Flying Palermo - Milan Linate - Heathrow this Saturday with Aliatalia. Came out via Rome on an A320 and then a A321 onto Sicily.

Shame my bag didn't make the connection, but were reunited the next day.

I'm going to be in London on Monday, Feb 5th and wondered if anyone can give me a little advice as to how to get to some of the spotting area's around the airfield using Public Transport?
I'll be arriving at Heathrow rail station at about 10am on the Heathrow Express from Paddington. Will be spotting until around 4pm as I will then need to go check-in at Terminal 5 for the 5:30 BA1344 service back to Leeds/Bradford

If they are landing from the east - 27L. From Hatton Cross Tube Station. On exit turn right, cross A30 then walk along for approx 800m until "grassy" area on left, the houses are in Myrtle Ave. If they are landing 27L there will be plenty of people here. If landing 27R, turn left outside Hatton Cross, to Bus Station, bear right to bus shelter on "relief road". Here catch bus (can't remember number) that go to the Terminals. It will go round the maintenance hangars and then parallel to 27R approach. Alight before the road swings right to go under the approach.
If they are using 09L/09R. Go to Terminal 5 bus station and walk northwards to come out from underneath the terminal, following road round to left and there is a grassy area where you will see everything (fine for photos) that lands on 09L. I don't know of a public transport service for 09R.
Note: bus services around the Terminals and Hatton Cross Tube/Bus Station are free even if you don't have a pass.

Thanks for that! I've never used Terminal 5 so it was interesting to see what it was like inside it's also been a very long time since I've used Heathrow. Even though it was 4.30 i was surprised by how quiet it was.

Thanks for that! I've never used Terminal 5 so it was interesting to see what it was like inside it's also been a very long time since I've used Heathrow. Even though it was 4.30 i was surprised by how quiet it was.

Thanks for watching Jerry. Glad you enjoyed.

I'm quite a fan of T5. It's an impressive structure which generally seems to remain clean and is also airy. I'm led to believe the newer Terminal 2 isn't as good as T5 and is a bit discounted, i've not flown from Terminal 2 so I cannot comment!

Yes was certainly very quiet. May of been the earliest I've ever been in an airport but i'm wondering if i've been in CWL earlier for the first KLM departure of the day. I have a 2:30am departure from Bangkok coming up so i'm not sure if that is early or late!?

Yes was certainly very quiet. May of been the earliest I've ever been in an airport but i'm wondering if i've been in CWL earlier for the first KLM departure of the day. I have a 2:30am departure from Bangkok coming up so i'm not sure if that is early or late!?
I've been at CWL for 4 am for the 6 am AMS departure and that was more busy than T5 looked! 2.30 is just a stupid time! My next flight is a 7 am departure so not too bad.

Thanks again ac. Another enjoyable video. It has to be an exceptionally good reason for me to venture out at stupid o'clock any more.

I've been at CWL for 4 am for the 6 am AMS departure and that was more busy than T5 looked! 2.30 is just a stupid time! My next flight is a 7 am departure so not too bad.

Yeah I've taken the early departure before so I must of been at CWL for a similar Sort of time before.

2.30 is a silly time but it will be straight through to cardiff to arrive at 12.50 so plenty of time to sleep!

Thanks again ac. Another enjoyable video. It has to be an exceptionally good reason for me to venture out at stupid o'clock any more.

No problem! Thanks for watching again and glad you enjoyed it!

I don't try to make a habit out of early morning departures, I haven't got a problem with getting up early but I do feel drained and tired by about mid afternoon (like on that Madrid trip!). I only usually go for an early morning departure for price or practicality reasons.

Another video from me today. Heathrow to Luxembourg in British airways Club Europe.

Another excellent video. Many thanks. Any idea of the reason for the aborted landing?

Another first-rate and enjoyable trip report video. Make you wonder why, if loads aren't that great, they have two flights within an hour of each other. Perhaps the load on this trip was not typical.

Another first-rate and enjoyable trip report video. Make you wonder why, if loads aren't that great, they have two flights within an hour of each other. Perhaps the load on this trip was not typical.
I imagine that with a route like LHR-DOH it's the frequency that is key. Similar to the LHR-NYC route.

How many Qatar LHR-DOH flights are there each day? I think that Emirtes has six, might be five, each day to Dubai. I would no think Qatar has this many each day to Doha which is why I expressed surprised at two departures so close together.

Thanks for watching everyone and your kind comments TLY! Much appreciated. Perhaps just a one off? You'd hope anyway flying a plane of that size around.

How many Qatar LHR-DOH flights are there each day? I think that Emirtes has six, might be five, each day to Dubai. I would no think Qatar has this many each day to Doha which is why I expressed surprised at two departures so close together.

I just looked at Kayak and if i'm correct, Qatar Airways are 6 daily to LHR. They're operating the A350, A380 and 77W into
LHR with 2 of each plane per day.

I believe Emirates are about to reduce to 5 daily down from 6 to LHR on a tempoary basis. I also think when BA get their 787's issues ironed out they are supposed to be re introducing LHR-DOH on BA metal. Will be interesting to see if a Qatar flight is replaced or the route will go to a whopping 7 daily flights as they operate in a joint venture.

I sometimes find it fascinating how LHR can sustain all of this traffic via the ME hubs and the direct routings to destinations in the east also. Just shows what a powerful market London is.

Thanks for watching everyone and your kind comments TLY! Much appreciated. Perhaps just a one off? You'd hope anyway flying a plane of that size around.

I just looked at Kayak and if i'm correct, Qatar Airways are 6 daily to LHR. They're operating the A350, A380 and 77W into
LHR with 2 of each plane per day.

I believe Emirates are about to reduce to 5 daily down from 6 to LHR on a tempoary basis. I also think when BA get their 787's issues ironed out they are supposed to be re introducing LHR-DOH on BA metal. Will be interesting to see if a Qatar flight is replaced or the route will go to a whopping 7 daily flights as they operate in a joint venture.

I sometimes find it fascinating how LHR can sustain all of this traffic via the ME hubs and the direct routings to destinations in the east also. Just shows what a powerful market London is.
I usually use Emirates from Gatwick going east - to Oz. There used to be three daily flights to Dubai from there, I think there might be four now, at least at certain times of the year. Later this year I will be using LHR to DXB and beyond with Emirates.

The B777 was the type used from LGW until a few years ago when it was gradually replaced by the A380 (I think now on all the flights but am not absolutely sure) which means that as well as additional flights compared with a few years ago there now more seats per flight.

Taking up your point about London and the ME, the CAA gives these passenger numbers from LHR last year to Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I've also included other UK airports for comparison purposes and to obtain a full UK picture.

Doha

Heathrow 1.287 million + 7% on 2016
Manchester 327,000 - 3%
Edinburgh 133,000 - 1%
Birmingham 126,000 + 14%

Dubai

Heathrow 2.873 million + 8%
Gatwick 966,000 + 5%
Manchester 990,000 + 6%
Birmingham 744,000 + 6%
Glasgow 467,000 + 9%
Newcastle 238,000 + 3%

Abu Dhabi

Heathrow 1.004 million + 8%
Manchester 429,000 - 2%
Edinburgh 118,000 - 8%

Looking at the ME as a whole we find these combined totals:

Heathrow 5.164 million
Manchester 1.746 million
Gatwick 966,000
Birmingham 870,000
Glasgow 467,000
Edinburgh 251,000
Newcastle 238,000

I'm traveling to LHR next week with my husband. I have a UK passport and he has a Canadian passport, can someone tell me if we will be required to go through different customs lines? Thanks in advance!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock