There will still be people wanting to fly this week to destinations where flights are already sold out, so they will either go to another airline or to another airport (or both).
I wonder if many of those passengers who would look to book at Bristol would instead end up going to Luton and Gatwick and still flying with Easyjet especially if they are purchasing through the Easyjet website.

I keep banging the drum too. I honestly could see another couple of based aircraft just to boost frequencies on key routes year round. Not sure other than yields why they do not

I wonder if many of those passengers who would look to book at Bristol would instead end up going to Luton and Gatwick and still flying with Easyjet especially if they are purchasing through the Easyjet website.

Some might but I'd have thought that the majority would be looking at somewhere closer; either at BRS with another airline if there is one or at another airport relatively locally, which means EXT, CWL or BHX. Next week Ryanair is also sold out on four of its next five Krakow departures up to and including Christmas Eve along with easyJet being sold out on the route next week too, so very little scope there for an alternative local carrier at BRS.

This time of the year I suspect most airports won't have a lot of room left on many of their flights but I was thinking more of periods away from holiday times when easyJet seems to see an awful lot of sold out flights on many of its routes at BRS.

I keep banging the drum too. I honestly could see another couple of based aircraft just to boost frequencies on key routes year round. Not sure other than yields why they do not

I suppose it's the fact that opportunities elsewhere might make more money. I wonder if the demise of Monarch at MAN which has led to a lot of easyJet growth there has affected growth that otherwise might have occurred at BRS.

I wonder whether the airport is trying to get easyJet to up frequencies. Even new winter routes such as Catania have sold out this week. Incidentally most of Ryanair’s routes are also sold out

I went to Stockholm a couple of weeks ago from Bristol with easyJet .it was a 319 but it was completely full both ways . There must still be scope for a lot of expansion within the existing routes from Bristol especially the ones that are only once or twice a week
I wonder whether the airport is trying to get easyJet to up frequencies. Even new winter routes such as Catania have sold out this week. Incidentally most of Ryanair’s routes are also sold out
I would imagine it's a continuing theme with the airport, any airport probably, to push for increased frequencies and new routes with existing carriers as well as looking at new airlines who, particularly in BRS's case given their stated policy, would not compromise the existing carriers.

After all, the more passengers who pass through the airport the better it ought to be for its ancillary revenue streams such as car parking and retail.

BRS press release re Montpellier route which is the airline's 67th at BRS, albeit like Montpellier some are seasonal.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...easyjet-new-route-from-bristol-to-montpellier

Usual quotes from easyJet and airport representatives. Nothing from Ali Gayward of easyJet to suggest that more routes are in the pipeline. She usually gives a hint in such circumstances.

easyJet launches new route from Bristol to Montpellier
Created: 14th Dec 2018

easyJet, Europe’s leading airline, has today announced the launch of a new route from Bristol to Montpellier, which will operate throughout Summer 2019.

montpellier-656x193.ashx

The first flight on the new route will take place on 2 June 2019 on an Airbus A320 aircraft and will operate twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays over the summer period.

The new route is expected to carry more than 15,000 passengers in its first summer of operation and will be popular with those looking to enjoy some summer sun in this vibrant city in Southern France.

The city is known both for its stunning, historic architecture and for its luscious beaches and beautiful mountainous areas nearby. Located a stone’s throw away from the Mediterranean sea, Montpellier is the perfect holiday destination for summer 2019.

The addition of this new route means easyJet customers will be able to enjoy direct flights to an even greater variety of destinations next summer.

Ali Gayward, UK Country Manager for easyJet said:

“We’re delighted to launch our new route to Montpellier from Bristol which allows us to offer customers an even wider range of exciting destinations to visit this summer.

“We are proud to be the biggest airline in Bristol, serving 67 destinations such as Geneva and Barcelona internationally, and domestic routes such as Edinburgh and Newcastle and the launch of this new route demonstrates the continued growth of the easyJet network in Bristol.

“We look forward to continuing to provide low fares and friendly customer service to our passengers in Bristol.”

Nigel Scott, Business Development Director, Bristol Airport said:

“We are delighted with this new easyJet service to Montpelier allowing improved business, cultural and leisure possibilities for businesses and consumers in the South West region.

“This destination will be Bristol Airport’s 14th regular service to a French city and further strengthens the vitally important connections between the region and France. We expect over 600,000 passengers to travel between Bristol and France in 2019.

“The route will also offer great inbound tourism opportunities for visiting passengers from the Montpelier region using Bristol Airport as the gateway to the historic and iconic visitor attractions in the area.”

Earlier this year easyJet celebrated its 15th anniversary of operating from Bristol.

easyJet is proud to be Bristol’s biggest airline, having flown over 50 million passengers since operations started there. With 15 based aircraft and over 570 crew members, easyJet provides Bristol passengers with 67 domestic and international routes, including the most popular destination Geneva.

Is Geneva the most popular destination from BRS? I'd have thought that would be Alicante or Edinburgh?

Montpelier is not a 3 or 4 night destination. An overnight or 2 nighter city break isabout enough. The flight rotations mean yu will have to try a multi city booking or try to visit Toulouse, Bezier, Marseille or Nice all of which are covered from Bristol.

Is Geneva the most popular destination from BRS? I'd have thought that would be Alicante or Edinburgh?
That’s a bit odd isn’t it. It’s not even double daily is it ?
The press release speaks of easyJet's busiest route but it's certainly not Geneva.

In 2017 the busiest route operated solely by easyJet was Edinburgh with 394,000 passengers.

The busiest route overall last year was Dublin with 430,000, not operated by easyJet, then Amsterdam with 410,000 which easyJet shares with KLM although the latter carries more passengers.

After that it was Edinburgh, already mentioned
Malaga 348,000 op by easyJet and others
Palma 341,000 op by easyJet and others
Alicante 331,000 op by easyJet and others
Glasgow 307,000 op solely by easyJet
Faro 305,000 op by easyJet and others
Belfast International 262,000 op solely by easyJet
then Geneva (11th busiest overall)

In 2017 easyJet carried 226,500 of the 232,800 Geneva passengers, the rest being weekly ski charter flights. GVA is more popular in the ski season than in summer. As Marko points out, easyJet is not even double-daily in summer (10 x weekly with two rotations on just three days each week). In the ski season easyJet operates up to 22 x weekly rotations with six rotations on some Saturdays.

The 12th busiest route was Barcelona with 190,000 in 2017 which is operated solely by easyJet.

Incidentally, the top ten routes in 2017 handled just under 40% of BRS's 8.234 million passengers that year.

In 2017 easyJet carried 226,500 of the 232,800 Geneva passengers, the rest being weekly ski charter flights. GVA is more popular in the ski season than in summer. As Marko points out, easyJet is not even double-daily in summer (10 x weekly with two rotations on just three days each week). In the ski season easyJet operates up to 22 x weekly rotations with six rotations on some Saturdays.
Maybe it was just a subtle way of giving the Geneva route a plug?

Not sure what they mean by most popular... but it's certainly not easyJets most flown to destination from Bristol.

Over the course of a year, GVA is actually 4th destination in terms of number of departures/seats that easyJet operate from Bristol.

Over the entire of 2018, the following destinations were easyJets most flown to:

EDI - 1,311 departures in 2018 (Average of 25x departures per week)
GLA - 1,084 (Average of 21x departures per week)
BFS - 910 (Average of 18x departures per week)
GVA - 713 (Average of 21x departures per week during Ski season, otherwise 10x departures per week)
NCL - 697 (Average of 13x departures per week)
BCN - 631 (10x per week in Winter, 14x per week in Summer)
AMS - 622 (12x per week year round)
FAO - 615 (Average of 7x weekly in Winter, 16x weekly in Summer)
AGP - 612 (Average of 7x weekly in Winter, 15x weekly in Summer, 16x weekly in peak-summer)
ALC - 593 (Average of 7x weekly in Winter, 14x weekly in Summer)

Ostersund looking much better this Sunday
The following Sunday better still - over 100 seats taken so far. Still well below easyJet's average at BRS and well below other BRS easyJet ski destinations in the next week.

The Ostersund fares are also much lower but even at Gatwick (easyJet's only other Ostersund UK route) in the next week or two the Ostersund fares, although higher than those at BRS, are nowhere near as high as other easyJet ski routes in the coming days including those at BRS.

At least the Ostersund loads seem to be improving noticeably which is reason to be very cautiously optimistic.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-airport-arrivals-delays-baggage-2360318

The linked report states that passengers had to wait for up to three hours yesterday evening for bags to be delivered to the carousel. The flights affected appear to have been easyJet flights but the report is a little vague on that, but from the routes mentioned they were.

If, as seems likely, the delay was caused by slow handling then that is obviously the responsibility of the airline, but of course the passengers are blaming the airport. It appears that the flights were delayed and I am surmising that most of the handling staff had gone home.

What other reason might there be, apart from equipment failure?

Ostersund

An update on this route. The outbound tomorrow seems to be better patronised. The seat selector currently shows 41 available seats on the A320. I don't know whether it's a 180 or 186-seater.

It's still not up to easyJet's usual BRS loads but at least it's far, far better than the first couple of flights. Yield of course is unknown outside the company.

Gatwick's easyJet flight to Ostersund tomorrow also on a 320 (only BRS and LGW of UK airports have Ostersund links with any airline) is showing only four unoccupied seats, but that route has been operating for a few years.

Just booked my first departing flight from Bristol. Will be my first flight from there since i was a child.
Booked Easyjet to Madrid on the 24/4/19. One way £48 with seat selection. Will also be my first trip report from Bristol!

Just booked my first departing flight from Bristol. Will be my first flight from there since i was a child.
Booked Easyjet to Madrid on the 24/4/19. One way £48 with seat selection. Will also be my first trip report from Bristol!
I hope you enjoy the experience. I take it you will return by another route (and carrier?). Will look forward to your trip report.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock