Being originally from the West Midlands and now living in Cambridgeshire, I'm not familiar with the local press in Yorkshire. You are (of course) more than welcome to pass on my post to the local papers and even the national ones too.

Regards

Kevin

I would suggest it's a waste of time. They belong to the bigger cartel of media which is funded by the cartel that gather in Davos. That have an agenda, using fake data, to push. And climate change has not become a cult. A religion to worship.

How many? 17 between 12:25 and 3:30pm. Surely that's a record. Also that must mean 17 out between that time. It's amazing. (I'd count 18 as 11:55am Jet2 from Reus set's it all off).

Jet2 has 66% of all arrivals in that period.

Saturday nights into Sunday mornings have become a talking point with family friend. She lives in Burley, not bothered by the airport, but always raises it every summer that there's usually around 6/7 arrivals, mostly Jet2, all between 0130 and 0300.
July and aug im quieter at work so will have to get myself upto the cemetery rd view point for sure, weds eves, thurs and friday look really decent, in fact most afternoons do. Hopefully might bump into some of you guys and gals off here.

Hmm! These anti airport NIMBYs who have been moaning about night movements are not going to be happy. They are going to need a considerably bigger spreadsheet to show off to Look North!

Over the next two days, LBA has no less than 36 night time movements. 8 departures both Friday and Saturday before 0700, and 8 arrivals after 2300 on Friday/Saturday, and 12, the most I have seen, all after midnight Sunday morning.

Am I bovvered?
It makes you wonder how so many can be within the limits set. Maybe there is unused quota from last year that's been carried forward?

It makes you wonder how so many can be within the limits set. Maybe there is unused quota from last year that's been carried forward?
Before covid during 2019 we used to see plenty of night time arrivals after midnight, sometimes upto 10 or more but yes i think this year there are slightly more, had plenty of arrivals over baildon last night due to a runway 14 landing, love the sound of them altho do prefer the sound of Airbuses over boeing, sends me to sleep!

Well there's no limit on any particular day, just over the whole summer period. To meet the 2800 across Summer, the weekly average is around 90 movements, based on summer being British Summer Time, more if it's May to October . In April there weren't many, so some credit was probably built up, but they will be eating into that now and then some for the next few months. Presumably the numbers will drop off again from late September.

Normally they can carry forward a small percentage of unused movements from the previous year - 5% I believe. However, as we now know, it's likely that for one reason or another, there was no shortfall last year, quite the opposite, so nothing to bring forward for this summer. Expect a few ore 0700 departures to suffer minor delays and not depart until 0700!

One evening last week I noticed on FR24 a couple of morning departures were already showing a ten minute delay. Eg. 06:50 became 07:00. I'm guessing this could be related but won't have any major impact on flights. I may have mentioned this before but all this likely means is taxiway improvements such as a parallel down to the 32 end are more likely to enable the airport to increase movements at busier times.

I've heard ATC advising certain early (i.e. before 7a.m.) flights that they cannot depart before 7a.m. I expect this is because before 7 is still classed as night so a quota is being observed.

Another recent interesting development is that aircraft landing on RW32 must roll down to taxiway Echo to turn round and backtrack, if they miss the Alpha 1 intersection. A 180 degree turn on the runway is no longer permitted. Why this is and whose rule it is, I don't know.

I've heard ATC advising certain early (i.e. before 7a.m.) flights that they cannot depart before 7a.m. I expect this is because before 7 is still classed as night so a quota is being observed.

Another recent interesting development is that aircraft landing on RW32 must roll down to taxiway Echo to turn round and backtrack, if they miss the Alpha 1 intersection. A 180 degree turn on the runway is no longer permitted. Why this is and whose rule it is, I don't know.
It's been mentioned last week on here that turning on the runway isn't permitted any longer to preserve the runway surface. Presumably doing the turn is scrubbing off the grooved surface if the concrete and creating additional wear.

It's been mentioned last week on here that turning on the runway isn't permitted any longer to preserve the runway surface. Presumably doing the turn is scrubbing off the grooved surface if the concrete and creating additional wear.
I wonder if this will mean harder breaking to make A1 intersection in future, or less?

Aircraft with an off blocks time between 06:45 and 07:00 cannot depart until after 07:00:01.

The stop end restriction has been put in place by management to preserve the concrete blocks they are constantly having to replace. It takes a whole night to replace one block, therefore requires a runway closure.

Given the weight of even an empty 738 is 41 tonnes that’s a hefty weight being put on the runway by an aircraft turning at low speed with its entire mass being transferred to the runway through the small surface area of its landing gear. I imagine the wear, tear and stress
on the stretch of runway where turns were made was pretty considerable.

Aircraft with an off blocks time between 06:45 and 07:00 cannot depart until after 07:00:01.

The stop end restriction has been put in place by management to preserve the concrete blocks they are constantly having to replace. It takes a whole night to replace one block, therefore requires a runway closure.
You would think concrete would be very resilient to this kind of stress, unless its the grooves that cause the weakness.

You would think concrete would be very resilient to this kind of stress, unless its the grooves that cause the weakness.
It probably is, up to a point, but the grooving is certain to weaken it to a degree and, once there is even the slightest amount of damage, the pressure applied by undercarriage turning on the damaged area will accelerate any wear considerably. Each concrete block costs approximately £35k to replace according to the airport CEO, and the runway has 4225 blocks, so it's no surprise they are trying to reduce wear and costs, and the need for overnight runway closures throughout much of the winter each year.

It probably is, up to a point, but the grooving is certain to weaken it to a degree and, once there is even the slightest amount of damage, the pressure applied by undercarriage turning on the damaged area will accelerate any wear considerably. Each concrete block costs approximately £35k to replace according to the airport CEO, and the runway gas 4225 blocks, so it's no surprise they are trying to reduce wear and costs.
So do you think this will mean harder braking as aircraft try to stop for the turn off or will they just brake less knowing they will be using the loop?

It probably is, up to a point, but the grooving is certain to weaken it to a degree and, once there is even the slightest amount of damage, the pressure applied by undercarriage turning on the damaged area will accelerate any wear considerably. Each concrete block costs approximately £35k to replace according to the airport CEO, and the runway has 4225 blocks, so it's no surprise they are trying to reduce wear and costs, and the need for overnight runway closures throughout much of the winter each year.
By 'concrete blocks', I'm assuming this refers to 'concrete segments' of the runway. 'Concrete blocks' conjurers up images of large concrete cubes by the runway.
Even without a 180 degree turn to backtrack, aircraft will still have to make a 90 degree turn to exit the runway. It doesn't appear to cause problems at other airports.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock