lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
United-Kingdom
The National Police Air Service has just confirmed it will be moving it's fixed wing operations to Leeds Bradford Airport due to the closer of Doncaster Sheffield.

Temporary relocation of the NPAS fixed wing fleet

Wednesday 16 November 2022
The National Police Air Service fixed wing operations will temporarily relocate to Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA) as a result of the closure of Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA).

The final operational flight left the DSA airfield on the evening of Tuesday 15 November 2022 to assist South Yorkshire Police and Lincolnshire Police.

The move has no impact on the NPAS helicopter fleet, which continues to provide air support from 14 bases across England and Wales.

The move to LBA follows Peel Group’s decision to close the airport, terminating the NPAS lease at DSA.

It is a short-term arrangement to allow sufficient time for NPAS to identify a more suitable permanent base for the crew and aircraft.

NPAS Chief Operating Officer and Accountable Manager Chief Supt Vicki White said: “Termination of our lease at Doncaster Sheffield Airport was very much against our wishes.

“We are doing all we can to minimise disruption as we move operations temporarily to Leeds Bradford Airport.

“We expect that all the extra costs created by the early termination of our lease will be met by Doncaster Sheffield Airport.”

Since 1 April 2022 (to 10 November 2022), the fixed wing crews have been deployed 648 times, in support of 41 different police forces, with a total flying time of 515 hours.
They have achieved a positive outcome rate of 92.3%.

Currently, a Base Manager, six Tactical Flight Officers and four pilots are employed in the fixed wing team. They will all relocate to the temporary Leeds base.

There are plans to recruit additional pilots in the future.

Arrangements have been put in place for planned engineering on the fixed wing aircraft to be carried out, when required, at LBA and also at Bournemouth Airport (BOH).

NPAS’s fleet of four aeroplanes operate alongside a fleet of 19 helicopters.

The aeroplanes have the capability of remaining airborne for up to eight hours and provide air support across the whole of England and Wales.

Work continues to identify a permanent new base for the fixed wing fleet.

Two police aeroplanes on the runway at Doncaster Sheffield Airport

Last edited:
Do we know how the Police are getting on at LBA IE are they happy? seems a good little operation and extra income for the airport. read elsewhere that 2 EXCEL was looking into maybe moving the B727 from MME to HUY.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock