Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
United Airlines has finalized plans to order 25 Boeing 787 aircraft with an option to buy a further 50 more. The airline hopes to take delivery of the 787s when it begin to retire its Boeing 747s and 767s operating on it's international routes.

[textarea]United Continental posts third-quarter profit

United and Continental airlines returned to third-quarter profits, as growing air-traffic demand led to double-digit passenger revenue growth, the carrier’s parent company, United Continental Holdings, said Thursday.

Combined, the carriers reported a profit of $387 million, or $1.75 a share, versus a year-ago loss of $57 million, or 39 cents a share. Total operating revenue rose 21.7% to $5.39 billion.

Stripping out one-time items, the Chicago holding company /quotes/comstock/13*!ual/quotes/nls/ual (UAL 28.19, +0.56, +2.04%) said it earned $2.12 a share, versus the Wall Street consensus of $2.17 a share, as compiled by FactSet Research.

United and Continental are integrating their operations and expect to receive a single-operating certificate by the end of next year. They closed their merger agreement on Oct. 1.

Shares of United Continental fell less than 1% in premarket trading to $27.40.

Seperately, Continental Airlines had a net income of $367 million, or $2.24 a share. In the same period last year, the company said it lost $18 million, or 14 cents a share.

United posted a quarterly profit of $367 million, or $2.24 a share. Last year the company reported a loss of $57 million, or 39 cents a share.

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
United Airlines has grounded it's entire fleet of Boeing 757s last night for "unscheduled maintenance” on it's onboard computers. CNN last night reported that the Federal Aviation Authority had confirmed the grounding of the planes was so that United could comply with an airworthiness directive.

United finishes roll-out of Economy Plus on Continental aircraft

United Airlines – the merged carrier of United and Continental – has rolled out Economy Plus seating to all of its former Continental B757 aircraft serving international routes including London, Manchester, Dublin and Edinburgh.

The pre-merger United launched Economy Plus seating back in 1999, and already offers the product on around 400 mainline aircraft and 150 regional jets.

The decision was made to extend Economy Plus to Continental aircraft last year, and seating has now been rolled out to all of the carrier’s international B757-200 aircraft.

The product offers six inches of extra legroom, and the newly-configured aircraft now feature 16 full-flat Business First seats, 45 Economy Plus seats and 108 economy seats.

A total of 41 aircraft have been refitted, and will operate principally on routes from New York Newark to Amsterdam, Barcelona, Belfast, Berlin, Birmingham, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Hamburg, Lima, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Manchester, Oslo, Paris, Shannon, Stockholm and Stuttgart, and between Washington/Dulles and Amsterdam and Paris.

Passengers can upgrade to Economy Plus seating either online or at the airport, and premium members of the United Mileage Plus loyalty scheme enjoy free upgrades to Economy Plus where available.

Source

The product offers six inches of extra legroom, and the newly-configured aircraft now feature 16 full-flat Business First seats, 45 Economy Plus seats and 108 economy seats.

So that's a reduction of six seats per aircraft or, put another way, one row of economy seats. Interesting economics which presumably worked for it prior to the merger (takeover?)

The CO 757-200s were 16 business/first and 159 economy.

• Admin
"Economy Plus" Is that just a gimmicky way of charging more for economy?

Boeing Leads Airbus In Race For United Order

Boeing has pulled ahead of Airbus in a race to win an aircraft order potentially worth more than USD$15 billion at list value with United, but intense negotiations lie ahead to close a deal that Airbus is unlikely to abandon without a fight, industry sources said.

Three sources familiar with the talks said on Monday that Boeing is now seen as the front-runner for the order for about 180 narrow-body planes, which would feature mostly the upcoming, fuel-efficient upgrades to the Boeing 737 and the Airbus A320.

The sources said a deal could be concluded this summer. United, Boeing and Airbus declined to comment on the upcoming order.

"It is possible that they could do a deal with Boeing now and wink at Airbus and that between now and the end of the year there will be some kind of Airbus order," said a senior industry source, who asked not to be identified because of the confidential nature of the talks.

"Having merged with Continental, United has a mixed fleet which is dominated by Boeing aircraft, though the current United management team is effectively the Continental team, which had an exclusive Boeing supply relationship for many years," said Rob Stallard, an aerospace analyst with RBC Capital Markets.

"Any deal is not over until it is signed," Stallard said.

Boeing and Airbus, the world's two largest plane-makers, are competing for customers for the next versions of their best-selling narrow-bodies. The 737 MAX, due to enter service in 2017, battles the Airbus A320neo, due to enter service in 2015. Both planes promise double-digit fuel savings.

Narrow-body jets are the industry's workhorse, feeding the big hubs or operating quick turnarounds for low-cost carriers.

Boeing, which hopes to overtake its rival in orders this year, aims to prevent a repeat of a dramatic win by the European plane maker at rival American Airlines last year.

American placed an order for 460 narrow-bodies last year before entering Chapter 11. The airline previously had been an all-Boeing customer.

Last year, Delta ordered 100 Next-Generation 737-900ER planes with a total list value of USD$8.5 billion.

Source

United Airlines has completed maiden flight of its Boeing 737-800 aircraft retrofitted with the new Split Scimitar Winglet, which improves on the existing blended wing devices the carrier currently has on its Next-Generation 737 fleet. The Scimitar Blended Winglet design adds a new tip-cap detail to the existing Blended Winglet configuration. This technology has shown an additional improvement of up to 10% of the benefit provided by the existing Blended Winglet hardware.
APB_Split_Scimitar_Winglet.jpeg

Winglet technology is becoming more and more diverse as it's developed. It makes you wonder what aircraft will look like in the future is similar design changes are made to the tail end of aircraft.

United Airlines 787 10s will be more than likely operating to Europe from either Newark, Chicago or Dulles though it hasn't announced which hub yet.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...|sf196032990&sfid=701w0000000uP3H#sf196032990

We feel your pain Hamburg Airport (n)

United Airlines during the weekend of 12OCT18’s schedule update removed Newark – Hamburgseasonal service in 2019, previously scheduled from 29APR19 to 04OCT19 (EWR departure). The airline previously scheduled daily Boeing 767-300ER service on this route.

UA864 EWR1735 – 0715+1HAM 763 D
UA865 HAM0900 – 1140EWR 763 D

We feel your pain Hamburg Airport (n)

United Airlines during the weekend of 12OCT18’s schedule update removed Newark – Hamburgseasonal service in 2019, previously scheduled from 29APR19 to 04OCT19 (EWR departure). The airline previously scheduled daily Boeing 767-300ER service on this route.

UA864 EWR1735 – 0715+1HAM 763 D
UA865 HAM0900 – 1140EWR 763 D

Worth noting it’s not just BHX.

That was Hamburg’s last long-haul destination. An airport with 2x 3km runways and nearly 18m pax a year.

No TATL, No MEB3, No charter Tour Ops!

It could be a lot worse!

Worth noting it’s not just BHX.

That was Hamburg’s last long-haul destination. An airport with 2x 3km runways and nearly 18m pax a year.

No TATL, No MEB3, No charter Tour Ops!

It could be a lot worse!

HAM have Emirates so not there last long-haul destination

Here's the much anticipated new colour scheme. Sadly they have gone the same way as so many others and made it blander. I'm seeing shades of Travel Service Airlines in the blue engines and billboard titles.

Also, why do today's design firms have such a phobia of putting straight lines on liveries? :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 18
I agree. It looks bland. Airlines might as well use generic branding they all look so alike these days.

Although I don't love it, it could have been much worse! I recall a number of recent new livery unveilings and having felt much more negative about them than I do about this one. I think I'll withhold full judgement until I've seen more of the fleet in the new livery.

Bland? They've made the airline name larger and added a more vibrant colour to the engine nacelles.

I had suspected they'd remove the gold from the globe on the tail, but was rather hoping they'd replace is with silver rather than another shade of blue.

United have been introducing purple into some areas (new uniform, seat colours), so I'm glad it hasn't made an appearance in this livery.

Also, why do today's design firms have such a phobia of putting straight lines on liveries?

If you're referring to the curving cheatline, United have had them on their 787's since 2012.

I like it. It stands out and they have resisted the temptation to go all euro white!

I appreciate that there is a fine line between bland liveries and ones that are simply understated. I guess that is one of those things that comes down to opinion.

Granted the Continental livery was dull in terms of colour but United have now lost two things that made it distinctive among today's liveries - the gold and the straight cheatline. I think the wavy 787 cheatline is too reminiscent of the Boeing house livery.

I also think that the combination of brightly coloured engines with a white or light-coloured underbelly has been generally used more often by leisure airlines. A few examples I can think of are easyJet, Jet2holidays, First Choice, Thomas Cook and Air Transat's old liveries, Travel Service and Vueling. SAS has had that look for years and it's one of the worst out there as far as legacy carriers go.

Contrast that with the likes of BA, Delta, Air Canada, KLM, and the Eurowhite schemes where the engines are white or the same colour as the underside of the plane. Icelandair's 757 livery is an exception but I think the cheatline is what preserves the "legacy" look.

Avianca, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Icelandair's MAX livery have ditched that look and the overall effect is cheaper. Interestingly Iberia kept white engines on their mainline fleet but gave Iberia Express planes red engines. Now Aer Lingus' new livery looks like Iberia Express in green.

It's probably just me making associations but this new United livery seems to be following that trend, although I am open to being convinced otherwise. At least they didn't make AA's and IB's mistake and ditch the logo.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock