• Admin

TUI to base two additional aircraft in Glasgow for Summer 2024​

tui.jpg

Holiday provider TUI has announced plans to increase its number of based aircraft at Glasgow Airport from four to six in next summer.

The decision will deliver even more choice and greater flexibility for passengers across 23 destinations in 11 countries. An additional 180,000 seats will be added on TUI’s most popular routes including Antalya and Dalaman, Mallorca, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Ibiza, Zakynthos and Rhodes next summer.

Matt Hazelwood, Chief Commercial Officer at AGS Airports, which owns Glasgow Airport, said: “TUI’s announcement is a hugely significant one for Glasgow as the airport continues to rebuild the connectivity our passengers deserve.

“We have seen a sharp increase in demand for both city and beach leisure breaks and anticipate welcoming an additional one million passengers through Glasgow this summer alone.

“TUI’s decision to base two additional aircraft next year will ensure Glasgow Airport continues to cement its reputation as Scotland’s go-to airport for overseas summer holidays.”

Glasgow is TUI’s largest base in Scotland and the introduction of two additional aircraft in 2024 will deliver the holiday provider’s biggest-ever summer programme at the airport.

It will include two additional routes to Sal, Cape Verde, and the Greek island of Kefalonia, while this year’s winter services to Sharm El Sheikh will also continue in summer 2024.

Andrew Flintham, TUI Managing Director, said: “Our customers want more flexibility and to be able to choose a departure airport that is close to home – and that is exactly what the new TUI 2024 summer programme has been designed to do.

“We want every one of our customers to be able to create a holiday as unique as they are – departure airport, destination and duration are all key components which come together to make the perfect TUI holiday.

“The 2024 programme will see extra flights departing from across the UK. Glasgow Airport will see a significant increase in flight seats offering more holidays to those living in the region.”

With the Max 10 not certified it’s a genuine question. I see Max 8’s are on order but are they are TUI U.K.?!
I'd except that they'll be distributed over the entire European operation where TUI need them. I also expect that they'll lease extra aircraft from the like of Avion etc, use airlines like Freebird for non based flights and also it's possible that more wide bodies might be used at the bigger airports on short haul too free up the narrow bodies.

That involves some brave long haul reduction.

TUI are the only big leisure operator on Long Haul i would of thought they want to cement that position and not shift capacity to short haul potentially leaving them open for another competitor to come in and begin long haul ops.

Likewise they’re maybe Avion etc out there but they have proven to be unreliable with Thomas Cook and clearly Jet2 who have ended their relationship with smart lynx after last summer. TUI expand but to what damage to their brand with Avion/Smart Lynx.

Their order of 18 MAX10’s (AC still to be approved by the regulator) and 19 MAX 8’s are for the group. Not TUI U.K. I feel they need a good strategic sit down, probably another order for aircraft with decent capacity that isn’t awaiting approval (A321NEO) and to figure out how to expand TUI U.K. without detrimental affect to their long haul ops.

This is fantastic news not just for Glasgow but other airports they’ve chosen to add aircraft. However for reasons I’ve highlighted I’m taking it with pinch of salt.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock