Been doing a bit of research for flights in April and I know there's lots of various reasons for the pricing but I find it incredibly frustrating that KLM want to charge 2 and times more for me to fly into Cardiff from Amsterdam than they do for a flight to Bristol. Cardiff is priced at £134 one way and Bristol £47, Birmingham was £82. Pricing like this doesn't help the airport PR wise especially as they'll get blamed for it.
I've just taken a week at random: 10-16 May next year.

KLM flies 4 x daily BRS-AMS and 3 x daily CWL-AMS. The fares from BRS from that sector are £45 and from CWL £55. There are one or two dates from both where the fare is £76.

As has been said BRS has more competition with easyJet flying BRS-AMS 13 times weekly (admittedly p2p only) with the easyJet BRS-AMS sector ranging between £20.99 and £69.99 for that week.
Hopefully it will make CWL-AMS more profitable for KLM. I'm sure CWL would prefer to see more passengers through the door, but if KLM can sell seats at that price then I'm sure everyone will be happier that the route is profitable.
It's often said that CWL is a profitable route for KLM which is why I wondered why CWL was one of the UK airports to have its KLM AMS flights suspended until next February.

I've just checked April and most outbound flights are £55, with only 2 dates at £64. Return flights are all cheapest £55 (depending on time of flight), but every day at least one flight is £55. So that's £110 return. Not forgetting Easter holidays at the start of the month as well. No dates show anything as a "lowest fare" in the region of £134 on way.
I've selected Apr 1st 0605 flight with KLM from CWL, returning Apr 12th on the last flight. Total cost (hand luggage only) £118.59
I've done a similar selection with EZY. Total cost £107. With KLM to/from BRS is £108.

I think when comparisons like this are done, a much broader range of dates and times needs to be looked at.

I've just checked April and most outbound flights are £55, with only 2 dates at £64. Return flights are all cheapest £55 (depending on time of flight), but every day at least one flight is £55. So that's £110 return. Not forgetting Easter holidays at the start of the month as well. No dates show anything as a "lowest fare" in the region of £134 on way.
I've selected Apr 1st 0605 flight with KLM from CWL, returning Apr 12th on the last flight. Total cost (hand luggage only) £118.59
I've done a similar selection with EZY. Total cost £107. With KLM to/from BRS is £108.

I think when comparisons like this are done, a much broader range of dates and times needs to be looked at.
We were talking about KLM being cheaper from BRS than from CWL ten years ago in the WAN and WAF forums. Then as now people were coming up with specific examples, some of which actually showed that CWL was cheaper on occasions.

In the intervening ten years the KLM flight frequencies from the respective airports have continued broadly in the same ratio 4:3 so it can be presumed that KLM is happy with its returns from both airports.

I take it that for some reason Jerry's April 2021 fare examples are particularly disproportionate.

I've no doubt some people will pay that but it will put many people off even people like me who are prepared to pay a bit extra for the convenience of flying into Cardiff. From a personal point of view I'll probably look now at a different itinerary than flying from Faro to Amsterdam to get home in April.

take it that for some reason Jerry's April 2021 fare examples are particularly
The date I'm flying back is the 27th April Amsterdam to Cardiff that's the date I'm looking at and yes I realise it's just a snapshot.

yes, i had a look at the base fares loaded for a one way in Y for AMS-CWL & BRS for a date in April, and the prices were definitely around x2 as much for the former. this isn't just that the flight you might be looking at is already busy so only higher selling classes are available, it is that the same fare & selling class is priced differently on the two routes.

DUOUfG.png

TxFbX2.png

yes, i had a look at the base fares loaded for a one way in Y for AMS-CWL & BRS for a date in April, and the prices were definitely around x2 as much for the former. this isn't just that the flight you might be looking at is already busy so only higher selling classes are available, it is that the same fare & selling class is priced differently on the two routes.
Many thanks for that KARFA.

If the same fare and selling class are priced differently on the CWL route on this day (ie more expensive), and presumably are also on those other days when the flights are more expensive from CWL, why doesn't the airline put on more seats from CWL and fewer from BRS if it is taking more money on a CWL flight? I realise other costs come into it such as airport charges but, to an outsider, the airline's actions don't seem to make much sense. I'm sure there is a reason or they would not be doing it but it's one more of those arcane airline bean counting practices that is difficult to comprehend for some people (like me) outside the business.

Furthermore, KLM has suspended its AMS flights from CWL until February but not from BRS, and has been generally operating more flights from BRS than from CWL during those periods when it has been operating to the UK during the pandemic. This can be allied to my question in the previous paragraph.

As this only seems to apply over a few days only, are there any special events that would increase demand?
I can't find any international football or rugby events that week.

Quick look at KLM and it looks like from the 12th February to 27th March KLM will operate 1 daily flight in the morning with a departure at 10.15 on the E175. Back to the default 20 weekly flights from then with it looks like 8 weekly E190 flights and 12 E175 flights.

Depends if the virus is under control by then that march 28th will happen. Its a case if its under control here or in the Netherlands as well. Least they have set a date,and if it starts then it could start at 1 daily. Lets hope it starts on that date.

I think it a case of wait and see. Everything is unpredictable at the moment.

Would think the countries tat KLM fly too are getting less and less.If things shut down perhaps the covid 19 will abate a little. Also klm might lose not as much money if they ground their aircraft.

From this article it seems more to do with new Covid-19 rules imposed by the Dutch government including a requirement for passengers and crew to show evidence of a second negative rapid coronavirus test taken just before departure.

According to KLMs website flights will resume on the 24th March and there will be a mid morning flight (10.15 departure) until the 28th March when the route will be a 17.15 evening departure from Cardiff which will operate 5 weekly (no Tuesday and Saturday flight) until 23rd April, it's back to the normal 20 weekly schedule then.
It'll be surprising if this happens to be honest!

From landing there did not seem too long till stand.Must of got lucky cus normal taxi too stand seems like its going round city till you get too stand.

From landing there did not seem too long till stand.Must of got lucky cus normal taxi too stand seems like its going round city till you get too stand.
The furthest away runway is closed i believe.

KLM are on the departure boards for Monday. Could we see them return especially with the new testing facility open.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock