Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
This is a dedicated thread for Cardiff airport to discuss local weather, technical delays and cancellations.

Re: Diversions, Delays & Cancellations

Having noted planenut's allusion to CWL in yesterday's snowy episode (on the LBA forum) reminded me I meant to post something yesterday and forgot.

I noted at least three BA transatlantic diversions in at CWL yesterday morning on the Ceefax page. My memory is letting me down a bit but I believe Philadelphia and Denver might have been two of the originating airports.

Can anybody confirm or deny the routes mentioned above and what type of aircraft?

With the diversions earlier in the week. Did the pax remain on the aircraft and wait for LHR to clear runways or were they bussed from CWL to LHR?

Thanks mathers, that'll be good news to get the pax numbers up then for Feb :)

Inbounds to CWL have been diverting for the past couple of hours - weather?

The Flybe from Edinburgh and Aer Arann from Dublin have gone to Bristol and the bmibaby from Belfast International to Birmingham.

The KLM from Amsterdam is also shown on the CWL arrivals board as diverting to Bristol but it hasn't yet shown up on the apron website there.

Addendum

Airport now open again. baby from Palma landed 2211.

I noticed there were some BA diversions this morning. Any reason why? Probs at LHR maybe? I noticed 2 (one from Houston) but were there any others earlier in the morning?

• Admin

planenut321 said:
Just the two. 772 from Houston and 744 from Rio. I presume it was because of bad weather at LHR. Both left around 10am.

It must have been nice to see Houston and Rio on the arrival screens. :shok:

• Admin

METAR: EGFF 131750Z 17015KT 8000 RA OVC018 14/12 Q0989
long-TAF: EGFF 131707Z 1318/1418 19015G25KT 5000 RA BKN018 TEMPO 1318/1407 19030G45KT PROB40 TEMPO 1318/1321 3000 +RA BR BKN008 BECMG 1322/1401 9999 NSW TEMPO 1401/1412 6000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1401/1408 3000 +SHRA BKN014CB BECMG 1409/1412 27018KT BECMG 1415/1418 23007KT

Possible gusts to 45 Knots, not pretty but fairing better than down the road at Bristol where they are expecting winds of up to 50 Knots (around 60 mph)

Cardiff Airport has been closed all morning because of snow. Airport website is suggesting it may re-open at 1500 hours.

Yes Radio 2 was saying that both Cardiff and Bristol were still closed as of about 10 minutes ago. (13:00)

The BBC is reporting that Cardiff airport flights are disrupted this evening because of snow.

The BBC is reporting that Cardiff airport flights are disrupted this evening because of snow.

I believe a couple of bmibaby flights went to Birmingham, an Aer Arann/Aer Lingus to Bristol and a Manx2 to Gloucester on Friday evening when snow closed the airport.

Fortunately for CWL there was only a handful of flights due after the closure - very quite this time of the year.

[textarea]Family’s 50-hour delay in holiday nightmare

Holidaymakers have told of their getaway nightmare after being delayed by nearly 50 hours.

Passengers waiting to return to Cardiff Airport were delayed by 31 hours at Bourgas Airport in Bulgaria. The delay was attributed to a technical fault.

But some families had already endured an 18-hour wait at Cardiff Airport on the way out.

Holiday operator Thomson last night apologised to “customers who felt communication of the delay and our management on the ground was not what it should have been”.

The 131 travellers, who included two children aged under three, were scheduled to fly out of Bourgas during the early hours of May 31.

Nigel Evans, 45, from Bryncethin, Bridgend, his wife Jayne and sons Gareth and Dafydd headed to Bulgaria, where they have an apartment, for a one-week holiday.

But it got off to a bad start at Cardiff Airport.

Mr Evans said: “Five hours after we arrived at the airport we were told that the flight was cancelled and we would stay in a hotel in Cardiff.”

But that delay would be a breeze compared to their return journey.

Mr Evans said: “We arrived at Bourgas late Monday night, for our flight at 1.30am on Tuesday.

“In departures it came over the Tannoy that there were technical issues.

“We waited two hours and were then told the flight had been cancelled.”

What followed was an entire day of uncertainty, during which passengers endured broken down buses and repeated trips back and forth to the airport.

“There were ladies there in wheelchairs and with diabetes who would soon need medication,” he said.

“One young couple needed milk for their 15-month-old baby and they had just £1.50 to their name – everyone had spent their holiday money.”

The holidaymakers finally left Bulgaria at 8.45am on Wednesday morning.

A spokeswoman for Thomson Airways said the delay was due to an earlier disrupted flight.

She said: “Thomson Airways appreciates that flight delays are frustrating and would like to reassure customers that such delays are only made when absolutely necessary.

“In this particular case, the delay occurred due to a technical fault onboard an aircraft within our fleet.

“It was decided that this aircraft could not fly until further repairs were undertaken. Due to the complexities of the repair, an alternative aircraft was used to operate this flight and despite our best efforts this did result in a knock-on delay to flight TOM6155.

“The airline would like to apologise to customers who felt communication of the delay and our management on the ground was not what it should have been.

“Feedback is valuable to us and a team will investigate ways we could have done better so lessons will be learnt.”[/textarea]
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... -28812861/

It's rotten luck to experience a major delay at any time but to have two during the same holiday is really getting the short straw.

Looking really busy tonight at Cardiff Airport in regards to diverted flights due to snow - So far they have had ..

Thomas Cook B752 diverted flight from Fuerteventura to Birmingham
Flybe E190 diverted flight from Salzburg to Birmingham
Thomson B752 diverted flight from Innsbruck to Birmingham
Bmibaby B733 diverted flight from Chamberry to East Midlands

I was told today that CWL had 3 BA diverts this morning, that's all the info I have.

Diversion traffic can't be 'sniffed' at, they bring in valued income albeit through one off's. It must have been strange for the staff on duty to see Bmibaby turn up on the deck.

Friday 24 February 2012

Because of fog CWL was effectively closed to inbound aircraft for a long period during the afternoon and evening.

As a result nine inbound aircraft were diverted:

Five Flybe all to Birmingham two from Edinburgh, two from Glasgow and one from Paris Cdg

One Aer Lingus Regional to Birmingham from Dublin

Two KLM Cityhopper to Bristol from Amsterdam

One Manx2 to Filton from Anglesey

Because of these diversions seven outbound flights from CWL were cancelled.

Thursday 1 March 2012

CWL affected by mist/fog this morning and three inbound aircraft diverted away from the airport.

Flybe from Edinburgh and KLM from Amsterdam went to Bristol - unclear what happened to the Flybe from Glasgow.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock