: ‘The Government will have to put serious thought into putting capacity into the South East. Earlier this year the Government announced it would review the future of aviation policy. It will really kick off in anger next year once the [review] is done.’

However, the economic imperative for extra capacity must be balanced with the ‘environmental impact’, he added. Although Gatwick has ‘headroom’ to meet increased demand, plans to grow passenger numbers from 32m to 40m by 2020, and to 45m after that, mean a second runway at Gatwick is, perhaps, inevitable – though a legal agreement with West Sussex County Council prohibits one before 2019.

Mr Wingate told the newspaper: ‘We safeguard for the eventuality of a second runway. There is an area of land where we have a plot on a graph that says let's safeguard that. We are not actively planning to build a second runway, but if in 5, 10 or 30 years' time that becomes necessary, the idea is we could then use it.’

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/gatwick ... 0811a.html

• Admin
A recent Tweet said that Gatwick was going to have 1bn pounds worth of investment. Does anybody know what is the airport planning to do?

There is actually a program currently running on Sky2 all about Gatwick Airport called 'Inside Gatwick'.

The program says that in the past the airport 'struggled to cope' but now because it is under new ownership, the airport is 'undergoing a £1bn face-lift'. Apparently the aim is to 'create the best airport in the world'. The program really does make the previous BAA owners look like fools and 'tough-talk' from the new owners will improve the airport and allow it to grow to better standards.

They are wanting to jump from the current 33million passengers/year to 45million passengers/year just using the single runway. This means that improvements in; Security, Baggage and General Terminal Space that all have to be either re-built of refurbished.
I think in general they are needing to make sure they have the capacity to cope with the drastic increase in passengers and they need to make areas within the airport more efficient and cost effective.

The program did mention that there is no possibility of another runway until at-least 2019 and this is why changes are having to be made now!

You can watch all the episodes on SkyPlayer I think, or they may have taken the first few episodes off the website, because they aired around 6weeks ago.

I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the program!

• Admin
Thanks tomleeds, that's interesting. It's a shame I don't have Sky 2 because I would have enjoyed watching that. £1bn pounds is an awful lot of money for just a facelift.

That's what I originally thought, but I suppose they are wanting to catch-up with a lot more longer-haul flights that would normally go into Heathrow, as we have seen the team at Gatwick are doing a great job securing these long-haul flights!

I suppose it may take £1bn to make 'the best airport in the world'.

Gatwick to grow by a third attracting new Asia routes

Gatwick Airport aims to grow traffic by a third in the next decade by attracting long-haul airlines from emerging markets and taking advantage of capacity constraints at Heathrow, its chief executive told Reuters. Stewart Wingate also said that Gatwick had not ruled out building a second runway that could transform it into an international hub, although it would stick to an agreement not to do so before 2019.

Mr Wingate said.‘In recent months we have attracted Vietnam Airlines and Hong Kong Airlines, while Korean Airlines and Air China start services in the coming days. Gatwick handled 33.8 million passengers last year and I think we can grow to 45 million by the mid 2020's, helped by our push on routes to Asia.’

‘There is a misconception that because Heathrow is full that Gatwick must be too but in actual fact we are only three-quarters full. London is not full and not closed for business. We are looking to fill the additional 25 percent by having more long haul flights to Asia.’

Mr Wingate added that airport owner GIP had not ruled out the idea of building a second runway at Gatwick, which would help turn it into a hub. He said ‘The option of building a second runway at Gatwick is there - we have safeguarded the land needed to do so with the local borough council - but we will not look to upturn an agreement not to build a second runway before 2019.'

For more information on this airport news story visit: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/ ... 0I20120425

It's hard to envisage a single runway operation handling as many as 45 million passengers a year. Surely that wont be possible unless the airport start banning smaller aircraft types?

Gatwick Airport renews push for second runway

Gatwick Airport will resurrect proposals for a second runway this summer as it ramps up efforts to become London’s main gateway to booming economies in Asia.

Gatwick, which has been owned by Global Infrastructure Partners since 2009, will publish a 'master plan' next month setting out what the airport will look like in eight years’ time. Photo: Alamy
By Nathalie Thomas9:30PM BST 23 Jun 2012

Details of the airport’s plans have emerged as its chief executive, Stewart Wingate, blamed rival Heathrow for giving foreign airlines a false impression that London was “closed for business”.

Gatwick, which has been owned by Global Infrastructure Partners since 2009, will publish a “master plan” next month setting out what the airport will look like in eight years’ time.

Full Story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... unway.html

London-Gatwick takes investment to over £3 billion with new five-year plan
  • £1.11 billion to be spent to support airline growth and enhance the airport experience for passengers
  • Gatwick continues to explore how it can make best use of all its existing infrastructure
  • Providing additional capacity, improving resilience and harnessing technology are all key parts of Gatwick’s plan
Chief Executive, Stewart Wingate is today announcing the new five-year Capital Investment Plan (CIP) for Gatwick Airport at the British-Irish Airports Expo in London. The airport will spend £1.11 billion up to 2023, with £266 million planned for 2018/19 alone.

Gatwick expects to continue growing its long-haul operation and predicts that passenger numbers will increase to nearly 53 million by 2023. The airport is committed to exploring how to grow sustainably, while supporting the local and national economy, improving facilities and continuing to transform services for passengers. Since the airport changed ownership in December 2009 the total investment figure, combined with this new five- year plan rises to £3.14 billion.

Wide-ranging projects are identified across the airport with a number of significant and exciting projects getting underway this year including:
  • Pier 6 Western Extension – Phase 1 works start with enabling Pier 5 to handle the A380 aircraft, so that it can move from its current home on Pier 6. This work will also involve the widening and reconfiguration of a taxiway to accommodate the 80-metre wingspan of the A380.
  • A new domestic arrivals facility, including a new baggage reclaim in South Terminal.
  • A new mezzanine level extension in the North Terminal departure lounge to accommodate new restaurants.
  • Completion of the road system and taxiway entrance to the new Boeing aircraft hangar to connect the airfield with the new facility. The new hangar opens next year and will service the growing number of long-haul aircraft operating from Gatwick.
  • Trial of biometric auto-boarding technology in the North Terminal and extending the roll-out of self-service bag drop across both Terminals.
  • Re-development of South Terminal hotel capacity.
  • Completion of the South Terminal long stay car park decking project, providing an additional 1,200 car parking spaces for summer 2018.
  • Projects to support greater use of electric vehicles, continuing to reduce the airport’s environmental impact and supporting our ambition to be the UK’s most sustainable airport.
  • Enabling works for Network Rail’s planned upgrade to the Gatwick station.
  • Investment in joint equipment for ground handlers to use at Gatwick which drives efficiency for airfield and baggage operations.
  • New reception centre for passengers with reduced mobility in the North Terminal.
Gatwick’s Chief Executive, Stewart Wingate, said:

“Gatwick is a major piece of national infrastructure, and our continued growth and ability to attract long-haul airlines is vital for the health of the UK economy, particularly in a post-Brexit world. We are exploring ways to grow our capacity, including developing new systems and processes to handle more passengers, and considering how we use all our existing infrastructure in the future.

“By committing to spend another £1.11 billion, Gatwick can continue to grow sustainably, attract new airlines and offer more global connections, while providing an excellent service to passengers.

“This year we will welcome new quieter aircraft with the introduction of A321s by easyJet and we are developing our infrastructure now, by reconfiguring airfield stands and planning for the construction of a major extension to our Pier 6 facility. These initiatives will support this next phase of growth.

“Looking beyond this capital investment programme, we welcome the Government’s support for airports making best use of their existing runways and we will plan for our longer term future by developing a Masterplan later this year”.

Gatwick is widely recognised for its award winning technological innovation– and has also identified a number of emerging projects which look to harness technology to further improve efficiency and service. Examples of these include:

• An integrated command and airport operations centre: to facilitate shared real-time operational awareness and management data between the airport, the airlines and their ground handlers.
  • Robotic car parking: explore the use of robots to park cars, offering efficient use of existing car park spaces through clos-space parking.
  • Smart taxiway lighting system: to provide real-time directional airfield ground lighting to guide aircraft to and from the runway and parking stands.
The Capital Investment Programme is a rolling five year plan which is published annually. This allows the CIP to be refreshed regularly as market conditions and operational needs change. It is published on the Gatwick website and can be found here

Gatwick Airport

It will be interesting to see how they plan to use both runways. The BBC report suggests the "emergency" runway could be used by smaller aircraft to increase the number of movements on the longer main runway. Personally I think a similar set up to how Manchester use there runways would be more effective with one runway for arrivals and the other for departures.

Personally I think a similar set up to how Manchester use there runways would be more effective with one runway for arrivals and the other for departures.

Yes I think the two runways at Gatwick are too close to allow for both to be used for landings (or take offs) simultaneously. As it will 'only' increase capacity by ~ 20-30%, I imagine it will be a case of them using one for take off and the other for landing, but they will likely be restricted by how much they can.

Also isn't the one runway restricted in what aircraft can use it? So the main runway would still have to be used for takeoffs and landings as well.

I believe the "runway" they are talking about is used at presents as a taxiway so they can get maximum use out of the single runway. It is long enough but not strong enough for the heavier airliners (wide bodies) so can only be used by B737/A320 family aircraft.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock