Any news about how easyJet will use its newly acquired slots. Cannot see any mention in today’s press releases. If my understanding was correct they were to give details today

Any news about how easyJet will use its newly acquired slots. Cannot see any mention in today’s press releases. If my understanding was correct they were to give details today
The headline news apart from profits being down revolve around easyJet Holidays. They say they hope to launch the initiative before Christmas. Whether that will mean additional flights on some holiday routes remains to be seen.

If easyJet just sits on the former TCX slots it recently acquired at BRS it won't help the airport's quest to increase its overall passenger numbers. I believe that at airports like LHR slots have to be used or the holder faces having to give them up, hence slot-sitting routes are sometimes started pro tem. I don't know if the same applies at BRS.

If easyJet just sits on the former TCX slots it recently acquired at BRS it won't help the airport's quest to increase its overall passenger numbers. I believe that at airports like LHR slots have to be used or the holder faces having to give them up, hence slot-sitting routes are sometimes started pro tem. I don't know if the same applies at BRS.
They may use them to optimise their current slots. Use the best ones and just return the ones they don't want?

The press releases with the announcement of slot purchases stated that there would be more details as to how they would use those slots both at brs and at Gatwick.

They may use them to optimise their current slots. Use the best ones and just return the ones they don't want?

BRS is movement-constrained between 2300 and 0700 where there is an annual limit of 10,500 movements but more particularly between 2330 and 0600 which is the period covered by the night noise quota limit and seasonal movements limits. For the rest of the 24-hour cycle the airport is not slot constrained or controlled and in fact it's only slot controlled in the night time period during summer.

The TCX slots that were acquired would therefore have presumably been in the wider night time period (2300-0700), although one was a winter slot pair which seems slightly odd as winter night time movements and noise quota limits are always well inside the permitted levels and winter is not slot controlled anyway. I assumed that easyJet wanted to operate more flights in the first batch of departures before 0700, hence the slot acquisitions. Whether that means moving some previous post-0700 departures to pre-0700 in order to better utilise the fleet, or whether they intend putting in additional aircraft to make use of the slots is still unclear.

The press releases with the announcement of slot purchases stated that there would be more details as to how they would use those slots both at brs and at Gatwick.

That was certainly the impression. Perhaps they meant in a general way, ie to operate easyJet Holidays. Whether that means more holiday routes or increased frequency on existing ones, or a combination of the two, hasn't been spelt out.

Unless early announcements are made, the best way to keep abreast might be to frequently scan the booking engine to see if additional frequencies have been put in on some of the holiday routes.

Did Easyjet buy all TC slots in BRS. If they did not buy all slots,then where have they gone to or is the airport hanging on to them till some thing else comes along that would need slots and make more money for the airport.

Did Easyjet buy all TC slots in BRS. If they did not buy all slots,then where have they gone to or is the airport hanging on to them till some thing else comes along that would need slots and make more money for the airport.
BRS is only slot controlled (or slot coordinated which is the term used) between 2300 and 0700 in summer so those TCX flights that operated outside this period would not be subject to slot coordination and therefore there would be no slots for another airline to acquire. In fact, looking at the peaks and troughs of departures and arrivals through each 24-hour period outside the early morning, lunchtime, teatime and late evening/early hours of the morning peaks there appears to be masses of availability for movements which would not affect the night quota/night movements limits either.

Because most of BRS's flights are operated by based aircraft it means the peaks and troughs are accentuated. The summer that Ryanair had a hissy fit and reduced the BRS base from 5 to 2 aircraft but mantained all services through the use of away-based aircraft actually helped to even out the peaks and troughs. For example, most evenings there were half a dozen Ryanair departures between 8 and 9, a period when most of the airport's based aircraft of all airlines are already away from the airport operating their last rotations of the day.

There might well still be availability for more movements in the slot coordinated period (2300-0700) which is why BRS appointed Airport Coordination Limited (ACL) to facilitate the situation for them.

It seems to me that the main problem lies between 2330 and 0600, the period covered by the noise quota and seasonal movements limits, with summer at or near its limit with both sets of criteria. There aren't many departures before 0600 but there are a lot of arrivals after 2330.

Not all of this directly affects easyJet of course, but as they are by the largest airline at BRS they are a big part of the jigsaw.

A piece in the Bristol Post (aka Bristol Live) about easyJet Holidays and the way that BRS will be affected. It's worth a read. I've extracted a few extracts (see below - in italics).

A director for the airline said the company's plans will be “particularly attractive” to travellers from Bristol and will include holidays to four and five-star hotels.

The airline also recently announced that it had bought the Thomas Cook landing slots at Bristol Airport - and Neil (easyJet's UK director) says the company is now “reviewing” how they fill the extra space.

He (easyJet UK director) hinted to Bristol Live there would be an announcement about plans for those slots in the coming weeks.

It might be then that we shall know more before the Christmas break.

That sounds very positive news from Easyjet.. When they start the holiday side from BRS it hopes all works out for them.

I think the fact that they are stressing the Holidays, means that they are trying to get set up and prosperous before Jet2 arrive.(if they do)

I think the fact that they are stressing the Holidays, means that they are trying to get set up and prosperous before Jet2 arrive.(if they do)
BRS is a Level 3 slot coordinated airport between 2300 and 0700 in summer. That period is subject to movement and noise quota limits and BRS is walking a tightrope at the moment trying to keep within the limits.

Jet2 would certainly want to operate some of their flights during this period but, if they were thinking seriously of settng up at BRS (2021 would seem to be earliest that could be realistically achieved), the 'night' slot situation might be a problem. Furthermore, if they were looking at, say, a four aircraft base that, taken with the likely easyJet increase plus the already announced TUI expansion, would probably mean the airport exceeding its current 10 mppa planning consent limit.

Any news on how easyJet plan to use their recently acquired extra slots. Lot of talk on Spanish social media of extra services to the canaries and I think I’ve also seen that mentioned by easyJet.

Any news on how easyJet plan to use their recently acquired extra slots. Lot of talk on Spanish social media of extra services to the canaries and I think I’ve also seen that mentioned by easyJet.

I will be very surprised if something is not announced in the next couple of weeks or so. Seems a bit daft to buy slots if you're not going to use them. I don't know how much BRS slots would have cost as they are only scarce in the 2300-0700 period in summer, or if easyJet would be expected to give them up if they don't use them.

The report in the local paper a week or so ago contained strong hints from easyJet that something was in the offing.

The linked report mentions easyJet's belief that more people want holidays outside the 'traditional' seven or 14-day periods. TUI said much the same thing with its announced summer 2020 programme from a number of airports where some sun routes have been given additional flights on other days of the week to provide a more flexible product for customers.

I will be very surprised if something is not announced in the next couple of weeks or so. Seems a bit daft to buy slots if you're not going to use them. I don't know how much BRS slots would have cost as they are only scarce in the 2300-0700 period in summer, or if easyJet would be expected to give them up if they don't use them.

The report in the local paper a week or so ago contained strong hints from easyJet that something was in the offing.

The linked report mentions easyJet's belief that more people want holidays outside the 'traditional' seven or 14-day periods. TUI said much the same thing with its announced summer 2020 programme from a number of airports where some sun routes have been given additional flights on other days of the week to provide a more flexible product for customers.

That's what Jet2 have been doing since they started.

That's what Jet2 have been doing since they started.
easyJet has had a facility for inclusive holidays in the past. About ten years ago my wife and I used them for a short break in Majorca. It might be that the arrangement then consisted of partnering hotels rather than running their own inhouse tour company. I can't remember at this distance.

Jet2 issues a full holiday brochure. Easyjet will be well aware of the success of the Jet2 version. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they try to emulate the Jet2holidays brand.

They also have downloadable versions available: https://jet2holidays.inbro.net/
I hope that easyJet doesn't shy away from some of the many non-holiday routes it operates.

Of the 20 European capital cities (including Belfast and Edinburgh) served from BRS, 14 are by easyJet.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock