I have heard from a good source that Ryanair is to base a fourth aircraft at LBA next summer, perhaps at the expense of Liverpool.

I have heard from a good source that Ryanair is to base a fourth aircraft at LBA next summer, perhaps at the expense of Liverpool.

There's nothing like a good rumour but we get the Ryanair rumour this time every year.

Take one look at Ryanair's already released for sale summer 2019 schedule and to me it looks finalised. Especially now that all the gaps have been filled in.

https://forums4airports.com/threads/234/page-72#post-149821

I would love to be proved wrong though, even if it was to Liverpool's detriment.

Last edited:
Not all other bases have released there summer 19 schedules so we may get a new route from another airport based aircraft.

True but it's not quite the same as a fourth based aircraft. I don't think we'll see much more until the new arrivals facility and terminal reconfiguration is completed.

When I asked LBA management regarding parking stands at LBA and capacity, they stated that they had plans to completely re-mark the existing apron/stands and this could create room for additional aircraft (they didn't say how many). However, they did acknowledge that more stands would be required soon and of course phase 3 of the recently announced infrastructure plan is to build them, in around 2 years time. So for a short term fix, re-marking may work. I thought that in the past we had up to 24 aircraft based at LBA (in the days of Monarch) so on that basis they should just about squeeze them in next summer. One thing is certain - knowing these guys there is no way they would do any deal to take in more based aircraft without being certain they have somewhere to park them.

Reading todays piece on the BBC website about the paraplegic guy dragging himself through arrivals at Luton airport, aren't the owners there own LBA? What is the position regarding equipment that this guy expects at all airports however big or small at LBA?
From what they said on the news, LTN offered the guy a wheelchair but he refused it because it wasn't the right type of chair and required someone to push him. It seems it was a matter of principle because he felt that he should be able to move around the airport independently, not being pushed. I think it should be taken into account that the only reason that this happened is because the airline he was flying with had left his own wheelchair behind, so it wasn't available at LTN when he arrived. As far as I am aware, LTN do what most airports do by providing a wheelchair for those that don't have their own and need one. And yes, LTN is now owned by AMP Capital.

Providing an alternative wheelchair, albeit one that needed pushing, would seem reasonable in the circumstances. It was his decision not to accept it and his subsequent protest was misplaced. His real gripe should be with the airline who failed to deliver his custom wheelchair.
I agree. The legislation on accessibility requires organisations to make what are termed 'reasonable adjustments' to assist people with disabilities where required. That applies not only to wheelchairs but to the building itself. It is all about what is 'reasonable'. I think the offer of the chair is reasonable. Surely the gripe should be with the airline for forgetting to load his own wheelchair on board the aircraft and leaving it behind?

Certainly my experience at LBA is that their is never an issue with a wheelchair becoming available.
At the moment the issue is trolleys, now they are free there is never any available, which are vital for families with young children, old and disabled people. I was told by SA staff only 90 trolleys at LBA, no idea whether this is true, but hardly enough to cater for one full 737.
Jet2 staff had to wheel our cases out the baggage hall as no trolleys available, allowing our son then to load on a trolley he had brought in from the car park (in fact he brought 4 together). In fact they were using the high backed wheelchairs as luggage trolleys, the situation so bad.
Its the opposite way in the car park if your part of the early morning rush, no trolleys available.
Maybe bringing back the £2 charge is the answer, certainly £2 well spent in the past for us.
Whilst I accept being independant is important to all of us, I am not sure about the form of protest this guy made a Luton. Airport staff do a great job for the disabled, if the system breaks down, common sense needs to be shown by all. I remember a few years at LBA a guy moaning as he had to be carried up the steps on to the plane, at the time my OH smiled as happened to her on a number of occasions, she was just glad to get on the plane, by whatever means.
During the recent floods in Spain, she had to be carried in to our hotel by hunky fireman, still not removed the smile from her face. Just so grateful we could get to our bed.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock