Road, Rail & Access Issues

Advertisement

Apr 22, 2015
Reading on the bristol live Web site,that Bristol Airport have applied for compulsory purchase of twenty two parcels of land to allow the upgrade of the A38 to dual carriageway.Some of the pieces of land are quite small but others for instance, the land at the side of the Airport Tavern by Downside Rd are quite big.The piece on the Bristol Live Web site indictates that Bristol Airport have already reached agreement with other landowners.Although the online piece says that Bristol Airport will only start work on the project if it wins its appeal,it does seem to indicate that Bristol Airport will not be hanging around if the appeal is successful.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Reading on the bristol live Web site,that Bristol Airport have applied for compulsory purchase of twenty two parcels of land to allow the upgrade of the A38 to dual carriageway.Some of the pieces of land are quite small but others for instance, the land at the side of the Airport Tavern by Downside Rd are quite big.The piece on the Bristol Live Web site indictates that Bristol Airport have already reached agreement with other landowners.Although the online piece says that Bristol Airport will only start work on the project if it wins its appeal,it does seem to indicate that Bristol Airport will not be hanging around if the appeal is successful.

One of the many caveats that were part of the North Somerset Council's planning officers' recommendations to approve the airport's planning application was a recognition of the airport's wish and intent to improve the A38/Downside Road junction which they had already improved some years ago, although some people question whether they actually were improvements given the traffic queues that can occur at the traffic lights on some summer afternoons.

The most contentious part of the CPO action appears to be the requirement to take possession of the Airport Tavern's car park that fronts the A38. A new entrance for the pub would be built around the corner in Downside Road. The Airport Tavern also operates an offsite airport car park immediately to the west and north of the pub.

The Bristol Live report also says that the airport has already purchased the only two houses situated between its boundary and Downside Road - I presume they mean at the A38 end because there are other houses further to the west along Downside Road.

Full details with a map showing the parcels of land in question are in this Bristol Live report - see below link.

The airport owners certainly seem prepared to invest a lot more money into all aspects of expanding and improving the airport, having spent many hundred millions of pounds already over the past two decades. If it all comes to a grinding halt following the appeal, NSC will have to find other employers ready to step in and help with the economy of their small unitary authority. That might not be a simple task.

Build a tram line along side as well.

The CPOs are only for a short section of proposed dualling of the A38 between the roundabout at the airport's main entrance through the junctions with Downside Road and West Lane (the road to Winford and Chew Magna) together with improvements at these junctions.

The elected Labour mayor of Bristol wants a mass transportation system that would include underground and overground sections, probably using tram-like vehicles. I'm no technical expert but I presume that modern trams could negotiate the long and relatively steep Barrow Hill along the A38. The entire A38 between the airport and city would probably have to be dualled first though. Bristol's mayor has said that his anchor route would be that from the city to the airport. If it ever comes about it won't be for many years.

Two or three years ago a £600,000 study was set up involving the airport and North Somerset Council looking at ways of improving surface connectivity to the airport. The airport contributed the lion's share of the cost. That was when NSC had a large Conservative majority. I don't know whether this study has stalled following the election of the so-called 'rainbow' council.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

Still in the background with a business case being worked up to present to the DfT. If it ever comes to fruition it's not likely to be in my lifetime unless I can get somewhere near Harry Patch's longevity ("The Last Fighting Tommy").

superking

Premium Member
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2013
From today the A4 decker service from Bath will go hourly. Its due to the covid 19 that this has happened.No date for it to go back to its normal time table as no one knows how long this covid will be around.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
From today the A4 decker service from Bath will go hourly. Its due to the covid 19 that this has happened.No date for it to go back to its normal time table as no one knows how long this covid will be around.
It went to hourly earlier in the pandemic then resumed its usual half-hourly service.

The A4 Air Decker is a commercial service with as far as I know no airport subsidy; in fact, I've been told by some of the bus drivers that the Bath Bus Company (part of the French state-owned company RATP Group) pays the airport a fee for each passenger it takes to/from the airport. Obviously I am unable to confirm that claim.

Because of commercial necessities the route also acts as a normal bus service along its journey, something that has led to complaints from air passengers as continual stopping and starting prolongs the journey. In fact, apart from an hourly Cribbs Causeway-Bath service operated by First, the Air Decker is the only service that links Keynsham town centre with Bath - the high-frequency Bristol-Bath service (First) operates along the Keynsham bypass missing out the town itself (I don't know the situation during the pandemic). The Air Decker also links some south Bristol suburbs that otherwise have no direct bus service between them.

It can be seen therefore that the Air Decker acts as a community facility as well as an airport bus service. With both air travel and ordinary bus demand reduced significantly because of the lockdown it's no surprise that the Air Decker's frequency has been reduced.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.