Emirates

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
It's been said on another aviation forum that Emirates has cancelled its Stansted and Gatwick operations until next November and all its London operations will be out of Heathrow until then.

CM.

Apr 29, 2021
Leeds
Emirates Summer 2022 UK frequency’s:
London Heathrow- 6 daily flights
Manchester- 2 daily flights
Birmingham-11 weekly flights
Glasgow- 1 daily flight
London Gatwick- 1 daily flight
London STN- 1 daily flight
Newcastle- 5 weekly flights

SeanM on Twitter

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
This video deals with an incident at Dubai Airport less than two weeks ago. It involved an Emirates B777 taking off on a 14-hour flight to Washington, USA. Because of the length of the flight there were four pilots on board, one crew to fly the take-off and a relief crew to take over later in the flight.

The aircraft continued past its normal take-off speed without lifting off and carried on to the end of the runway. It was only then by which time the 777 was travelling about half as fast again as its normal take-off speed that the crew lifted off. They then overflew a densely-populated Dubai suburb at no more than 75 feet above the buildings. Only when they reached the coast shortly afterwards did they begin to climb and carried on to Washington where the aircraft landed safely.

The video says the incident raises serious questions regarding pilots' reliance on automation and that a catastrophic crash was narrowly avoided. It also questions the airline's training where pilots are said to be told to use the highest mode of automation available at almost every portion of a flight.

There has been an ongoing discussion on another aviation website about this incident with a number of professional pilots expressing concern. Automation dependency is a recognised issue.

I have a particular interest because between 2010 and the beginning of the pandemic my wife and I flew each year with Emirates between the UK and Australia via Dubai. In the early years the aircraft were B777-300ER but A380s then took over. We hope to resume these trips at some point.

I have no expertise in the matter of flying aircraft so cannot venture an opinion but, from comments of professional pilots (alluded to in the video), there might well be some cause for concern.

A full look at the eleven-minute video will give a better a better feel of the incident than my summary. Any enquiry will no doubt take a while to carry out.

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
not to be too pedantic, but they did hand fly the aircraft, all takeoffs are hand flown. only the autothrottle would have been engaged for takeoff, and that doesn't seem to have played any part in what happened.

the issue appears (and this is obviously rumour atm) to be how the aircraft was set up and potentially the guidance provided by the flight directors - and no airline is going to start doing takeoffs without flight directors.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.