Apparently the Russian CAA has now banned UK airlines from flying between the UK and Russia - not really surprising.

Now what will happen to airlines like Red Wing and Nordwing that have been operating PPE flights from the Far East into Liverpool, and the like, via Russian airports?

Apparently the Russian CAA has now banned UK airlines from flying between the UK and Russia - not really surprising.

Now what will happen to airlines like Red Wing and Nordwing that have been operating PPE flights from the Far East into Liverpool, and the like, via Russian airports?

I think they may now have finished , havent heard of any just recently . I guess if more is needed it will have to fly on a Chinese airline.

Some developments on the Freeport concerning Liverpool Airport and Liverpool Docks, from LBN.

Freeport set for take-off at Liverpool Airport​

Last updated Apr 1, 2022

Government funding of £25m will kick off the new Liverpool City Region Freeport in early summer with Liverpool Airport a possible first location. Tony McDonough reports
Liverpool John Lennon Airport
Liverpool John Lennon Airport could see a big expansion of its logistics hub

A final business case for the new Liverpool City Region Freeport has been submitted to the Government which should unlock £25m to kick-start the project in early summer.
And LBN understands Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA) has been earmarked as the first possible location for a Freeport zone. The airport has already set aside a piece of land for the creation of an enlarged air freight logistics hub.
Air freight has always been a part of the airport’s offer, but not a big one, with the main focus over the past 20 years on growing passenger traffic via budget airlines such as easyJet and Ryanair.
LJLA’s freight facilities are handled by its commercial partner, Wynne Aviation. Pre-pandemic one of its main sources of business was the automotive sector. Big automotive operators in the city region include Jaguar Land Rover, Ford and Vauxhall (now Stellantis). During the pandemic the facility also handled PPE and COVID testing kits.
Manchester Airport is currently the main air freight hub for the North West, handling around 120,000 tonnes of import and export cargo, and mail, every year. However, Liverpool Airport will gain a significant advantage by being within a Freeport zone and is being offered the opportunity to significantly grow its footprint.
Liverpool city region will be home to one of just eight Freeports in England. The new Freeports are expected to be hubs of business and enterprise which have the potential to create thousands of jobs, help regenerate communities and establish Britain’s post-Brexit place in the world. There are currently around 2,800 Freeport zones around the world.
In March 2021, Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that Liverpool city region would be one of eight new English Freeport zones. They are Thames, Solent, East Midlands, Freeport East (Felixstowe and Harwich), Plymouth and South Devon, Humber and Teeside. It is expected more Freeport locations will be revealed at a later date.
A flagship policy in the Conservative’s 2019 election manifesto, Freeports are designated zones where normal tax and customs rules do not apply. These can be airports or other hubs as well as maritime ports. At a Freeport, imports can enter with simplified customs documentation and without paying tariffs.

There are some 80 Freeports or free zones within the EU and, until 2012, Britain had seven Freeports, including one at the Port of Liverpool. However, unlike the previous incarnation, Liverpool city region’s new Freeport will have a much bigger geographical footprint, covering multiple locations.
These include the Port of Liverpool, Wirral Waters, Liverpool John Lennon Airport, logistics sites in Knowsley, Sefton, St Helens and West Lancs and the Stobart rail freight terminal in Halton. It is estimated the Freeport could secure investment of £800m, boost the city region’s GVA by £850m and help to create 14,000 new jobs.
John Lucy, the Liverpool City Region Freeport Director, said: “Having our outline business case accepted is a hugely significant step towards our Freeport becoming operational and attracting businesses to take advantage of the full range of benefits we can offer, which will in turn create thousands of sustainable, high-quality jobs.
“We will attract additional trade through the port of Liverpool but the Freeport will bring benefits for the whole of the Liverpool city region, extending as it does over a large part of our region with a number of sites offering benefits to businesses.

Port of Liverpool
Port of Liverpool owned by Peel Ports
MEA Park
The MEA Park at Wirral Waters will be part of the Freeport zone

“There’s a comprehensive measure of packages that includes tax relief and support for customs, business rates, planning, regeneration, R&D and upskilling. New technologies and sustainable innovations are taking centre stage and providing answers to the challenges that a lot of large, complex companies are facing.”
Decarbonisation will be a key aspect of the Freeport zone and the initiative will play a role in furthering the net zero carbon ambition laid out by Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram. In December last year LBN reported a plan for a fleet of zero-emission hydrogen-powered lorries will carry freight between the multiple sites.
Centred on a mix of infrastructure including the Liverpool2 deep-water container terminal at the Port of Liverpool – the UK’s biggest western facing port, which already handles 45% of trade from the US –it’s the key coastal access point to the UK’s largest concentration of manufacturing.
Targeting key sectors including automotive, biomanufacturing/pharmaceuticals and maritime, the LCR Freeport will also support and attract new advanced manufacturing, logistics and low carbon energy industries.
Critics of Freeports say they can provide cover for tax evasion and other illicit activity. But Mr Rotheram says the Freeport team will work to ensure that risk is minimised adding that it will “help us attract critical inward investment and create well-paid, highly skilled jobs”.
He added: “ It is predicted that our Freeport has the potential to add an additional £850m to the local economy and will help us to build on some of our existing world class strengths.
“But, for us, it means much more than that. Throughout this journey, I’ve asked for guarantees to ensure that we’ll use our Freeport as a force for good, to help build an economy that works for everyone in our region.
“I want to attract investors into our region who believe in and support our local ambitions. Our Freeport will offer lots of opportunities for the Liverpool City Region. It’s my vision to ensure that there is purpose behind that status – that not only drives our economy, but fuels greater social mobility, innovation, and inclusion for our whole region.”
featured
PREV POST

Titan Airways today , Liverpool to Bermuda ZT 3381.at 11.00

ITA Airways Liverpool to Milan AZ 9005 at 18.00

nwan
Post automatically merged:

An AN12 from Basel due today at 10.57 Cavok. CVK 7058

nwan

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock