Eurowings is the subject of one of the advertising hoardings on the main road into the Northside of the airport.

Currently it is operating twice weekly to Prague. I note that tomorrow's easyJet flight to Prague leaves at 1130 and Eurowings to the same destination at 1150.

Eurowings operates on Monday and Friday at present with easyJet on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. As Eurowings has such a modest schedule in winter I wonder why they decided to operate so closely to easyJet on Fridays.

Summer 2022 sees Eurowings at 3 x weekly on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and easyJet 6 x weekly (no Wednesday flights May and June, then from July it's no Saturday flights with Wednesdays operating).

I'm still struggling to understand the rationale of Eurowings in operating a single route at BRS against the long-established easyJet to Prague.

I personally have concluded that it is likely to be some form of agreement between BRS and LH, whereby they have thrown money at them on the promise they operate more than just the FRA route from there; however under no commitment does it have to be from LH mainline to a "hub" - so LH have thrown in EW to PRG for good measure...

I can't see it lasting.

I personally have concluded that it is likely to be some form of agreement between BRS and LH, whereby they have thrown money at them on the promise they operate more than just the FRA route from there; however under no commitment does it have to be from LH mainline to a "hub" - so LH have thrown in EW to PRG for good measure...

I can't see it lasting.
If that did happen and the agreement left it to LH to decide how and where they operated a second route might that not leave the airport with something they might not want to go alongside the FRA 'prize', such as a second carrier on Prague? On the other hand, perhaps the airport was happy at the thought of competition to the Czech capital.

I have no idea what incentive(s) if any were offered LH for FRA. If, as you suggest, money was 'thrown' at LH for FRA perhaps a bit more might have secured the return of Brussels as well.

I'd have thought that any incentives were more likely to be in kind in the form of a deal on airport charges and possibly advertising. It was reported at the time that when the airport secured Continental in 2005 airport charges were waived for the first three years. I'm not aware that the airport confirmed or denied that - I would not have expected them to as it was commercially confidential - but the reports appeared under the names of respected aviation journalists.

My gut instinct coincides with yours regarding the longevity of Eurowings on Prague but routes have surprised us in the past and not just at BRS. Although aviation economics, especially airport economics, first whetted my interest in civil aviation many years ago (as an amateur observer - I've never been in the business), there remain aspects that I still find arcane despite the kind and patient explanations of many in the industry at various levels with whom I have come into contact down the years, both in person and in cyberspace.

If there was such a deal surely Munich , Brussels , Zurich , Copenhagen , Oslo or Stockholm would have been more logical wouldn’t it. The more likely is that Prague could be quite profitable . Tbh I’m surprised eurowings hasn’t launched Stockholm like they have from Birmingham. Has been a popular destination from Bristol in the past

Stockholm seemed to do well from BRS with easyJet as far as loads were concerned as did SAS in the past with short summer seasons. Stockholm was axed along with the other easyJet flights from UK airports which suggests it was not a specific BRS problem. The same applied with easyJet and Genoa.

What were the loads like to Munich? They have good onward connections with LH.. Eurowongs might be good on a Düsseldorf service possibly. Germany very under serviced in my opinion..

If I recall Munichs loads were similar to frankfurts when both were flown by bmi regional. If I recall Munich was being planned to be flown 3 daily towards the end of bmi s existence.

What were the loads like to Munich? They have good onward connections with LH.. Eurowongs might be good on a Düsseldorf service possibly. Germany very under serviced in my opinion..
Germany has long been a country that never seems to have a decent network from BRS for any length of time.

In the 1980s/90s there was a German airline that served Dusseldorf - I forget its name.

Then BA Citiexpress served Frankfurt, Munich and Dusseldorf from the late 1990s with ERJ 145s the first two at 2 x daily. I think the load factors were usually in the region of 60%-70%. I'm not sure of any connectivity at FRA or MUC. BACitiexpress became BAConnect (BACon) but ceased their BRS routes in 2007 when Flybe bought the airline.

easyJet tried Hamburg for a year or so around 2005 but it obviously didn't work for them.

Eurowings operated Frankfurt for a year in 2008/2009 at 3 x daily (21 x weekly) with Bae146-300s and carried just under 100,000 passengers in that time. Then came the major recession and BRS was axed with LH telling the airport it would be back when the economy improved. The thought was that they would use bmiregional E145s as they owned the airline at the time but when FRA did return with bmirregional LH had sold the airline and it was with the airline's new owners..

Around 2011 bmiregional later renamed Flybmi began a series of routes that included Frankfurt, Munich, Hannover, Dusseldorf and Hamburg. Hannover was quickly dropped but the others remained until 2019 when the owners of Flybmi closed the airline to concentrate on their other carrier Loganair. So BRS hasn't had much luck with German routes operated by smaller aircraft at a higher daily frequency that say easyJet to Berlin.

I remember that when Lufthansa began their code share with bmiregional to Frankfurt and Munich loads increased dramatically. Prior to that they were on a par with BACitiexpress although HAM and DUS weren't quite as good.

Currently only Berlin (daily this summer with easyJet), Cologne ( 3 x weekly this summer with Ryanair) and Frankfurt (daily this summer with Lufthansa Regional) are the only German routes served.

Eurowings don't appear to fly to any UK airports from Munich so that might not be an option anyway.

Ideally both Frankfurt and Munich would have at least a 2 x daily service on 90-100 seat aircraft to cater for the long-haul connectivity at those airports. Lufthansa Regional was originally going to be 2 x daily when it was announced pre-pandemic.

As I had previously predicted, the EW PRG service will end on 13th June…

Seems all pax with bookings after then have been offered BHX flights.

That is disappointing news. I guess Prague against easyjet wasn’t the best idea particularly during a pandemic

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock