Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Is it time to ditch Lanzarote as Lanzarote authorities have announced they want to reduce the number of low grade British tourists and encourage more high end French & Italian visitors. Are they right or do you think the Brits should vote with their feet and visit other more welcoming destinations?Lanzarote-Parque-Nacional-del-Timanfaya-01.jpg
#DitchLanzarote #BritsNotWelcome #Lanzarote

• Admin
One news outlet reported the British as essentially being riff raff and not the clientele they're really looking for.

I wouldn't want to visit a place knowing I'm really not welcome. I'm quite serious about that too with Barcelona already placed on my "do not travel to" list after the locals there campaigned long and hard to reduce the number of tourists with many multiple street demonstrations, but at least they didn't single out the British.

I can appreciate any place not wanting to be overwhelmed by tourists. A city can become saturated with non-locals leaving shortages in accommodation and putting a strain on natural habitats.

Specifically singling out the British is unforgivable though Lanzarote!
#DitchLanzarote #BritsNotWelcome

I don't read it that way. The way I read it was that they don't have the space/capacity to expand bed capacity therefore no way to increase tourists. They are now looking at ways to reduce their dependancy on the British who make for over 50% of visitors and target more the French/Spanish/Italian tourists.

Meanwhile Jet2 continue to increase their offering to Lanzarote/Arrecife from UK airports. I think its more they realise they are reliant on the British.....

Is it time to ditch Lanzarote as Lanzarote authorities have announced they want to reduce the number of low grade British tourists and encourage more high end French & Italian visitors. Are they right or do you think the Brits should vote with their feet and visit other more welcoming destinations?
If the Lanzarote authorities really do want fewer British tourists, who then vote with their feet, they will effectively be doing the authorities job for them.

I don't read it that way. The way I read it was that they don't have the space/capacity to expand bed capacity therefore no way to increase tourists. They are now looking at ways to reduce their dependancy on the British who make for over 50% of visitors and target more the French/Spanish/Italian tourists.
Why a preference for Spanish/French/Italian over British? Do those tourists spend more than the British? I'm not familiar with Lanzarote. Does it get the 'lager lout' contingent who spend most of their time drunk and partying, or is it a more refined destination? I certainly wouldn't want to holiday in a noisy place.

• Admin
Equally if the product they sell is geared towards the louts and riff raff then they need to take a closer look at their selves and the way they do things. If you're searching for a stag weekend in the Canary Islands and Lanzarote pops up in your search, it's because someone there is catering for that kind of clientele.

Have a read of this..Seems its been an ongoing desire for over 30 years. The comment near the bottom from the Tourism President rather sums it up....Get real..not going to happen!!..Oh yes don`t rely on the Italians..Very noisy and spend very little...Not for nothing are they shunned by hospitality on the mainland, where they are known as `1 drink and 4 straws`...Jet2 seem to have called it right

Lanzarote is definitely more British and Irish than nearby Fuerteventura. I’ve been twice and stayed in villas on the edge of Playa Blanca and after two visits, its enough. Very barren, look a like white washed villages and the resorts are a carbon copy of each other lacking character (Imo). As for wanting Italian tourists, my Mom had a business in Mallorca and the hotel nearby changed operator from a UK to Italian operator and all businesses reported a down turn in takings, as well as the hotel. They dress up to promenade and spend nothing. After two seasons, the British and German tour operators were welcomed back with open arms and spending in the town was back up.

Why a preference for Spanish/French/Italian over British? Do those tourists spend more than the British? I'm not familiar with Lanzarote. Does it get the 'lager lout' contingent who spend most of their time drunk and partying, or is it a more refined destination? I certainly wouldn't want to holiday in a noisy place.

It’s not a preference it’s just desire to stop reliance on British holiday makers who make up over 50% if inbound tourism.

Fuerteventura wasn't really much of a British holidaymaker island (Only the north) for a while and majority of the holidaymakers were from Germany and Scandinavia.

Like anywhere, holiday islands, there is the larger lout destinations and others which are not. Palma Mallorca has German resorts, British resorts, and then mixed of all tourist origins.

One news outlet reported the British as essentially being riff raff and not the clientele they're really looking for.

I wouldn't want to visit a place knowing I'm really not welcome. I'm quite serious about that too with Barcelona already placed on my "do not travel to" list after the locals there campaigned long and hard to reduce the number of tourists with many multiple street demonstrations, but at least they didn't single out the British.

I can appreciate any place not wanting to be overwhelmed by tourists. A city can become saturated with non-locals leaving shortages in accommodation and putting a strain on natural habitats.

Specifically singling out the British is unforgivable though Lanzarote!
#DitchLanzarote #BritsNotWelcome

Yeah UP YOURS LANZAROTE, never been to the place anyway, looooooooooooooooooooool

People tell me it is LANZAGROTTY. Two can play that game

I can't see how they can implement this without having a major effect on there economy.

Over past few years I fallen in love Lanzarote. Everyone has a go to place, Puerto del Carmen is my go to/safe place when need to get away due to my metal health problems. If prices go up it won't stop me.

Hell Ryanair were doing £20 return last month and I did consider a cheeky 2 nighter.

Last edited:
Interestingly I read today in the Mallorca Daily Bulletin that they want to cap visitors to Majorca at 16.5 million and ideally for it to reduce. However, the difference is no reference to any specific nationality.
Ideally all tourist places want balance of both their economy and environment and for things to be sustainable, but if, as is the case in Lanzarote, your economy is assisted by British tourists, then the polite thing is not to single them out with negative comments.

I think Majorca has brought in it's own restrictions to reduce rowdy tourists. They might well be mostly British who cause this bad behaviour, but they are the ones selling these types of holidays and creating the environment for this type of behaviour.

Trust me Aviador, having lived in Mallorca, the worst are not the British. It is always reported as individuals being British, as when arrested they will speak in English to the police. The Germans have a shocking reputation on the Schinkenstraße area of Arenal (Bahia de Palma) - the resort is much bigger than Magaluf/Pama Nova where the British and Scandinavians go, and it is utter carnage in summer- even worse than Magaluf which is bad enough. Even my own posse the Norwegians are bad, as well as the Finns as drinks are so cheap compared to home.

I think specifically for Mallorca they want a better balance for off peak visits and they are considering putting caps on the airport to force the balance.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock