I went to the presentation at Yeadon Town Hall on Monday (and Im going to Otley tonight). I was disappointed that no one from Network Rail or Northern Rail was present. The parkway is being handled as a separate development which is not dependant upon the A,B,C roads.
I dont think it will work as a parkway, mainly because they will have to charge for car parking and it will have to be at least as much as parking in the on airport car parks, otherwise everyone will park at the parkway and get the free bus up to the airport. Why pay when Weeton and Menston are free (not sure about Horsforth)?

I see great potential for passengers arriving and departing by rail however this will only work if the trains start and finish somewhere other than York and Leeds (as currently). Starting in Scarborough, Middlesborough, Hull and running through the Parkway to Leeds, Dewsbury, Huddersfield etc as the current Manchester airport services do would be the ideal. The only problem I can see is that the track between Knaresborough and York might need upgrading to double track where it is currently only single.

Alan
Not sure why you would have to pay for parking, number plate recognition software is now very sophisticated that they can be programmed for short and long term stays.
Its vital this station is both a parkNRide and train station option and fully integrated with the airport, therefore, a surprise both rail and airport views were not on hand, nor were current pollution figures available on the Option C route or any figures on possible traffic increases from January next year when the Leeds Clean air zone comes in to force.
When I talked about the clean air zone and the clean air act to officials at Yeadon, you would have thought I was talking a foreign language.

Reg bigmans point, the original plans back when the m606 to Bradford was constructed was to have it all the way to keighley and beyond to the m65 but they ran out of money which is why it stops at Rooley lane,Bradford.
A recurring theme in these parts is the motorways that didn't happen (and more recently transport schemes that also didn't happen) whilst they did go ahead in other parts of the country not too far away. Way back, the Pudsey to Dishforth Motorway would have linked the M62 with A1 and the planned route went right past LBA, more or less where Option A would run, along where Scotland Lane is now, just to the East of the airport. But of course, it didn't happen. The current Harrogate by pass, from the A61 as far as the A1 follows the route of the Motorway that was planned and then canned. I cannot help wondering where LBA might be now, had this part of the county seen the investment it needed, sooner, and with some vision for the future of the airport. We never seem to learn either - even the tram system that the Government binned in favour of a similar scheme in Edinburgh, totally ignored the airport - unlike Edinburgh, whose tram system only links the city centre and airport.

Edinburgh trams: Originally planned to be beyond the city centre, but due to costs and delays it does now terminate in the city centre.
However plans are afoot to again extend beyond the centre, and the trams are proving to be very popular. Additionally a new rail station
near the airport has been built alongside the trams, giving access from Fife and beyond to the airport directly. Bye the way a Park and Ride is also located next to the airport, although not for airport parking.

Reg bigmans point, the original plans back when the m606 to Bradford was constructed was to have it all the way to keighley and beyond to the m65 but they ran out of money which is why it stops at Rooley lane,Bradford.
Yes it stops there like all the bloody traffic using it. Crap infrastructure once again. When will we learn to plan ahead in this part of the country

Bradford council not being fully behind the M606 didnt help either as some of the councillors didnt see why why needed the motorway and as soon as the motorway was axed they built a housing estate at the end of it, making sure it could never be resurrected. It took them years to make full use of the roundabout

Since the new year every school morning I do yeadon to halifax every morning and afternoon to take my granddaughter to school.
After the M606 your still on three lane carriageways on the A6177 and the A650 (accept now down to two lanes dropping down to Bowling Back Lane, decision time, Sticker lane or Bolton Road). I know in time around 15 minutes to home in a 45 minute trip (again roadworks outside Bronte House school not helping at the moment)
Therefore coming off the M606 to the airport not a huge issue in road time and a lot of different routes, truthfully never use the motorway to Halifax on a week day.
The problems occurr a lot closer to LBA on the road.

I don't see any new cameras at the airport. I wish I did! Same this week as before. Any info as to where you've seen them?

Since the double reds appeared, I have seen a few motorists dropping off passengers outside the security gatehouse, i.e. just where the double reds finish !

Seriously how can you miss them!
They are everywhere, strapped onto side of lampposts and others on poles. eg either end of the A658 tunnel and roundabout.
The cameras near the tunnel/roundabout have been there since long before the red route. There were some black cameras on Whitehouse lane, but now removed. Survey cameras apparently and had a notice next to them to say so. I came home that way a short while ago and still don't see any new ones.

The cameras near the tunnel/roundabout have been there since long before the red route. There were some black cameras on Whitehouse lane, but now removed. Survey cameras apparently and had a notice next to them to say so. I came home that way a short while ago and still don't see any new ones.

Well don't say I didn't warn you if you end up with a fine through post.

If they are anything like Liverpool Airport they will be enforced with ruthless efficiency. I would imagine they will be turned on, it is a serious cash cow. But stand by for whinging headlines in the YEP/Trip Advisor by those too lazy to walk from the free drop off area and or trying to save £3..Liverpool gets it all the time, LBA won`t be any different sadly.

£64m New proposed link road between Pudsey and Driglington will almost connects LBA with M62.
Expect strong opposition to this as the proposed route will cut through the green belt land between Holme Wood in Bradford and Tong/Fulneck Valley in Pudsey, Leeds. The Leeds Councillors for the area are already up in arms since they have not yet been consulted on the plan by Bradford Council whose plan it is.

I actually think this would be more transformational (if done right) for road access to the airport than the link road proposed by Leeds Council...

It could vastly improve journey times from the M62.

Just a shame they can't find a way to more directly link to Dawsons corner

The land for the proposed airport link road is also green belt land and the opposition to the airport link road has been far less than I expected. The new Driglington to Pudsey road will provide decent access to the motorway network from close to the Leeds ring road cutting drive times significantly. I can't imagine the plans will be rejected as they are stated to facilitate the government's house building strategy.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock