Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Scotland
I thought that those who explore these lesser threads might find this comparison of interest.

The spreadsheet includes the top 30 airports - by passenger numbers based on October 2019.
View attachment 17348

Chart 1 shows the top 24 airports at a glance
View attachment 17349

Chart 2 shows the top 14 airports (excluding Heathrow as their figures are self-explanatory above)
View attachment 17350

Chart 3 shows the remaining 15 airport
View attachment 17351

Thank you for that Scottie. I hope everyone has assimilated all the information as I understand there will be a test later.

This time last year who would have thought that graphs and figures like this would be on display a year later? No 'Roaring Twenties' this century in aviation.......yet.

Let's be optimistic.

Good evening everyone

I'll redo the charts tomorrow but one for each airport in its own thread. That way hopefully it will reach those who don't read beyond their own local area.

If they read all the threads then they will know. A post that applies to most airports should be in a general thread and this thread is the best one. The information was covered in 3 posts, it would have needed 59 posts for individual threads.

Change of plan, and thanks to Seasider for your thoughts. I'm working on a movements chart, similar to my originals, as obviously some airport's - like EMA - have a number of freighters but fewer passengers and so may be busier but from a different perspective.
Okay, tomorrow's another day.

With apologies to Seasider for confusing him with another member!!

Last edited:
I hope that you are sitting comfortably as the following is a fairly lengthy analysis of Air Transport Movements (ATM) for the last year. September will be added when the CAA has fully updated their files. I then intend to keep producing a rolling annual update - subject to you feeling that they are of interest (please let me have your thoughts).

Firstly please forgive me for using some 'poetic license' when creating the grouping of airports. It is hard sometimes to know which airports possible should fit into each region - and of course there are a number of airports that could be considered to be in one or more groups; for example should Birmingham be in with the North or the South East or even the South West as it attracts passengers from all 3 zones.

Anyway, enough of the waffle and let's start with the top 15 airports in the UK and Channel Isles:

View attachment 17358
View attachment 17359

We now move to a breakdown of the regions, starting with:

The Channel Isles
View attachment 17360
View attachment 17361

The South West
View attachment 17362
View attachment 17363

The South East
View attachment 17364
View attachment 17365

The Midlands
View attachment 17366
View attachment 17367
To be continued in Part 2

Due to system limitations this analysis needs to be split into 2

Part 2

Northern England
View attachment 17368
View attachment 17369

Northern Ireland
View attachment 17370
View attachment 17371

Scottish Mainland
View attachment 17372
View attachment 17373

Scottish Islands
View attachment 17374
View attachment 17375

Finally a spreadsheet showing all 50 of the UK's airports that are included in the CAA data - excluding Biggin Hill and Oxford
View attachment 17376
View attachment 17377

I trust that the above data gives a useful insight into not only the effect the Covid-19 has had on our airports, but also how each airport compares with its neighbours.

Many thanks for all that hard work, Scottie. Most illuminating,

Great work @Scottie Dog, the next twelve months will be equally challenging but will hopefully show some good gains over what we've seen this summer.

For those of us who have a fascination with stats, that is a great piece of analysis. Thank you.

Now confirmed that TUI Group are sticking to May 17th flights and holidays restart plans along with easyjet.

This could turn out as another big missed opportunity for Jet2, with recent announcement of further extending the grounding flights until June 24th.
No not a missed opportunity. A good business decision by Jet2.

The article says TUI will only stop flying to countries on the RED list. For customers at least, this isn't good because it means they will still insist on flying you to AMBER countries where you will be required to quarantine on your return. It means for those who feel that is untenable due to their own personal situation won't be able to cancel their holiday as the operator is legally allowed to take you.

You could argue it will give Jet2 a chance to see how the new rules play out in practice to establish whether to cancel RED and AMBER holidays or to copy TUI and fly to AMBER destinations.

The discussion is very much focused on the UK end restrictions, but airlines will also need to consider the rules at the destination which will impact how their customers can holiday abroad.

It's a tricky situation for TUI to be in especially as unlike Jet2 they own a lot of the hotels and cruise ships that they sell holidays for and I expect that the German governments support isn't unlimited.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock