Or in other words refuse the new terminal plans and you end up with an extension to a none eco friendly terminal! Its just beyond believe, laughable in fact!
Well it's a point we have been making to them for the last 18 months. They didn't listen. From their point if view it's a partial victory as it will stop the change in daytime hours. Or at least, substantially delay it. However, they won't be laughing when they figure out that any expansion through the terminal extension (2019) won't include any noise insulation measures, no tree planting and none of the list of things included in the latest planning approval. As well as no carbon neutral terminal.

They will have well and truly shot themselves in the foot and, at the same time, made things worse for locals who will have their lives 'ruined' by all the extra aircraft and all that noise they apparently make.

G

Good point, how on earth can jenrick sit down and study the LBA plans in detail with so many other things going on atm inc tv appointments, does not make sense
Even more reason for him to give it the green light as he must know the main points regarding the plans. I understand he’s busy but I don’t think it should take him so long as it currently has to make a decision. The points below are the main points he should know about the plans:
  • Better transport links (which includes a rail link)
  • Environmentally friendly terminal
  • Not expansion.
  • Great for the Yorkshire economy.

Also bare in mind it is the G7 summit this week. hopefully we will hear something very soon. I cant see it being rejected/called in, if it does its absolutely ludicrous. get the economy moving, get the jobs secured, get the concrete in the ground.. no brainer

further to this - great news regarding the loads - with Eastern, they need the ATR on the route - & do something like LBA - BHD - LBA - NQY - LBA - BHD - LBA with then NQY been replaced with JER / IOM mid week rotations, I think that would work very well.

with Aurigny again great news on bookings but if this is the case why is it only x2 weekly still? I'm sure at one point it was x4 weekly - another rotation would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Well it's a point we have been making to them for the last 18 months. They didn't listen. From their point if view it's a partial victory as it will stop the change in daytime hours. Or at least, substantially delay it. However, they won't be laughing when they figure out that any expansion through the terminal extension (2019) won't include any noise insulation measures, no tree planting and none of the list of things included in the latest planning approval. As well as no carbon neutral terminal.

They will have well and truly shot themselves in the foot and, at the same time, made things worse for locals who will have their lives 'ruined' by all the extra aircraft and all that noise they apparently make.

How many passengers can the 2019 terminal extension handle? My assumption is it will bring the airport closer to 7m but not all the way there.
I know that it depends on carriers increasing their flights but if they did and all other things being equal could we get to maybe 6m?

How many passengers can the 2019 terminal extension handle? My assumption is it will bring the airport closer to 7m but not all the way there.
I know that it depends on carriers increasing their flights but if they did and all other things being equal could we get to maybe 6m?
I believe the initial estimate was 5m with further expansion to 7m, but not sure what had to be done to make that final jump. It's just as likely to be section 106 requirements as anything to do with the building itself, although frankly I wouldn't fancy 7m passing through our cramped and crazy departures.

I seem to recall though that the group that shall not be mentioned claim that LBA have to submit a further planning application at 5m.

I don't think that if LBA do the extension it will result in them dropping the new terminal plans in the longer term. Its more likely to be a stop gap measure to enable LBA to bounce back and re-build passenger throughput, as until the passengers come back, there won't be any new terminal. It's obvious now that even if approved, the new terminal has slipped back at least a couple of years.

An extension of that size to the current terminal in my opinion would be no good, due to the shape of the terminal it would still be cramped even at 4 or 5million pax and once again new and even present airlines will not go anywhere near LBA, i cant believe we have gone to this low to second best, LBA needs and deserves a brand new terminal at the eastern end, jenrick just bloody approve it!!

Thankyou for the very informative update once again @White Heather

Good to hear KLM, Ryaniar & Aer Lingus are getting good loads on there Leeds routes along with Aurigny to Guernsey .

Hearing lots of positive vibes around Eastern Airways, they did post on one of there social media accounts last week that the wont be any more new routes added for summer, but didn't rule out new routes being announced for the winter 2021/22 scheduled.

Last edited:
It’s good news to see that the flights that are currently operating are doing well load factors wise especially aurigny and if continues to do so then maybe they could consider extra flights.

Good to see a lot of work had been done within the airport, which will be better for all.

with regards to the group that shall not be mentioned I think they should be grateful he’s giving his time up to listen to them. Either take the offer or don’t. If they do have the brains to take the offer. VH can put the true facts rather than their misleading ones.

Thank you Heather for the information as always.
Problem is the group that shall not be mentioned and their mates don’t listen to the true facts, only their own highly distorted ones and that’s never going to change.

Problem is the group that shall not be mentioned and their mates don’t listen to the true facts, only their own highly distorted ones and that’s never going to change.
The quote is that there are Lies, Damned Lies, and statistics, and anti airport NIMBY cum Environmental Groups are masters of using them all to try to destroy LBA and achieve their own aims.

Today was my first attendance of the Airport Consultative Committee on behalf of the Airport Support Group

Here are the main points:

The new chairman of the airport says he is familiar with the airline business and considers himself as a friend of the airport although he has a constructive view of the airport. He says he wants the Committee to be responsive to change with balance as the key.

Some members commented on Chief Executive Vincent Hodder as being very open and pragmatic which was welcomed by several of the committee members.

Several members of the Committee commented on the airports apparent lack of ability to communicate properly with local communities which would have benefits for those communities and the airport business. It was noted that very little communication had been made with local communities and some positive PR was essential. The airport agreed that it was something they needed to readdress although there were some cases when they believed it wasn't necessarily in the interests of the airport to comment on some issues.

One member of the Committee said he thought the ITV Programme featuring LBA had caused lasting damage and he asked if there were any future plans to feature LBA to show the airport in a more positive light. The airport said they have no plans to televise the airport again at this stage. The airport also said it was difficult to communicate with the public through social media platforms.

One member commented saying the airport needs to say how it is reducing co2 such as when an aircraft is taxiing etc. The airport said it cannot measure the co2 of those types of aircraft activities but they were seeking to keep taxiing times to a minimum, saying LBA as a small airport had one of the shortest taxiing times of any airport.

Moving onto the Airport Business Update it was reported that airport traffic was picking up nicely and that the majority of retail outlets in the terminal were now open including Greggs, Starbucks, BurgerKing and In Motion Store. The airport also said the World Duty Free was doing exceptionally well. The airport said the Foreign Exchange stores were due to reopen shortly.

The airport admitted they had experienced some queuing at the departure security. This has been caused by only having one lane open due to reduced staffing. There was no indication as to when this might be addressed at this stage, but they said they were doing whatever they can to get people through. Somebody asked if Border Force were having similar problems on entry to the UK and they said no problems were being encountered and they had the maximum number of channels open.

Harrogate Chamber of Commerce asked if there were any plans to get Heathrow back. They said the airport is in constant dialogue with airline partners including IAG to re-establish the route, but it was acknowledged it probably wasn't a priority for airlines such as BA at the moment.

The airport said the ILS has had an overhaul as it wasn't performing as well as it should do. They said the decision was taken to carry out the work while the airport was quiet rather than at the end of the summer season when the fog starts becoming a problem. They said the ILS is now Cat 3 operational.

Check-in hall A screening has been upgraded at a cost of around £450,000. The previous scanner was constantly breaking down. The hall is now fully functional. It was also mentioned that lots of work around the airfield had been carried out including further installation of LED lights.

Nobody asked about the terminal so I asked if there was an update either on the new plans or if there was an update available on the 2019 plans. Charles took the answer and advised that they had contacted the government, who had pushed it back and basically said we'll let you know when we are ready to. Other than that he said the airport know as much as we do regarding the new terminal plans.

Charles went on to say the 2019 plans were being looked at further to ensure the airport has a viable alternative option if the government turns down the plans. He said this may require some physical ground work to ensure this remains a possibility.

Air Traffic Control did a presentation on new proposals to update the LBA Airspace and Routings. The airport admitted a number of mistakes were made when applying to make the changes previously. It was noted that this time it was essential the airport gets it right to comply with legacy EU and UK laws. ATC said aircraft were now moving to SAT NAV procedures and there was also a need to reduce co2 emissions by enabling continuous decent into the airfield.

Consultancy firm Sirius has been appointed to design and consult with stakeholders. There will be further public consultations at a later date. It was requested by a member of the Committee that the consultations could be done in layman's terms so it was easier for the public to understand how the changes might effect them.

I did make notes throughout the meeting but it was hard keeping up. So my pax numbers may not be 100% reliable due to the speed in which the meeting was progressing but they did say they were pleased with the figures so far.

July saw 67,000 passengers - August saw 121,000 passengers with the financial year in the region of 300,000. A considerable reduction compared with 2019 but the airport said it was positive about the future. I'm sure Heather will correct me,

I think that was just about everything.

Great report thanks.

I think the airport need to do much more in local communities, including sponsoring local organisations and events, like the Otley and Ilkley carnivals. Im also not convinced that more cant be done on social media, in fact media in general. The airport are not good at defending themselves against criticisms made y the likes of the group that shall not be mentioned.

Great report thanks.

I think the airport need to do much more in local communities, including sponsoring local organisations and events, like the Otley and Ilkley carnivals. Im also not convinced that more cant be done on social media, in fact media in general. The airport are not good at defending themselves against criticisms made y the likes of the group that shall not be mentioned.

I think you need to be realistic. The airport have had to make large numbers of staff redundant whilst many seasonal jobs have not been renewed due to the pandemic. At the same time, they are still having to spend large sums of money on airfield updates and equipment upgrades, often to meet regulations, yet their regular sources of income (parking, retail, airline movements) have all been severely reduced.
If I had lost my job at the airport I would take a dim view if the airport sponsoring events or organisations but I doubt it's affordable anyway and not likely to be so for some time to come either. Opposition groups would simply claim that the airport was trying to buy support by such actions and turn it into a negative.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock