The new Malta flights from EXT and CWL don't seem to be having any effect on the BRS-MLA route at the moment, and the EXT and CWL routes also appear to be doing well.

EXT-MLA is sold out on Tuesday and CWL-MLA tomorrow is almost sold out.

The next five BRS-MLA flights are sold out as are the MLA-BRS flights next Tuesday and Thursday.

So thus far a win win for BRS, EXT, CWL and Ryanair.

The South West school holidays begin this weekend but those in South Wales seem to start a week later according to those local authority websites that I checked.

I do wonder if Ryanair are attracting passengers that usually head further afield for their flights to the London airports and Midlands airports, that may explain why the BRS flights aren't effected.

I do wonder if Ryanair are attracting passengers that usually head further afield for their flights to the London airports and Midlands airports, that may explain why the BRS flights aren't effected.
Some probably but it's a fact that new flights often generate their own customers who might not have otherwise flown if it meant travelling to a distant airport to depart.

Ryanair is adding a third weekly mxp from July and has launched a twice weekly winter service too
Interesting given easyJet's recent announcement that they are returning to MXP year-round from July, although currently the easyJet service is not bookable beyond September.

It’s funny that Ryanair only increases frequency on routes when faced with some competition of some sort isn’t it? They seemed to be happy for years of a three weekly Bergamo and now all of a sudden it’s doubled in frequency. I wonder if easyJet may be tempted by maybe Valencia next or even Budapest

It’s funny that Ryanair only increases frequency on routes when faced with some competition of some sort isn’t it? They seemed to be happy for years of a three weekly Bergamo and now all of a sudden it’s doubled in frequency. I wonder if easyJet may be tempted by maybe Valencia next or even Budapest
For a moment I thought you meant that Bergamo had been increased as well, but I take it you are referring to Greater Milan being doubled in frequency by Ryanair with their MXP. We've been head scratching about MXP for years with the only connection being flybmi's inconsistent route, and that had been discontinued before that airline went into administration. Now at a stroke Ryanair and easyJet both return to the MXP route, after nearly a decade's absence with both, with between them seven rotations per week, albeit both airlines will operate on Fridays and Sundays with no services from either on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Ryanair and easyJet have certainly gone to head to head with new routes in the past year with Seville, Milan MXP and Sofia, albeit the last one is ski season only with both airlines.

Having done a count up and compared summer 2019 with summer 2018 there is a bit more 'expansion' this summer than in recent ones. The peak summer months are up by as many as ten weekly rotations per week which is an increase of over 7%. There is aso a net increase of one route (33 in total) with Seville (carried on from its winter debut - another easyJet competitive route) and Milan MXP being new but Reus has dropped out, unless it's reinstated late for August as happened last year when it was just once weekly.

You are correct about the increases this summer being on competitive routes with easyJet.

Alicante is 12 x weekly for much of the summer, an increase of four weekly rotations some months, against easyJet's double-daily (14 x weekly).

Palma is 10 x weekly for most of the summer, an increase of one weekly rotation in some months, against easyJet's 3 x daily except Wednesdays and Saturdays when it is double-daily (19 x weekly).

Venice MP is 4/5 x weekly for the summer, an increase of of one weekly rotation each week, against easyJet's daily.

And now Milan MXP being increased not long after the route was announced rising to 3 x weekly in peak summer against easyJet's 4 x weekly.

Girona is increased from 5 to 6 x weekly in July, August and September, but this time not a route competed on with easyJet.

No increases on the other easyJet 'shared' routes as yet: Malaga, Ibiza, Arrecife, Tenerife, Krakow, Faro and Gran Canaria is only shared in winter with no easyJet service in summer.

Given Ryanair's new initiative of adding more popular routes from CWL and beginning EXT for the first time, presumably to give people in those areas the chance to fly from their local airport, I wonder why they increased ALC and PMI at BRS instead of offering them from EXT and/or CWL. Perhaps there were no available aircraft at the ALC and PMI bases.

easyJet used to fly to from Bristol to Valencia (2004-2009) and Budapest (2005-2006) before Ryanair began their own routes, albeit easyJet had finished their operations before Ryanair began theirs.

I hadn’t noticed that Girona also has been increased on tues with a brs based aircraft too. Is that’ a recent increase ?

I hadn’t noticed that Girona also has been increased on tues with a brs based aircraft too. Is that’ a recent increase ?
GRO was certainly 5 x weekly (as it has been for several summers) until a few weeks ago when I last checked.

Summer 2019

I've now double-checked the BRS Ryanair network and frequencies for the main summer months (May to September) - as they currently stand.

There will be 33 routes, one more than in summer 2018. Reus has been dropped but Milan Malpensa and Seville are new, the latter carrying on from winter when it made its debut with Ryanair after easyJet had started its own route.

Below is the number of weekly rotations each month, with a comparison with summer 2018.

May

122 (+ 2 on 2018)
Seville (+ 2) new route;
Venice MP (+ 1) increased to 5 x weekly
Kaunas (- 1) reduced to 2 x weekly
(Milan MXP begins at end of May but I have not included it in May's figures)

June

129 (+ 8 on 2018)
Alicante (+ 3) increased to 11 x weekly
Seville (+ 2) new route
Milan MXP (+ 2) new route
Palma (+ 1) increased to 10 x weekly

July

132 (+ 10 on 2018)
Alicante (+ 4) increased to 12 x weekly
Milan MXP (+ 3) new route
Seville (+ 2) new route
Palma (+ 1) increased to 10 x weekly
Venice MP (+ 1) increased to 4 x weekly
Girona (+ 1) increased to 6 x weekly
Warsaw Modlin (+ 1) increased to 4 x weekly
Gdansk (- 1) reduced to 2 x weekly
Reus (- 1) route ceased

August

132 (+ 7 on 2018)
Alicante (+ 2) increased to 12 x weekly
Seville (+ 2) new route
Venice MP (+ 1) increased to 4 x weekly
Warsaw Modlin (+ 1) increased to 4 x weekly
Reus (- 1) route ceased

September

131 (+ 6 on 2018)
Alicante (+ 2) increased to 12 x weekly
Seville (+ 2) new route
Dublin (- 1) reduced to 19 x weekly

I've also looked back at the last four summers with Ryanair at BRS and there has been some growth, with this summer in particular seeing a more even spread of weekly rotations across most of the main summer months. Below is a list of the number of weekly rotations for the four years 2016-2019 in the main summer months (May-September) in chronological order.

2016 (29 routes): 113 119 120 132 118
2017 (31 routes): 116 115 121 131 121
2018 (32 routes): 120 121 122 125 125
2019 (33 routes): 122 129 132 132 131

Milan Malpensa

Ryanair's new route to MXP begins tomorrow at 2 x weekly, rising to 3 x weekly for the main summer months before dropping back to 2 x weekly in October and through next winter.

Tomorrow's outbound is shown as 'sold out' but the next outbound on Wednesday doesn't seem as popular as the basic fare is still shown as £9.99.

easyJet begins its own MXP route at the beginning of July (4 x weekly, dropping to 3 x weekly in October). As with Ryanair easyJet's MXP route was announced as year-round but currently there is no booking availabiity from November onwards.

Scheduled increases in June
There are several increases to a number of routes from the end of May.
- MXP (as TLY has mentioned above) is a new route at 2x per week

- DUB increases from 19x to 20x per week from the beginning of June

- ALC was 8x per week in mid-May and an additional flight is added each week until it is 11x per week from the beginning of June

- PMI increases from 9x to 10x per week

Mid-May saw 122x weekly departures from BRS which was 4x flights and 2x routes more than the same period in 2018

Mid-June will see 129x weekly departures from BRS which was 8x flights and 2x routes (SVQ and MXP) more than the same period in 2018.

I note there is currently an inbound Barcelona to Bristol flight today. Is it a positional flight or something else ?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock