White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
No surprise really. A disrespect for the law and rules and staff. It’s a culture thing also - and given Romania is the most corrupt country in the world.

If the Romanian flights are moved to let’s say 10pm, shut duty free? Stops tea leaves.
Given that duty free is situated in an open circulation area which passengers pass through on their way to the departures area, that might prove difficult.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
No surprise really. A disrespect for the law and rules and staff. It’s a culture thing also - and given Romania is the most corrupt country in the world.

If the Romanian flights are moved to let’s say 10pm, shut duty free? Stops tea leaves.
There's no way Romania is the most corrupt country in the world. Having said that in terms of criminality it does have a certain reputation, for both organised and petty crime.

HX3

Aug 14, 2020
Halifax
Romania is not the most corrupt country, I work in law enforcement and deal with country risk as part of my job and they are no where near the top. These are also individuals who are breaking the law, we should avoid stigmatising a whole group of people on their nationality. Corruption, criminality and law breaking goes across national boundaries and cultures.

A400

Aug 27, 2021
Leeds
But still doable. Nothing is too difficult.
that costs time and money and also trying to do the work whilst the airport is operational will have challenges also. And as mentioned you have to go through duty free to get to the departure gates. There’s also that to work out of how Pax get to the gates.

Personally right now I can’t see it as being doable.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
No where
that costs time and money and also trying to do the work whilst the airport is operational will have challenges also. And as mentioned you have to go through duty free to get to the departure gates. There’s also that to work out of how Pax get to the gates.

Personally right now I can’t see it as being doable.

If they move them to 1030 departures as they might have … shutters cost minimal and stock and be moved behind them. Roll the shutter across and there you have it.

I doubt WHSmith will stay open airside past a certain time. I know when I did a breif stint there MANY years ago, despite delays at 8pm we shut.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Remember that if it cant be proved that stock has been exported Duty and Vat will become payable- by the retail outlet operator. The biggest 'hit' will be on exciseable products such as spirits. Having said this I'm not sure that the duty free shop would want to close as sales are likely to outweigh losses. Also would it be ethical to deprive the majority because of the actions of a few?

White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
If they move them to 1030 departures as they might have … shutters cost minimal and stock and be moved behind them. Roll the shutter across and there you have it.

I doubt WHSmith will stay open airside past a certain time. I know when I did a breif stint there MANY years ago, despite delays at 8pm we shut.
The walkway is curved not straight. I have yet to see a curved shutter. Putting the shutters down will make it look like the back of the market - and why penalise an entire plane load because of just a few bad uns?
Based on that, we should pull the shutters down on all the bars because a few folk never know when they've had enough.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
No where
The walkway is curved not straight. I have yet to see a curved shutter. Putting the shutters down will make it look like the back of the market - and why penalise an entire plane load because of just a few bad uns?
Based on that, we should pull the shutters down on all the bars because a few folk never know when they've had enough.

They’ll know who is buying from duty free so if there’s very little amounts purchases versus stolen then it could be worth it. Not only shutting at 9pm saving staff costs (they shut that time anyway) but also stop items been stolen.

Its the only realistic reason they scan your boarding pass. It doesn’t track your movement inside the terminal it’s all to do with purchase data. I’ve boarded many flights in my time to reliably inform you that the only scan boarding matters is through security so we as gate staff can take a measured guess and decision to offload or not.

I have seen curved shutters. It can be also broken into different shutters covering the curve if cheaper. It’s something they could look at.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Yes, doesn't look good. When I went to Malaga on an early flight recently at least one of the shops was shut (Accesorize) You would have thought first thing in the morning would be prime selling time.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Today was the latest Airport Consultative Committee meeting. Not a huge amount to report, not helped by the enforced absence if the CEO and Commercial Director.

The following were noted:

Passenger figures remain encouraging with average load factor 85% in September and 81% in October. This represents 91% of pre Covid (2019) figures.

Passenger figures were presented weekly and are as follows since the last week in September.

W/e. 25/9. 87,661
W/e. 2/10. 83,445
W/e. 9/10. 77,455
W/e. 16/10. 76,545
W/e. 23/10. 80,828
W/e. 30/10. 67,456
W/e. 6/11. 52,283
W/e 13/11. 43,207
W/e. 20/11. 41,064
W/e. 27/11. 42,916

Total passengers April to November
=. 2,764,948.

This compares to the same period pre Covid (2019) =. 3,188,870.

This year saw only 1 week where in excess of 100,000 pax used LBA, compared with 17 weeks in 2019.

Wizz pax figures are good with 8O% load factor. Various security issues experienced at security arising from late check in of passengers, language barriers, etc, particularly on Bucharest and Cluj Napoca flights but now improving with new signage in Romanian and the switching of some flights to avoid the Friday morning issue with 5 arrivals within an hour or less.

Flybe will continue to operate 1 daily on Belfast until Q1 2023 due to late delivery of aircraft.

Other carriers are looking to operate to LBA (no clues given) but these are not likely to start before 2024.

November pax figures negatively affected by cancellations due to fog. On time performance was 80%. Average queue time at security across the month was 10 minutes with a maximum of 30 minutes at peak periods such as Friday morning with 6 Wizz Departures plus others. The issues with Wizz were the same as those experiences at DSA on the same flights so are not unique to LBA.

LBA has received strong accreditation from the CAA for it's safety and security provisions.following an inspection.

The airport is all ready for action with regard to snow clearing, de-icing etc. ahead of the forecast cold weather.

LBA is now fully staffed but still expect to hold a jobs fair Jan- Mar 2023, seeking 50-100 staff to cover any staff departures.

LBA is installing the necessary equipment to enable liquids to be carried in luggage (subject to D of T approval) from 2024.

Work is continuing on the Airspace Change Programme. This is for airspace up to 7000' only. NATS are working on above 7000'. This is complex but preferred options will be submitted for consultation from March 2023. LBA have to fund this (as do other airports). Airlines are funding the work done by NATS.

A certain anti airport group are pushing leaflets through doors, claiming facts about the Airspace Change and what it will mean, which are wholly false and not based on anything LBA are planning. LBA proposals will be completely transparent. One member stated that the leaflets were asking for funding to fight the airport proposals, before the proposals have been decided.

Confirmed the CAA are removing DSA airspace and LBA negotiating with them so as to be able to continue current landing processes through that airspace, which is on a continuous descent basis. LBA are employing two ex DSA ATC staff shortly. DSA airspace is no longer visible on LBA radar.

Hall A upgrade

Named Project Valhalla. (!)

Now underway for 4 weeks.

Will drastically improve appearance.

New ceilings

New LED ceiling lighting including uplighting on to ceiling to make it look higher.

Pillars being slimmed down to size of structural beam only, to generate additional space.

Back of house offices screened off

14 self service hybrid check in desks ( can be self service or manned)

Average check in time of 90 seconds per passenger.

Will be suitable for up to 5.6m pax per year..

Works cost is £0.5m plus additional cost of the technology.

Work over 2 phases to minimise disruption, particularly over Christmas.

Runway repairs.

Overnight repairs underway. Capital value £2.5m.

Includes drainage repairs due to silting up and collapsed drains.

Each concrete block that needs replacing has to be done in one night and the contractor has spare machinery at all times in case of break downs. Concrete blocks are excavated, new cement laid and strength tested to obtain CAA approval within a 6 hour period.
Each concrete block costs £35,000 to replace. The full runway consists of 4225 blocks.

The long term intention is to ensure all blocks are in good repair with all drainage issues resolved then to re- surface the runway in asphalt via a rolling programme of (overnight) work so as to keep the runway operational. Target is to be completed by 2030.

Terminal Extension

Still going ahead. Expected to start late 2023.

Parkway Station

Confirmed that the recently announced transport infrastructure projects that are on hold does NOT include the LBA Parkway Station. This is going ahead as scheduled.

Other matters.

If it's not included above, it either wasn't discussed, or it was but I am not at liberty to report on it, so....
PLEASE DON'T ASK!!
Do we know why they would lay asphalt over slabs? Concrete is longer lived.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.