I would highly doubt it Aces. That flight got expanded too.

It's clearly an error as they change flight numbers, we're just questioning how they have managed to mess it up so that it looks like we have 2 daily flights, and also why the new flight numbers leave a gap in the middle for a new flight.

Suggestion it's now (LGW) being canned!

... but not for Manchester but probably Heathrow!

Well, CX renumbered MAN to the traditional European legacy number but not LGW. There may be some truth in this, particularly if CX can obtain LHR slots.

6x daily from LHR would be extraordinary - as would anything more than daily from MAN.

6 a day PLUS BA would be getting toward JFK territory in terms of frequency ex LHR. Somewhat barmy in my book but the demand must be there !

Last edited:
It now seems rumoured that Dusseldorf is the destination getting axed. BUT three new long haul destinations are launching so it's unlikely the DUS aircraft will be reallocated to a UK route.

It is possible that CX are being slightly cute over the difference between the words "destination" and "route".

As I understand it, CX are dropping one European "Destination". This could well be Düsseldorf.

CX could shift LGW to LHR without dropping a destination. This would be cancelling a route (HKG-LGW) but would not be dropping a "destination" which for LHR and LGW is London.

Just a bit of cabin gossip from a recent CX flight from AU to HK.

Had a long chat with the ISM.

Economy cabin crew don't like the MAN flight because they don't like the A350... and because it's "always busy, close to full".

She said that with LHR - or any other EU point, there's the chance that there'll be some empty seats. But not often from MAN.

She was from the Philippines but felt that traffic HKG-MAN was both ways, not just origin MAN to the rest of the world, but also just as much TO Manchester, especially from Australia/NZ.

However apparently the crew all like the layover in MAN - they like the hotel, and love the shopping, culture, history.

It is extraordinary just how well CX appear to be doing ex MAN. We'll see if this continues at daily rotations, but the evidence is mounting up that they will be beyond this before too long.

[Mildly Interesting Post]

The slightly strange flight number situation is not over yet...

The new CX216/219 flight numbers continue on through the Winter timetable, and then from end of March we're back to CX357/358.

The assumption was that the Summer '18 schedules were not yet updated and that Summer would soon change to CX2xx....however today CX have started to load Winter '18-19, and at the end of October 2018, the CX216 and CX219 reappear.

20OCT18-16NOV18 MTWTFSS MANCHESTER /HONG KONG
28OCT 1234567 MAN HKG 1130# 0705 CX 216 359*C
27OCT ..34567 MAN HKG 1225# 0705 CX 358 359*C
23OCT 12..... MAN HKG 1240# 0720 CX 358 359*C

From memory, I can't think of another route or carrier where the flight numbers change by season...(although LGW's Cathay flight is also changing slightly next Oct...albeit within the CX3xx range).

So today's been the start of daily services by them. So it's either going back to 777s or bumping up frequencies should the route continue to prosper (and never mind the prospect of a certain new route to the Emerald Isle where people are talking of "easier to connect to the DUB service than MAN or LHR - yes how difficult it must be to connect at LHR with the multiple daily frequencies! Must be wonderful to have green tinted eyes oblivious to what is happening outside their country)

Well, CX continue to go from strength to strength. Hopefully more with the A350 to come. I know the Asian carriers love the fuel economy savings over the B77W...

The blurb on it going daily with this standout paragraph

"Stephen Turner, Commercial Director at Manchester Airport, added: “For Cathay Pacific to go daily from Manchester Airport is a clear indication of the need, and desire, from across our catchment area to access Hong Kong directly. The route provides easy access for leisure and business travellers, plus unlocks a host of economic opportunities for both destinations. We are delighted how popular the route has been in its three years of operation, and look forward to working with the airline as it grows from the UK’s global gateway in the North.”"

http://aboutmanchester.co.uk/cathay...ng-kong-direct-flights-as-service-goes-daily/

Just to stretch out the Cathay double daily/flight number mystery, I've just booked on CX 216 at 12:20 on July 24th, but CX 358 was also available to book leaving at 12:40.
If it is an extra flight could the 5 minute difference in flight times indicate different equipment?

Just to stretch out the Cathay double daily/flight number mystery, I've just booked on CX 216 at 12:20 on July 24th, but CX 358 was also available to book leaving at 12:40.
If it is an extra flight could the 5 minute difference in flight times indicate different equipment?

Nick, you're right.

It was updated to 2 x daily yesterday, for most of the Summer season.

01JUL18-28JUL18 MTWTFSS MANCHESTER /HONG KONG

02JUL 12.4... MAN HKG 1220# 0705 CX 216 359*C
..3.567 MAN HKG 1220# 0655 CX 216 359*C

..34567 MAN HKG 1225# 0705 CX 358 359*C
12..... MAN HKG 1240# 0720 CX 358 359*C

TUE 10JUL18 MANCHESTER/HONG KONG 10/0000 10/2359
** CATHAY PACIFIC - SN ** 175 TU 10JUL 0000
1 MAN HKG 1220#0705 CX 216 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 359 C*E
«B» K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
2 MAN HKG 1240#0720 CX 358 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 359 C*E
«B» K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

We've seen this before - I think it's much more likely to be a rescheduling process or flight number adjustment....but we can hope!

I don't think it was really in doubt. If ever CX put on a second flight on certain days, it would surely be in the evening. Still, pleasing to see a daily flight this coming summer.

Yes, just received an email from Cathay to say my flight CX358 is now CX216 and will be departing 5 mins earlier (but still arriving at the same time) - change of equipment? The booking ticket still says it's a A359

There could be renewed hope though...

On airliners.net, User001 alludes to the possibility of 11-weekly flights from November being briefly in the schedule.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock