TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
New airline for CWL

The Spanish airline Vueling will commence a seasonal Cardiff-Barcelona route at 3 x weekly from the end of March 2012.

At last a chink of light in the gloom that has pervaded CWL for so long.

Cardiff seems to have done well in attracting the 'niche' operators.

First Helvetic to ZRH, and now Vueling to BCN.

With Vueling to CWL being low key and not really on any enthusiasts radar, makes you wonder if CWL have anything else up their sleeve!

• Admin
Vueling seems an excellent capture. They have competitive fares and also offer extras such as pre-booking specific seats.

The advertised fares for the first few months of the route are very appealing for the most part and undercut the easyJet Bristol-Barcelona route substantially at times.

They may be lead-in fares for a new airline at CWL of course but if they don't do well then nothing will out of the airport.

Helvetic has been supported very poorly by residents of Wales. I can't believe that Vueling with their A320s won't do far, far better.

If CWL fails to get a low-cost based carrier of its own Vueling might be just the ticket to operate to the Spanish sun spots, if necessary using aircraft based away from CWL.

I believe that this just might signal the end of nearly four disastrous years for the airport.

• Admin
Vueling's arrival at CWL

This news has aroused tremendous interest and enthusiasm on the Wales site.

It's a bit disappointing that one or two who are also still members of Forums4airports haven't dropped in to tell us what they think it might all mean.

Credit where credit is due, this is great news for Cardiff airport. I hope they can throw some weight behind this new service and give it the support it needs.

TheLocalYokel said:
Vueling's arrival at CWL

This news has aroused tremendous interest and enthusiasm on the Wales site.

It's a bit disappointing that one or two who are also still members of Forums4airports haven't dropped in to tell us what they think it might all mean.

I've just about given up hope of that and it's probably why Cardiff struggles so much if the folk there are all so inward looking. (nudge and poke intended
1poke.gif
)

I just booked a week's holiday with Vueling and Easyjet from Thursday 3rd May to Thursday 10th May

Here was my answer

Cardiff to Barcelona - Vueling - £60.05 - return
Bristol to Barcelona - Easyjet - £124.98 - return

That's a massive price comparison with over £64 difference!!

Most times I do mock flights between them both, its either a close difference or Vueling has the upper hand :drinks:

Hi bluebird94,

That's a massive difference between Vueling and Easyjet. I do believe airlines often open routes with a very competitive price structure. The Vueling price will more than likely rise in the coming months. It will be interesting to see how it compares after say Christmas.

Vueling have announced the rest of their timetable from CWL to BCN

They now have flights scheduled up until 16th September
This is good news for the airport, tickets must be selling for them to extend up until September. Also every route under Vueling are only selling tickets up untill 18th september ish, so we might see it continue through the winter?

On the 24th June.. it looks like the Saturday rotation will be replaced with a Sunday rotation and that will continue up until the end of September. also the 27th July onwards there will be a Friday rotation replacing the Thursday one.
The flight times are a bit all over the place, i'm sure they will sort it out in due course.. some flights coming into CWL were having 2 to 3 hour turnarounds on really random days,so their is no pattern unfortuantly

Anyway .. good news for the airport, lets hope tickets sell so they can keep it going through the winter and look to expand next summer as well !!! :good:

It's good news and a decent summer take-up by punters (which should be no problem on a such a route as Barcelona) could well see it operating through the winter.

The 2-3 hour turnarounds on some days do seem odd - not enough time to do a route somewhere else except perhaps to Amsterdam. Can't see Brest, Brussels or Paris Orly being realistic possibilities.

Vueling might see an opportunity there as AMS seems to have more rotations than ever from Bristol next summer - 4 x daily KLM again, plus 10 x weekly easyJet, up from daily in summer 11.

I'm a bit surprised that Vueling hasn't come in on one or two sea and sand routes next summer; in fact, I'm surprised that no-one has following baby's departure.

Spainsh low cost Airline Vueling have just announced more expansion from Cardiff Airport after it recently announced its Barcelona route.

The airline has announced 2 new routes to Alicante and Palma with flights commencing from June 3rd. Both routes will be operated 3 times weekly.

I'm a bit surprised that Vueling hasn't come in on one or two sea and sand routes next summer; in fact, I'm surprised that no-one has following baby's departure.

Spainsh low cost Airline Vueling have just announced more expansion from Cardiff Airport after it recently announced its Barcelona route.

The airline has announced 2 new routes to Alicante and Palma with flights commencing from June 3rd. Both routes will be operated 3 times weekly.

I'm still surprised that it took someone so long to come in on these sun and sand routes.

Even in these straitened times they apparently are usually profitable from CWL in the summer months.

A bit of good news at last and this airline, if supported by the punters, may prove to be a better bet than baby ever was.

So supposing everything goes well which I can't see any reason for it not to, I wonder what kind of operation Vueling have in mind for Cardiff airport? Barcelona must have been selling reasonably well for them to come in and offer more destinations and clearly Vueling are happy to expand and operate more flights from the airport. What are the airlines base airports?

So supposing everything goes well which I can't see any reason for it not to, I wonder what kind of operation Vueling have in mind for Cardiff airport? Barcelona must have been selling reasonably well for them to come in and offer more destinations and clearly Vueling are happy to expand and operate more flights from the airport. What are the airlines base airports?

Vueling's main base is Barcelona with others at Amsterdam, Bilbao, Madrid, Malaga, Seville, Toulouse and Valencia.

Unless the airline thinks it can complement KLM on CWL-AMS the only obvious route is Malaga and it's surprising that Malaga didn't come on line this week with Alicante and Palma.

I think CWL would struggle to find sufficient passengers for Bilbao, Madrid, Seville, Toulouse and Valencia on an Airbus A 319/320.

However, Vueling does serve many other destinations from its bases so it's not out of the question that it would open more routes into CWL on a 'W' basis.

Let's not walk before we can crawl though. The new routes have to prove themselves first (I will be amazed if they don't ). After that who knows though I would think a base at CWL is some way off given the current state of the economy.

Vueling also announced a 3 x weekly Southampton-Barcelona this week to commence in June and also Edinburgh-BCN which they operated in summer 2010.

I have heard that a local advertising campaign is to promote the Vueling services from Cardiff from next Monday - so keep a look out for the poster campaign first.

It is very pleasing that Cardiff Airport was able to identify and attract Vueling to Cardiff and we all hope that the routes they are offering out of the airport will prove to be a success :D

Lets hope that the ad campaign will get local people snapping up those flights. PMI and ALC should do well anyway, and lets hope BCN will do equally well too. I know bmibaby ran that route for a while, bit not sure how successful it was since they pulled it....like they did with so other many routes while they were still flying out of CWL....but that's another story!

Lets hope that the ad campaign will get local people snapping up those flights. PMI and ALC should do well anyway, and lets hope BCN will do equally well too. I know bmibaby ran that route for a while, bit not sure how successful it was since they pulled it....like they did with so other many routes while they were still flying out of CWL....but that's another story!

baby had fairly decent loads on their Barcelona route from CWL though of course loads in themselves aren't the key point when it comes to route viability.

I was surprised that Vueling didn't include Malaga with ALC, PMI and BCN when the CWL routes were announced. Having asked around, and spoken to some of those with knowledge of such things, I'm told that yields on what appear to be near identical sea-sun-and-sand routes (such as ALC and AGP, albeit AGP is slightly further away) can vary significantly even if loads are similar.

So that may be the reason for no Malaga with Vueling this summer, or it may be something else such as unavailability of aircraft.

Well it's a start which is the main thing. Only way is up as they say, so lets hope things continue to improve

Em0866 said:
Well it's a start which is the main thing. Only way is up as they say, so lets hope things continue to improve

Indeed you're right, it's a start. It might just be down to aircraft availability as to why Malaga and Alicante aren't being served just jet. The aircraft at those bases could already be deployed else where. :s_dunno

Yes but ALC and PMI are starting in June, no sign of AGP with them just yet, but who knows if these routes and BCN are success what will happen

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock