I see another 3 countries have banned flights from the UK. They are Belgium,Austria and Italy. I dont think the banning of flights from the UK will end there. None of the countries have said for how long.

Europe has shut its doors to air travel and train services for at least 48 hours.With this going on it will make airlines go into problems with no funds,and when we get this virus sorted and hope we get it sorted it wonders how much of industry in general will be left.One thing is sure we will not see the world as it was as so much will have gone and stuff that is left will be altered in many ways.

The steepest road in Bristol in Totterdown. When was this built, and was horses te main mode of transport. If built when horses about i wonder how they got on with the steep road.

The steepest road in Bristol in Totterdown. When was this built, and was horses te main mode of transport. If built when horses about i wonder how they got on with the steep road.
Vale Street, Totterdown, reputed to be England's steepest residential street. Much of Totterdown was built in the mid to late 18th Century. I can't imagine horse drawn-carts going up Vale Street. I wonder how coal was delivered and coffins taken out of houses in that era. Perhaps they sat on the coffins and rode them down the hill like the Monte Sledges in Madeira.

In my younger days I've ridden motorbikes up and down Vale Street. The bottom part is the steepest and for a second it seems as if the front of the bike is going to do a back flip over your head as you begin the ascent. My first four-wheel vehicle was a 1958 Ford Thames 100E van with just three forward gears. The bottom gear would almost take you up the side of a house and when I drove it up Vale Street you needed all the power that gear would provide.

A new later confirmed Banksy painting appeared on the side of a house in Vale Street a couple of weeks ago.

The goverment just announced that Bristol and North Somerset going back into tier 3 from 1 min past midnight boxing day. The virus figures going through the roof are on the up big time. How long did we stay in tier 2 was it 10 days.Lots of places around the country tier wise they are on the vup. There was no tiers that dropped.

The goverment just announced that Bristol and North Somerset going back into tier 3 from 1 min past midnight boxing day. The virus figures going through the roof are on the up big time. How long did we stay in tier 2 was it 10 days.Lots of places around the country tier wise they are on the vup. There was no tiers that dropped.
In tier 2 for seven days!

I fear the government is now panicking big time. All year they've tended to be reactive rather than proactive. Somerset 'proper' and Gloucestershire 'proper' will be in tier 3 from Saturday along with the unitary authority of North Somerset and Bristol (as you mentioned), yet Bath & North East Somerset (B&NES) which is inextricably and physically linked with the surrounding areas of Bristol, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset and Somerset remains in tier 2.

Festive Greetings

I hope that all members will be able to have a peaceful and enjoyable Christmas in these unprecedented modern times. Wherever and however you are spending the holiday take care and have a great time. Let's hope that 2021 turns out to be a much better year for everyone.

I echo every thing you say Localyokel about have a good christmas and new year.The way its looking at this time it dont look good,but we must be all optomistic that things will get better sooner than later. I also hope the airports every one follows that they will come up ewith good news as long as covid dont put a spanner in the works.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.

My wife said there was a news item on the telly today saying that some patients from 'maxed out' hospitals in London and Essex are being moved to hospitals in Bristol and Plymouth for care and treatment.

Bristol Post aka Bristol Live looks forward to developments taking place in and around the city in 2021. The writer is Tristan Cork, a local journalist whose views on a number of topics I don't always agree with - the previous editor sometimes allowed him to write columns expressing his opinions as opposed to reporting - but I respect his work (one of the few 'proper' journalists on the paper in my opinion) and he is usually well briefed on local matters. He is also a Bristol City supporter so we have something in common: long-sufferance.

Two items in his preview of the coming year stood out for me.

The first is that the YTL Arena, which is called the Brabazon Arena in this preview article, on the edge of the old Filton Airfield appears to be going ahead. The secretary of state gave consent last year and YTL is planning to begin work transforming the huge Brabazon Hangar this summer. It will accommodate over 17,000 spectators and will be the third largest arena in the UK behind London's O2 and the Manchester Arena. The planned opening date is 2023.

The second concerns Bristol Airport. Mr Cork appears to think that the appeal will be decided sometime this year, which is sooner than I would have thought. The main part of the appeal procedure will be in the form of a public enquiry in July that is scheduled to last four weeks. In any case, if the airport is successful with its appeal it's almost certain that opponents will ask the courts to intervene. Mr Cork thinks that the government might look favourably at the airport's case 'to provide a post-Covid economic boost'. Of course, that's his personal opinion and no more.

Lets hope the guy is right about the airport planning.Has been said before that time is on the airports side a little due to covid19.
Happy new year Localyokel and everyone on the BRS thread.

Lets hope the guy is right about the airport planning.Has been said before that time is on the airports side a little due to covid19.
Happy new year Localyokel and everyone on the BRS thread.
Thank you and the same to you.

Ashton Gate Stadium - home of Bristol City FC and Bristol Bears RFC - will be one of seven so-called vaccination super centres opening next week in England.

The full list is:

Ashton Gate, Bristol
Excel Centre, London
Centre For Life, Newcastle
Etihad Tennis and Football Centre, Manchester
Millennium Point, Birmingham
Robertson House, Stevenage
Epsom Downs Racecourse, Surrey

It looks as though Bristol will be forced into setting up a clean air zone (CAZ) in the central area with certain types of vehicle paying a charge to enter. The council was hoping its efforts to date would avoid having a CAZ but the government disagrees and has ordered the city to find the fastest way to get the city's air pollution within legal limits.

This from a government that is perpetuating the decision made by the previous Conservative Government to axe the rail electrification plans for Bristol meaning the lines around the city will have to put up with diesel train pollution for many years to come as there are no plans reinstate electrification.

There are concerns that the city economy will be hit which at least might remove the situation where Bristol is the only city in the country other than London that pays more money to the Treasury than it receives.

Heard this on the radio yesterday. There will be major problems with what ever parts of Bristol will be a clean air zone. If you wanted to do a delivery in south glos and the next delivery was south Bristol then they saying no chance of going from 1 to another with out entering a clean air zone unless you drive miles out the way to get from 1 to another.The planners looking at it are worried that all it will do is move most of the problem to places that are well within limits.The taxi buisness will suffer yet again as they will be charged for entering the zones and that will be every time they enter a zone on the same day. Passengers will have to pay. Delivery to shops acrossv the city will have to pay as well and that is £100 plus so in the end that will put the price of goods up or things will not be on sale.It will push more shops and buisnesses out to out of town shopping,and then the zones in the city will be dead.They just as well shut the city centre down to start with andv make it a ghost city.London is different as they have a better road structure than Bristol.If the plans go ahead lets hope they do things proper with not many problems.Early days to make many comments about it as the council have lots of things to look at with it.

People and companies will adapt. London has had LEZ for quite a while now and the criteria has encouraged companies to switch to low emission vehicles and electric vehicles. A Bristol version will no doubt do the same.
As for trains maybe it's about time that there was some sort of TfSW similar to TfN to take the lead in some sort of Metro project for the area.

Heard this on the radio yesterday. There will be major problems with what ever parts of Bristol will be a clean air zone. If you wanted to do a delivery in south glos and the next delivery was south Bristol then they saying no chance of going from 1 to another with out entering a clean air zone unless you drive miles out the way to get from 1 to another.The planners looking at it are worried that all it will do is move most of the problem to places that are well within limits.The taxi buisness will suffer yet again as they will be charged for entering the zones and that will be every time they enter a zone on the same day. Passengers will have to pay. Delivery to shops acrossv the city will have to pay as well and that is £100 plus so in the end that will put the price of goods up or things will not be on sale.It will push more shops and buisnesses out to out of town shopping,and then the zones in the city will be dead.They just as well shut the city centre down to start with andv make it a ghost city.London is different as they have a better road structure than Bristol.If the plans go ahead lets hope they do things proper with not many problems.Early days to make many comments about it as the council have lots of things to look at with it.
Bath is starting a CAZ in March but is not charging private vehicles to enter whatever their emissions level. Bath is probably worse off than Bristol with the government's decision to axe electrification as that city lies in a bowl with the Bristol-London railway line passing right through the centre.

Bristol's road system based largely on its medieval roots is particularly difficult to navigate as it is. I live on the south-east edge and if I want to drive to London, the Midlands/North or South Wales I have to either go right though the centre to reach the M32 or around the eastern edge (via the misleadingly named Avon ring road) or western edge (via the A4 Portway). Any of the routes can take half an hour to reach the M4 or M5, longer at peak times. Anyone living in suburbs just to the south of the river wanting to reach suburbs just north of the river will be hit hard as they will have to pay the entry charge or drive perhaps 7-10 miles to travel what would be be 2 or 3 along a direct route. That in itself will lead to more emissions.

In fairness to Mayor Rees he tried desperately to avoid the need for a CAZ because he foresees the sort of problems mentioned but was overruled by government.

Anyway, it seems we are stuck with it and will have to see how it pans out. No doubt the Law of Unintended Consequences will raise its ubiquitous head.
As for trains maybe it's about time that there was some sort of TfSW similar to TfN to take the lead in some sort of Metro project for the area.
There is a Metrowest project that has been around for years but is making slow progress. It will mainly involve existing railway lines with diesel traction with the addition of a handful of new stations at some point. The only new lines are the ones from Bristol to Portishead that has been on the drawing board for decades. The original line was closed in the 1960s but the section from Bristol to Royal Portbury Dock was reopened for freight traffic some years ago. It's actually a spectacular journey in and out of the tunnels along the Avon Gorge and could be a tourist line as well as one for the very busy commuter town of Portishead.

The other new line for the proposed Metro involves the existing goods line from Filton to Avonmouth that ironically runs through the old Filton airfield site (not to be confused with the extant passenger line from Temple Meads to Avonmouth/Severn Beach via Clifton Down). The plan was to reopen that for passenger traffic along its entire length but it's been curtailed and will only operate as far as the north-western suburb of Henbury at some point in the future.

Funding is the perennial problem for all these projects because governments of all political colours regard Bristol and its region as not in need of the sort of government funding that many other regions receive. When Grayling the then Transport Secretary axed the Bristol/Bath rail electrification he said the money would be used instead on local transport projects. Four years on and there is little evidence of this. The only major rail project seen to completion in Bristol in the past few decades is the return to four tracks on the Filton bank between Dr Days Junction just outside Temple Meads and the Filton triangle near Parkway station that will enable long-distance express trains to overtake the slower stopping trains. That project was already in planning before the electrification axing.

The West of England Combined Authority (Weca) set up in 2017 is now supposed to be the Transport Authority for the region and some mainly administrative functions have been transferred to it. Nevertheless, the constituent local authorities within Weca still seem to have some involvement for transport as is shown by the Bristol elected mayor's continual search for funding for a city underground system.

Work is beginning on a £24 million project to renovate Temple Meads station's magnificent glass roof. Over a decade ago there were plans for a £100 million major modernisation of the station. Odd bits and pieces have occurred since but Network Rail continually says that they don't have a budget to perform these works with the station's grade 1 listed status always thrown into the mix when cost is mentioned.

The press report also mentions work in collaboration with the West of England Combined Authority to create a new main entrance from Friary at the side of the station. There has also been talk in the past of restricting the main approach road to public transport vehicles.

A good report on Temple meads station and hope its a good job when compleated. You beat me by a couple of mins by posting this news. HAHA.

Extra police been at the airport today. They been checking passengers have a good reason to fly. There has been no arrests or fines so all fliers must have had good resaons. They only had 2 easyjet flights to check so i would say the police had a good shift.I can only think they worked along side the normal police that are stationed at the airport.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock