Which should be the aircraft returning from LHR as well. The 787 is a lovely aircraft i've flown on a KLM one out of SFO and it was nice and quiet.

Sorry Jerry. I think I misunderstood your comment earlier. Our internal flight PER-MEL is on QF10 which will have come in non-stop to PER from LHR as you pointed out. I hope it's not late as it's not due in at MEL until 2050 local time. By then we should have acclimatised ourselves to the Australian clock, having been in WA all week, even though Perth will be three hours behind Melbourne.

We usually arrive at Melbourne from London via Dubai at 0630 after passing through two midnights at local times en route - one on the London-Dubai sector and the other on the Dubai-Melbourne sector. We then stay up all day which is a bit of an endurance in order to go to bed in the Melbourne evening. On this trip we get into PER from LHR at tea time local time the day after leaving London. It will be interesting to see if this is any better with the jet lag.

We then stay up all day which is a bit of an endurance in order to go to bed in the Melbourne evening. On this trip we get into PER from LHR at tea time local time the day after leaving London. It will be interesting to see if this is any better with the jet lag.
I can sympathise with that as usually i land in Portland about 11.30 and try and stay up until at least 20.00 to try and acclimatise and then it takes me several days to adapt and even then i tend to wake up at 5 or 6 am in the morning.
I've never done it going the other way though where you go forward. Australia and New Zealand is on my places to go list so hopefully one day I'll get there!

Qantas starts history-making flight direct from Heathrow to Perth
heathrow_175811829324791_thumb.jpg

London, 25 March 2018: Qantas’ first non-stop London to Perth takes off today, marking the start of the only direct air link between Europe and Australia – and the fastest way of travelling between the two countries.

The history-making QF10, carrying more than 200 passengers and 16 crew, pushed back at Heathrow around 1pm this afternoon and will land in Perth 16 hours and 40 minutes later.

Operated by a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, the flight reduces total travel time by eliminating stopovers and taking advantage of the most favourable winds on any given day without having to factor in a mid-point when choosing a flight path.

The Dreamliner is one of the cleanest and quietest aircrafts available, making it one of the fastest growing aircraft types at Heathrow, as airlines are encouraged to top the airport’s Fly Quiet league table.

Simon Eastburn, Director of Airline Business Development at Heathrow said, “We are delighted to be supporting the very first direct air link between Europe and Australia, a true milestone moment, for a hugely popular route.

We have been developing Terminal 3 to bring passengers new and exciting experiences and this new service from Qantas certainly enables that, being of real benefit to tourists, families and business travellers alike.”

Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce, who landed at Heathrow this morning on the first direct Perth-London service, said: “This is a truly historic flight that opens up a new era of travel. For the first time, Europe and Australia have a direct air link.”

“The original Kangaroo Route from London to Australia was named for the nine hops it took to get there over four days back in 1947. That initial flight was a modern marvel when it started, and the journey gradually became shorter over the years. Now we can do it in a single leap.

“This is hands-down the most comfortable aircraft that Qantas has ever put in the sky. Boeing designed the Dreamliner with features to reduce jetlag, turbulence and noise. We’ve taken that a step further with our cabin design, giving passengers more space in every class as well as bigger entertainment screens and more personal storage.

“We’ve worked with the University of Sydney and our consulting chef Neil Perry to create a menu that helps the body cope better with jetlag and adjusted the timing of when we serve food to encourage sleep.”

Baroness Fairhead, Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion said: "The UK and Australia already have a strong economic and cultural relationship - based on our shared histories, language, and open liberal economies.

"This historic, new direct flight opens the door to further opportunities for British and Australian businesses and will make life easier for tourists travelling between London and Perth."

Qantas chose its newest Dreamliner ‘Emily’ to operate the inaugural service, which features a striking livery by Balarinji, based on the artwork Yam Dreaming by Indigenous artist Emily Kame Kngwarreye. The initiative is part of the national carrier’s commitment to promoting the best of Australia to the world.

Visit the Qantas website for more information.

TEN FAST FACTS ABOUT QF10 (LONDON-PERTH)

1. QF10 is operated by four pilots across the 16 hour and 40 minute journey, with one or two pilots resting at any one time.

2. The flight will follow different flight paths depending on the best winds, helping the aircraft fly faster and more efficiently. Qantas analysed a decade of seasonal wind patterns in preparation for the new service.

3. At 14,498km, QF10 is the third longest commercial flight currently in operation. It is the world’s longest Dreamliner flight.

4. QF10 will carry around 92 tonnes or 110,000 litres of fuel with the Dreamliner burning approximately 20 per cent less than traditional aircraft of its size.

5. With a total seat count of 236 passengers, the Qantas Dreamliner has significantly fewer seats than many other airlines who have configured the same aircraft to carry more than 300 passengers.

6. Currently, most aircraft have cabin air pressure equivalent to that of an altitude of 8,000 ft. For the Dreamliner, Boeing cut that down to 6,000 ft, meaning its closer to conditions on the ground.

7. Menus for the flights between Perth and London have been designed to maintain hydration, aid sleep and reducing jetlag and including poke bowls as well as classic comfort food.

8. There are more than 21,000 individual items loaded onto the aircraft for each flight between Perth and London including 330 peppermint tea bags and hundreds of chocolate biscuits.

9. In 1947 a return flight from Sydney to London cost £525 when the average wage was £7. Today, the average Australian weekly wage is $1600 (£880) and a return fare from Perth to London can cost less than $1300 (£720).

10. In 1989, a Qantas Boeing 747-400 flew London to Sydney non-stop, a distance of 18,000kms in 20 hours, nine minutes and five seconds – however, it had less than 30 people on board to reduce weight and required special air traffic control priority to make the distance.

QF 10 LHR-PER-MEL

I shall be interested to see how this aircraft is handled on arrival at PER. Perth Airport website shows tomorrow's flight departing for MEL at PER's Terminal 3 which according to another part of the airport's website is only used by Jetstar (wholly-owned Qantas lo-co) inter-state and regional services. Our booking documents show QF 10 leaving PER Terminal 4 for MEL which the PER website shows is used by Qantas international, inter-state and regional.

When it arrives at MEL QF 10 will be carrying a mix of international passengers who had boarded at LHR and domestic passengers who had boarded at PER. The aircraft arrives PER 1300 and departs for MEL at 1415 so it would not be practical to have all the LHR passengers 'enter' Australia at Perth by disembarking and going through immigration and customs before re-embarking, although they might have to get off whilst the aircraft is cleaned.

I was in Heathrow this morning, not sure where they parked the plane (they surely wouldn't have the space to leave it at the gate) but I didn't see it when I landed on 09L and when we made our way over to park at T3.

I also missed the departure due to being in the T2 arrivals lounge. Talking of Qantas though, their new T3 lounge is fantastic !

If anyone was interested in seeing what the Heathrow to Perth flight is like and the service with it, i've linked this Sam Chui video.

Qantas recently operated their London to Sydney project sunrise flight which took just over 19 hours to complete.
The first ever flight from London to Australia in 1919 took 135 hours of flying time and 28 days to complete it departed 12th November and arrived 10th December 1919. This was part of a competition with a prize of £10,000 from the Australian government, of the 6 aircraft that entered only 2 completed the journey, a Vickers Vimy converted bomber which arrived in Darwin on the 10th December 1919 and an Airco DH9 which was the first single engined aircraft and took 206 days arriving on 2nd August 1920 (departed 8th January 1920). Of the other entrants 4 of the aviators were killed on route.
Now a Qantas 787 9 did it in 19 hours!

Qantas will resume their Heathrow routes on 1/7/21 but no A380 flights just 787-9

Qantas did say towards the start of the pandemic they'd ground their A380's until 2023/24. Depending on how the aviation industry recovers in Australia I wouldn't be surprised if that turns into a permanent grounding.

Qantas had planned on refurbishing all their A380's, so I suspect the cost of that would have played a part.

Qantas did say towards the start of the pandemic they'd ground their A380's until 2023/24. Depending on how the aviation industry recovers in Australia I wouldn't be surprised if that turns into a permanent grounding.

Qantas had planned on refurbishing all their A380's, so I suspect the cost of that would have played a par
I would be surprised if they fly passengers again especially if Qantas resume project sunrise and order the A350 1000

Perth to resume potentially on the 27th March 2022
The girlfriend of one of our grandsons who lives in England with him and who is an Australian citizen went back to see her family over Christmas. She used QF10 and QF9 to fly from the UK to Oz and back - via Darwin. The aircraft begins and ends its journey in Melbourne and our grandson's girlfriend flew to and from MEL.

The last time we were in Australia, in 2018, we used QF10 on the Perth-Melbourne sector. There were both international travellers who began their journey at LHR and domestic passengers who boarded at PER using the PER-MEL sector. The immigration people have a method of identifying the two types on arrival at MEL so there was no need for us to join lengthy immigration queues. We had flown to Perth from Heathrow with Emirates several days before.

If Qantas are returning to PER with this service it suggests that the Western Australia authorities are easing some restrictions. That state had some of the most onerous in the country which caused the Perth Ashes test match to be moved to Tasmania.

If Qantas are returning to PER with this service it suggests that the Western Australia authorities are easing some restrictions. That state had some of the most onerous in the country which caused the Perth Ashes test match to be moved to Tasmania.
Hopefully they won't reinstate restrictions and travel can return to normal.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock