A route from Southampton Airport to Teesside has been scrapped, it has been confirmed.

Loganair's service between the airport and Teesside Airport will come to an end.

It comes after the airport in the North East also lost its connection to London.
The Echo understands that the route will stop as a result of the cessation of the London service as it cannot be accommodated on the remaining Loganair aircraft.
Just minutes after a statement was issued by both Teesside Airport and Loganair, ticket sales for both London Heathrow and Southampton were removed.

On the Loganair website, the schedules were updated to reflect today's sudden announcement with bookings from May 24 onwards cancelled.
A joint statement from Teesside Airport and Loganair said they will continue to work together, despite the cancellations.
“This valued partnership is set to continue, with Loganair flights taking off from Teesside to major UK cities,” the statement read.
“There has been encouraging progress as the aviation industry recovers from the coronavirus pandemic, with bookings beginning to improve once again.

“However, a recent significant increase in Heathrow’s take-off and landing fees has led to a significant increase in costs.
“This, coupled with global oil prices affecting the cost of aviation fuel, means that the London Heathrow route from Teesside has become unviable and will end in two weeks.”
It is not the first time a route to Southampton from Teesside has been scrapped with Eastern Airways last year axing the route.
That prompted Loganair to effectively take over the route as it announced the route had been "adopted" into the airline's summer schedule.
After the announcement, Kay Ryan, chief commercial officer for Loganair, laid out the refund options to affected customers as they paid tribute to years of custom.

'Extremely disappointed'
Mrs Ryan added: “I am extremely disappointed that Loganair will no longer provide a London Heathrow service due to rising costs, and completely understand the decision taken for all the reasons outlined.

“Customers affected by the cancellation will receive either an alternative routing if applicable or a refund should they prefer that option.
“Those customers who booked their Heathrow travel via one of our codeshare partners will receive any applicable alternatives direct from the airline they booked with, and not Loganair.
“We thank Teesside International airport for their support over the last 12 months, and looking forward to continuing our excellent working relationship.”

Source: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/20125929.loganair-route-teesside-airport-southampton-scrapped/

Looks like rising costs are to blame!

I'm guessing the aircraft operating to Heathrow from Teesside is the same aircraft operating to Southampton. If there's no demand for the Heathrow flight from Teesside it makes it unviable to continue to operate flights to Southampton without an alternative route to operate for the remainder of the day.

Interesting thoughts, the article seems to suggest the major problem is the cost of fuel, plus the cost of a landing slot at Heathrow. No mention of low patronage or COVID whatsoever so I wonder how well the service actually performed, either between Teeside and Heathrow, between Heathrow and Southampton or the full length between Southampton and Teeside!

It’s really disappointing to see the Southampton route cut (particularly as someone with family in the north east). I posted my first trip report travelling this route last month and it was a super quick and easy way of getting up to that neck of the woods and priced a lot more competitively than the Newcastle flights!

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock