Starting a Wizz Air thread because you just never know, and current circumstances probably now warrant this to keep discussions away from other threads
Why not ask for the terminal you never know, pretty sad announcement was only made yesterday hundreds affected by it but as long as Wizz rock up at LBA asap who cares eh?

Why not ask for the terminal you never know, pretty sad announcement was only made yesterday hundreds affected by it but as long as Wizz rock up at LBA asap who cares eh?

Sadly aviation moves very quick. This isn't a dig at anyone loosing their jobs or anything but simple fact of life in aviation. Do we think CEO of Wizz Air cares about it? Probably not. TUI clearly had a back up plan as a knee jerk before they take some time to reshuffle the deck etc. It's awful what is happening at Doncaster, I feel for those affected.

The thread is correct thing to do considering there's been blurred lines with Wizz in the TUI thread in LBA, the LBA general thread, and even the infrastructure and development thread at one point. Consolidating these into one thread is the correct thing to do to stop those blurred lines and even if nothing comes of it's still possible in a few years time Wizz may look at LBA and the thread is here.

Theres been talk about them showing up here for ages if DSA did close but again nothing has been mentioned of Wizz currently.I don’t know why you’re getting so angry with the fact this thread has been created. I agree It is sad to lose an airport but the people to blame for that are the owners who in my view had their intentions from the start.

I sense a bit of pettiness. And I think it was clear that airlines would move flights to other airports it closure was happening.

I doubt anyone down DSA way would have been bothered when DSA enticed Tui away from LBA and our base was closed in 2005, and theres been plenty down there calling for LBA to close and save DSA, so dont get too high and mighty about this. I doubt many DSA supporters would think of the impact on jobs here either when calling for Jet2 to transfer to DSA in the vain hope if making it profitable!

Nobody underestimates the impact on the South Yorkshire area, and we all have sympathy and concern for those who face job losses or disruption to their lives. But the fact is that Wizz will transfer their services somewhere, and theres been rumour of it being here to Leeds. The members are entirely within their rights to discuss that without effectively being accused of gloating over DSAs demise. Perhaps you think there should be a period if respectful silence whilst all matters linked to DSA are off the agenda??

Last edited:
There was absolutely no need for that level of sarcasm. No one is gloating about any of this just reacting to facts. And if you care to read my recent posts in the LBA TUI thread you will see there is plenty of empathy for the situation

I would imagine they might be looking at how bookings are doing on LPL & BHX flights (since the DSA annoucncemnt) before making decision on moving DSA flights.
As with TUi, Wizz would be bonkers to give up on the Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire market . They will have been in discussion already with an airport about a switch of flights from DSA if the worst happened, and now it has.

IF something is going on, I do wonder, Wizz being ultra low cost as they are, if they are taking LBA to the eleventh hour to get the best deal and there may be a bot more cat and mouse before we see anything? TUI on the other hand have valuable package holiday trade they perhaps are reluctant to lose through forward bookings versus 29 Euro tickets?

As with TUi, Wizz would be bonkers to give up on the Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire market . They will have been in discussion already with an airport about a switch of flights from DSA if the worst happened, and now it has.

EMA is an alternative to LBA. They must be surely having conversations with both airports. And EMA been part of MAG would eventually lead them to doing businesses at MAN.

EMA is an alternative to LBA. They must be surely having conversations with both airports. And EMA been part of MAG would eventually lead them to doing businesses at MAN.
Well, if you make that argument, the fact that Wizz have their biggest UK operation at LTN, which is part owned by AMP Capital, (LBAs outright owners), would suggest they are more likely to select LBA. And EMA won't cater for the Yorkshire market. OK for Lincolnshire, and South Yorkshire to a degree, but not West and North Yorkshire, or East Yorkshire either for that matter.

As for MAN, that's a bit too close for comfort to their other significant operation in the North, at LPL. Operating from LPL and MAN but nothing East of the Pennines makes zero sense.

It's why I made the argument @White Heather inferring something. Airlines do deals with the owners of airport groups and then decide where to serve and the size of base - Ryanair and Jet2 are two examples both having a good relationship with MAG. easyJet less so but have good with Peel.

It may not be good for West Yorkshire citizens however they still have Ryanair if Wizz were to go to East Midlands. Bare in mind if they can strike a deal with them for based aircraft, something that LBA cannot at the moment accommodate, it gives them access to the midlands catchment area. Which can still be fed from South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. After all it's about return on investment and if they can get much more from EMA who can accommodate then why not.

TUI are going to East Midlands as well as Leeds.

It's why I made the argument @White Heather inferring something. Airlines do deals with the owners of airport groups and then decide where to serve and the size of base - Ryanair and Jet2 are two examples both having a good relationship with MAG. easyJet less so but have good with Peel.

It may not be good for West Yorkshire citizens however they still have Ryanair if Wizz were to go to East Midlands. Bare in mind if they can strike a deal with them for based aircraft, something that LBA cannot at the moment accommodate, it gives them access to the midlands catchment area. Which can still be fed from South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. After all it's about return on investment and if they can get much more from EMA who can accommodate then why not.

TUI are going to East Midlands as well as Leeds.
Well you can hope. Then the Purple Monster wont come to LBA and you will be happy. What makes you think though that Wizz will even want to base aircraft at the chosen airport? They don't base at DSA.

Well you can hope. Then the Purple Monster wont come to LBA and you will be happy. What makes you think though that Wizz will even want to base aircraft at the chosen airport? They don't base at DSA.

Access to, outside of London and Manchester, 3rd largest market in terms of Midlands. 382 aircraft on order, so therefore they have to go somewhere, and midlands would be that place. Doesn't detriment their LTN operation as that feeds London. They also did base at DSA incase you forgot. But been Wizz Air they pulled that - multitude of reasons part of it poor planning on their part.

Testing the water for them at EMA would allow them to have access to all the data they need. As you've already stated they won't go near MAN if it affects the LPL operation.

We don't have space for based aircraft; and if I was on the Wizz board team I'd certainly be looking longer term then short term serve a few routes. Hence my suggestion for EMA. Start of with operating and turn that into a base. DSA closing either keeps them in Yorkshire or sends them south to EMA.

Access to, outside of London and Manchester, 3rd largest market in terms of Midlands. 382 aircraft on order, so therefore they have to go somewhere, and midlands would be that place. Doesn't detriment their LTN operation as that feeds London. They also did base at DSA incase you forgot. But been Wizz Air they pulled that - multitude of reasons part of it poor planning on their part.

Testing the water for them at EMA would allow them to have access to all the data they need. As you've already stated they won't go near MAN if it affects the LPL operation.

We don't have space for based aircraft; and if I was on the Wizz board team I'd certainly be looking longer term then short term serve a few routes. Hence my suggestion for EMA. Start of with operating and turn that into a base. DSA closing either keeps them in Yorkshire or sends them south to EMA.
Just as well you don't work for Wizz or LBA would have no chance. You don't need to persuade me of your logic. Let's just wait and see what Wizz decide.

So they cannot go into Birmingham as that is full or near full. If they want a large base in the midlands, since they won't go MAN since by your logic it'll have a detrimental affect on the LPL operation (which to me hasn't happened to Ryanair or easyJet), EMA is the option. It's next to the M1 connecting good chunk of the country within an hour so your ignoring West Yorkshire population goes out of the window (Side note - it's why EMA is a successful cargo airport), and gives them access to a large catchment area - in terms of the midlands. Saying that isn't case makes me think you don't understand how Ryanair got so big in EMA and able to expand then into neighbouring BHX.

What can LBA offer? Currently a terminal which is not fit for purpose in growth and no growth in terms of stands. I'm not saying to ignore LBA option but it'll not be big. If I was EMA and Wizz Air I'd be looking at this as a serious contender. Test the market with point to point flights before turning it into a base.

There are 320+ A320's/21 Neo's on order. Are we to ignore the fact and not discuss longer term Wizz Air? As I've stated - EMA is part of MAG and if this gets them into a MAG group airport with the goal of been at MAN in the future then why not?

Are you more about short term knee jerk reactions or long term return investments? I know which I am.

Wizz Air UK did base at DSA but there's also Wizz Air Hungary/Europe and the bulk of their flights were non based many often late in the evening to Eastern Europe so i'd have thought LBA would be able to handle those flights.
Yes, those are what I was referring to. Wizz UK based at DSA until they left earlier this year, but it's not Wizz UK, that we are talking about, it's Wizz Europe. And at present, they do not base at DSA as you rightly say. And their usual arrival times are perfect for LBAs terminal, scheduled mainly to arrive at quieter times, also as you suggest
Post automatically merged:

So they cannot go into Birmingham as that is full or near full. If they want a large base in the midlands, since they won't go MAN since by your logic it'll have a detrimental affect on the LPL operation (which to me hasn't happened to Ryanair or easyJet), EMA is the option. It's next to the M1 connecting good chunk of the country within an hour so your ignoring West Yorkshire population goes out of the window (Side note - it's why EMA is a successful cargo airport), and gives them access to a large catchment area - in terms of the midlands. Saying that isn't case makes me think you don't understand how Ryanair got so big in EMA and able to expand then into neighbouring BHX.

What can LBA offer? Currently a terminal which is not fit for purpose in growth and no growth in terms of stands. I'm not saying to ignore LBA option but it'll not be big. If I was EMA and Wizz Air I'd be looking at this as a serious contender. Test the market with point to point flights before turning it into a base.

There are 320+ A320's/21 Neo's on order. Are we to ignore the fact and not discuss longer term Wizz Air? As I've stated - EMA is part of MAG and if this gets them into a MAG group airport with the goal of been at MAN in the future then why not?

Are you more about short term knee jerk reactions or long term return investments? I know which I am.
I just know you don't want Wizz at LBA and you couldn't make that more obvious, through your detailed argument as to why they shouldn't come here and should go to EMA - except your doing it in the LBA forum!
Like I said, it's a pointless debate. Wait and see what Wizz do.

I just know you don't want Wizz at LBA and you couldn't make that more obvious, through your detailed argument as to why they shouldn't come here and should go to EMA - except your doing it in the LBA forum!
Like I said, it's a pointless debate. Wait and see what Wizz do.

No just ensuring members don't get disappointed if they were/are to go elsewhere. I've already stated if they come good luck to them. Good luck to those who fly with them. Just because I don't want them here doesn't mean I don't want them to succeed if they were to come.

TUI have split over MAN LBA and EMA. By that logic I was, initially simply saying, they must be discussing with EMA as well as LBA - since both, give or take 10 miles, equidistance to each other (Time wise EMA is closer). Sorry I had to tell people that EMA is a potential other option they may look at.

Wizz Air, with a fleet on order, will be looking long term. Especially if their is an aim, which last time I read around them, was to grow UK division.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock