Sofia

I forgot the commencement of easyJet's route was last Saturday. The next flight of the 2 x weekly schedule is tomorrow and only seven seats remain on the 156-seat A319. Looking ahead the 320 seems to be used after that and fare prices, at least for the next month, suggest a decent take-up.

Sofia is a known route from BRS and Wizz Air achieved very high load factors on it for the most part but still axed it. Balkan Holidays also operate a weekly ski charter each year and Ryanair begins its 1 x weekly service on 22 December. Already 95 seats are shown as occupied on the initial Ryanair flight and with the basic fare at £223 it's probably well sold.

Sofia must surely be a contender for a year-round route which is what Wizz operated.

New routes this week?

A Spanish newspaper has said that 19 new Spanish routes will be announced. Speculation is that the announcement will be this week. Whether there will new UK routes either to Spain or elsewhere also announced remains to be seen and, if so, whether BRS features also remains to be seen.

I posted recently that new summer routes for BRS have been announced this corresponding week in the past couple of years so it might be now or never for summer 2019.

A Spannish newspaper quotes 1 UK route The route is London to Jerez,Gatwick more than likely.The newspaper do say quite a few routes from Spain to France will be announced.I think we will wait and see whats announced as its only news paper talk or a wish list

Seems like Easyjet doing the same as BRS with the latest release of stats not been released.

Bristol is blessed with routes by EZY but I still think it is underserved to the Greek Islands (Santorini, Mykonos etc). Surprisingly Tallinn doesn’t have many UK routes which is surprising given it’s a lovely place and a cheap gateway to Helsinki and St Petersburg. And places like Amman are becoming more popular with the locos.
There are plenty of untried and untested routes out there but I can’t see many new Spanish routes given that we now have Valencia and Seville on top of all the others.
It’s been debated many times but capacity increases to CDG, Rome, BCN etc would be good. The number of times I have to fly from elsewhere to an airport served by Bristol just because they don’t fly to or from Bristol on the days I need.

Isn't CDG served 2-3 times a day by bmi nowadays (in addition to EasyJet)?

I agree frequency increases would be nice - lots of routes are only twice a week, if we could get that from once to twice per week or from twice to 3-4 times a week over the next few years that would make a massive difference, at least for me. I know I'm asking for a lot, but it's the season right? Destinations like Stockholm, Copenhagen, for example.

Sure, if I have to fly out on Sunday to be on site somewhere on Monday morning at 9am and fly back on Friday evening or Saturday morning that's never going to work out timing wise for most destinations, and it'll have to be KLM/LH or Heathrow then, but in many cases I have more flexibility and 2 times a week or 3 times a week makes a significant difference.

Main gaps as I see them: Zurich (used to have links in the past), Oslo, Tel Aviv, Istanbul (Don't really mind if it's Turkish or EasyJet, but onwards connectivity would be nice of course).

Bristol is blessed with routes by EZY but I still think it is underserved to the Greek Islands (Santorini, Mykonos etc). Surprisingly Tallinn doesn’t have many UK routes which is surprising given it’s a lovely place and a cheap gateway to Helsinki and St Petersburg. And places like Amman are becoming more popular with the locos.
There are plenty of untried and untested routes out there but I can’t see many new Spanish routes given that we now have Valencia and Seville on top of all the others.
It’s been debated many times but capacity increases to CDG, Rome, BCN etc would be good. The number of times I have to fly from elsewhere to an airport served by Bristol just because they don’t fly to or from Bristol on the days I need.
Isn't CDG served 2-3 times a day by bmi nowadays (in addition to EasyJet)?

I agree frequency increases would be nice - lots of routes are only twice a week, if we could get that from once to twice per week or from twice to 3-4 times a week over the next few years that would make a massive difference, at least for me. I know I'm asking for a lot, but it's the season right? Destinations like Stockholm, Copenhagen, for example.

Sure, if I have to fly out on Sunday to be on site somewhere on Monday morning at 9am and fly back on Friday evening or Saturday morning that's never going to work out timing wise for most destinations, and it'll have to be KLM/LH or Heathrow then, but in many cases I have more flexibility and 2 times a week or 3 times a week makes a significant difference.

Main gaps as I see them: Zurich (used to have links in the past), Oslo, Tel Aviv, Istanbul (Don't really mind if it's Turkish or EasyJet, but onwards connectivity would be nice of course).
Both easyJet and Ryanair have substantially increased BRS routes from summer-only to year-round in recent years which is obviously a positive step. I agree that frequencies are sometimes wanting but an airline's main purpose is maximum profitability. If increased rotations did increase profitiability no doubt an airline would be interested.

Looking at some specific examples, Paris CDG has been retained at single daily by easyJet for several years. At one time they did operate 2 x daily on some days of the week. flybmi saw some sort of opportunity and now operates CDG up to three times a day against easyJet's single daily.

In recent years Barcelona has been increased to 2 x daily (14 x weekly) by easyJet in summer and 7-10 weekly in winter, yet Rome remains stubbornly at single daily and Milan Malpensa is not operated at all, although easyJet once did.

There must be good reasons for easyJet to take such action or not take it as the case may be. They've introduced all manner of routes at BRS that ten years ago I would not have believed viable.

The hope must be that BRS will grow in part by meaningful additional frequencies on existing routes in the not-too-distant future as well as seeing new routes, although I can't realistically think of 100-odd new routes to double the existing 100-plus, so growth on existing routes ought to become very important.

Zurich does seem a tempting prospect, ideally with Swiss to provide connectivity. Swiss is part of the Lufthansa Group of course. easyJet operates to Basel and Geneva from BRS but not to Zurich which might be another surprise to some, although they only fly from Zurich to Gatwick and Luton when it comes to UK easyJet routes. Then again easyJet only operates from airports such as La Rochelle and Ostersund to Gatwick and Bristol in the UK so there is no reason why BRS should not be part of a select easyJet UK group to other airports.

New route to MPL will be announced later
Many thanks for that, Red Flyer.

Montpellier was tried by Ryanair in the summer of 2009 as I am sure you are aware. It was a one summer-only route that year along with Cagliari, Perpignan, Toulon and Trieste. Unfortunately that was the year that BRS was affected negatively by the major recession of that time and saw a near 10% drop in passenger numbers.

I wondered if Ryanair or easyJet might be tempted to look again at one or two of them after the recession eased and now easyJet has. I think the closest airport to Montpellier served from BRS is Beziers, operated by Ryanair, with Marseille a bit further away.

easyJet has increased its Marseille schedule of late both in duration and frequency. In summer 2019 it will be 3 x weekly beginning from the start of May. It used to be a peak summer route. I'm assuming, and assumptions can sometimes be an unrewarding experience, that Montpellier will begin later in the summer period.

Is there any more ? Good route as it is , one new route would be the worst launch yet in terms of numbers of new destinations .

........... although they only fly from Zurich to Gatwick and Luton when it comes to UK easyJet routes. Then again easyJet only operates from airports such as La Rochelle and Ostersund to Gatwick and Bristol in the UK so there is no reason why BRS should not be part of a select easyJet UK group to other airports.

Came quicker than I imagined. Currently easyJet only operates to Gatwick and Luton from Montpellier. If no more Montpellier UK routes are announced there is a growing trend that BRS does not have to wait until larger UK airports have a particular easyJet route other than to London.

Montpelier now on sale twice a week (weds and sun ) with a a320. No other routes and no increases in frequencies on existing routes. More to come ?

Montpelier now on sale twice a week (weds and sun ) with a a320. No other routes and no increases in frequencies on existing routes. More to come ?
Larnaca is a new summer route. It will take a break in April and May after this winter's debut to resume on 1 June 2019 at 2 x weekly.

Comment on that other forum suggests that there will be more announcements as today seemed mainly to concentrate on France and Spain. Whether BRS is included remains to be seen.

They used to fly to Amman from LGW, I used it a few years ago, but dropped the route to fly to Tel Aviv instead. Both flights I was on were pretty much full. Perhaps visitors are scared by the fact that Jordan is perceived to be potentially dangerous by Brits given its geographical location. They have also now doubled the cost of the visa on arrival and entrance fees for Petra have also increased hugely. so now a more expensive place to visit.

Lots of flights have sold out this week including Stockholm Prague and krakow. Paris is completely sold out until next weekend.

Lots of flights have sold out this week including Stockholm Prague and krakow. Paris is completely sold out until next weekend.
It's been ever thus with many easyJet routes from BRS in recent years, and not just during holiday periods. I know it's like a stuck record (if anyone remembers them) but the demand on some routes seems such that it's hard to think that additional rotations would dilute the overall yield on these routes.

There will still be people wanting to fly this week to destinations where flights are already sold out, so they will either go to another airline or to another airport (or both).

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock