Work has already begun on the new Eastern Apron built on the Old Terminal Building Car Park. I think the original plan was for three stands by next summer, but maybe that has now changed to two.
As far as I can see, plans are also in/work is underway for the following:
- Eastern walkway with 7 new coaching gates (around the area between stands 6 and 7N).
- Small extension to the F&B restaurant on the Eastern mezzanine level (I think slightly reducing the current external terrace)
- Adding two more floors to the new multi-story carpark

Fire Station
The new fire station is coming along quickly and is rather impressive. 6x garages as part of the large building, which sits between the snow base and the fire training area south of the runway.

Southside
- The stands Southside will be opposite the Centreline building basically filling in the V-shaped grass void. There will be three stands there but for now this will be for biz-jet/GA traffic and maybe standby/overflow parking. In adding this new apron, there will a change in the taxiways meaning additional Silverzone car parking as well.
- Also Southside the new Admin building is being built next to the A38 roundabout. This will take over from the OTB when demolished.
There will be a change in the layout of the roads on entering the Southside area as the new CRCC (Car Rental Consolidation Centre) is being built in the unprepared car parks near the southern threshold of RWY 27. This will be a collection of new buildings including the Reception Building (where at least 6 car hire companies will be based), a washing building, a cleaning building, maintenance bays and bus stops.
- Also on the Southside a new small staff waiting building has been erected on the site of the old Silverzone reception as all staff car parking has now moved from outside the OTB.

Where is the vehicle work shop situated. If north side will it be located to the south side any time soon.

Work has already begun on the new Eastern Apron built on the Old Terminal Building Car Park. I think the original plan was for three stands by next summer, but maybe that has now changed to two.
As far as I can see, plans are also in/work is underway for the following:
- Eastern walkway with 7 new coaching gates (around the area between stands 6 and 7N).
- Small extension to the F&B restaurant on the Eastern mezzanine level (I think slightly reducing the current external terrace)
- Adding two more floors to the new multi-story carpark

Fire Station
The new fire station is coming along quickly and is rather impressive. 6x garages as part of the large building, which sits between the snow base and the fire training area south of the runway.

Southside
- The stands Southside will be opposite the Centreline building basically filling in the V-shaped grass void. There will be three stands there but for now this will be for biz-jet/GA traffic and maybe standby/overflow parking. In adding this new apron, there will a change in the taxiways meaning additional Silverzone car parking as well.
- Also Southside the new Admin building is being built next to the A38 roundabout. This will take over from the OTB when demolished.
There will be a change in the layout of the roads on entering the Southside area as the new CRCC (Car Rental Consolidation Centre) is being built in the unprepared car parks near the southern threshold of RWY 27. This will be a collection of new buildings including the Reception Building (where at least 6 car hire companies will be based), a washing building, a cleaning building, maintenance bays and bus stops.
- Also on the Southside a new small staff waiting building has been erected on the site of the old Silverzone reception as all staff car parking has now moved from outside the OTB.

You must be psychic, Severn. I've been out walking the Mendips again today (super weather) and on my way back looked in at the airport to see how the latest developments were progressing. I was going to ask one or two questions but you seem to have answered them.

I presume the metal framework by the south roundabout on the A38 is the beginning of the admin building that you mentioned and the new fire station is further back and much nearer to completion. I also walked past the front of the OTB to get a closer look. The earth moving machines have certainly been busy there. Will any of the buildings have to be demolished during this phase or is there enough room for a taxiway to the new stands around the edge of them?

I've said before that I've rarely visited the airport during the past 20 years without some major infrastructure expansion work, often more than one lot, taking place, and so it is yet again. With the money spent on building up the airport over the past 20 years I wonder what it is worth now if it was to be sold. In 2001 when it was sold fully into the private sector I think the reported sum was around £200 million. With inflation and the money spent on the airport since then (over £320 million at today's values) it's got to be well to the north of £500 million, with the caveat that anything sold is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

It's always a source of intense frustration with many people that Bristol's airport is so poorly situated, both to reach and in size. With luck the size will be increased in the years ahead but its geographical position is something that no-one can do anything about.

With a better placed and larger site, including a longer runway, I wonder what the annual passenger throughput would be now.

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere within the BRS forum but this was posted recently on Twitter. For those of you that think Bristol should be spending far more on infrastructure, the spend on this project is more than the entire spend on a new arrivals facility for Leeds Bradford Airport.
The BRS owners have spent a lot of money on infrastructure enhancement over the past 20 years with more currently being expended and a lot more anticipated in the years ahead, as my previous post (#903) points out. I suppose the disappointment over the runway extension is what can give an impression of a lack of spend on facilities, but that very clearly is not the case. I can understand the airport owners' position on the runway situation.

Two more floors will be added to the current multi storey car park i understand. By next summer.

The diggers are in place at the old terminal staffcar park. Aircraft stand willbe ready by summer 2019.
I read somewhere that the MSCP is to see some more levels too. When I was at the airport today the MSCP was in full use.

When will it close for the extension to be built?

BRS press release issued today about the new admin building.

On first read of the press release the impression is given that the building is yet to be commenced, yet it contains a statement from the contractor's MD, "We have mobilised quickly to be on site and ready for work to begin, with the main structural steel framework scheduled for erection in early October.” We are now at the end of October so has the press release been delayed for some reason?

The press release also comments on the fact that the new office will serve as a 'signature building on entrance to the airport'.

I thought that the new admin building was the structure under construction on the south side next to the A38 with some of the steel framing already in position. Furthermore, the south side is about three quarters of a mile away from the airport's main entrance on the north side and many airport passengers won't go anywhere near it so I find the comment about being a signature building on entrance to the airport puzzling.

So can anyone say whether that steel frame structure on the south side next to the A38 is the framework for the new admin building or will it be built somewhere else?

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...ia-centre/2018/10/new-administration-building

R&M Williams secures Bristol Airport development of new Administration Building
Created: 30th Oct 2018

R&M Williams is to partner with the project team at Bristol Airport to develop the site’s new Administration Building.

This will be the second Bristol Airport development for R&M Williams this year, having recently provided framework for the airport’s new £4.3million fire station, which is nearing completion.

Darryn Parry, managing director of R&M Williams, said:

“We are delighted that Bristol Airport has awarded R&M Williams this second major contract in 12 months. We have mobilised quickly to be on site and ready for work to begin, with the main structural steel framework scheduled for erection in early October.”

The office structure, which will comprise of three storeys, will house the project teams and senior management, alongside other services such as meeting and training rooms.

It is the latest project in a series of developments that are set to modernise and expand the site, and demonstrates Bristol Airport’s continued investment into sustainable, low carbon systems. The new building has been designed with energy efficiency in mind, with a carbon emission reduction of 23% over facility-building regulations.

Bristol Architects, Stride Treglown, have designed a very modern façade for the project that will establish the new office as a signature building on entrance to the airport.

Darryn adds:

“We are proud that this type of high quality, fast-track construction is one of our business strengths and we look forward to further cementing our reputation with Bristol Airport, with the successful delivery of both the fire station and administration block schemes. It’s a really state-of-the-art facility and we can’t wait to see the project take shape in the coming weeks.”

Andrew Goodenough, Development Director at Bristol Airport, said:

“We are delighted to be working with R&M Williams on this second project. The Administration Building will be the welcome that staff, airline and business partner guests will see and we wanted the building to visually blend in with the local environment whilst providing a state-of-the-art energy efficient facility.”

R&M Williams, which has construction, maintenance, development, mechanical and electrical installation, as well painting and decorating divisions, has experience across an extensive range of sectors and was recognised for its services to construction this year, earning a Local Authority Building Control Building Excellence Award and a silver Considerate Constructors National Site Award for its work on the Urban Quarter.

Good picture of the new admin building on twitter. Sorry for some reason I cant copy pic. The building looks good and by the pic the out side looks finished.

Good picture of the new admin building on twitter. Sorry for some reason I cant copy pic. The building looks good and by the pic the out side looks finished.

There us a picture at this link. I think it's an artist's impression of the building when finished.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about-us/news-and-media/news-and-media-centre

Addendum

A larger picture in this Bristol Post article.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/business/bristol-airport-huge-new-building-2164059

Preparatory work on the former staff car park next to the old terminal building to turn it into more aircraft stands is coming on in leaps and bounds. When I went by today there were several diggers/earth removers in action and a fleet of tipper lorries. From a distance at least the earth being removed looked to be excellent soil and I thought how my garden could do with some of it.

Preparatory work on the former staff car park next to the old terminal building to turn it into more aircraft stands is coming on in leaps and bounds. When I went by today there were several diggers/earth removers in action and a fleet of tipper lorries. From a distance at least the earth being removed looked to be excellent soil and I thought how my garden could do with some of it.
Slip a driver a drink or so and gert him to drop you a load round.

Airport expansion plans being presented to North Somerset planners today.
1 main point on the plans are no new terminal plan,so looks like expansion of old terminal.

Airport expansion plans being presented to North Somerset planners today.
1 main point on the plans are no new terminal plan,so looks like expansion of old terminal.

Is this "just" the expansion to 12mppa, or the longer-term plan?

Article on BBC News Bristol.

It sounds a bit like they will now complete all the things they had originally planned as part of the expansion to 10mppa, e.g.: two MSCP; transport hub on top of MSCP with covered pedestrian link to terminal; canopy and pedestrianised area in front of terminal. Small extensions to the existing extensions of the terminal building (I believe the extensions on both sides of the terminal ended up being smaller than originally planned, but I might be wrong of course). What about the eastern walkway? Was that part of the original plans or just "permitted development" after they had the western walkway signed off?

(I also note the bbc article claims this will expand airport "capacity" by 30%, but it's more like 20% because permitted capacity is 10mppa at the moment, not the current passenger numbers?)

Article on BBC News Bristol.

It sounds a bit like they will now complete all the things they had originally planned as part of the expansion to 10mppa, e.g.: two MSCP; transport hub on top of MSCP with covered pedestrian link to terminal; canopy and pedestrianised area in front of terminal. Small extensions to the existing extensions of the terminal building (I believe the extensions on both sides of the terminal ended up being smaller than originally planned, but I might be wrong of course). What about the eastern walkway? Was that part of the original plans or just "permitted development" after they had the western walkway signed off?

(I also note the bbc article claims this will expand airport "capacity" by 30%, but it's more like 20% because permitted capacity is 10mppa at the moment, not the current passenger numbers?)

Correct about this being a 'mop-up' of the outstanding 2011 planning consents. This is my summary of the relevant points mentioned in the November consultative committee minutes.

The Planning and Sustainability Director gave an update on various applications submitted in relation to the 2011 planning permission with permitted development applications likely to be submitted in the next quarter. All outstanding matters from the 2011 planning permission have to be submitted by 16 February next year and they include the south side taxiway and apron.

Below is my summary of part of the previous meeting's (July) minutes.

Planning applications/GPDO (General Permitted Development Order) requests which had recently been submitted to North Somerset Council included the new admin building, the Eastern walkway and 3 no. aircraft stands. There are also imminent planning applications/GPDO requests/reserved matters which include staff bus waiting area, car hire consolidation centre, airline offices, use of Cogloop, drainage application and south side taxiway and apron.

It will be seen that the Eastern walkway was mentioned in the July minutes.

Currently the former staff car park is being excavated to provide new aircraft stands and I understand that the next work in that area will be the demolition of the old terminal building to provide yet more stands. Unless all these new stands are to be serviced by bus an Eastern walkway would appear to be essential.

The applications submitted this week do contain further matters not in the 2011 planning consents such as permission to increase passenger throughput to 12 mppa from 10 mppa and a rationalisation (though not a relaxation) of the night flight restrictions.

The draft master plan which will take the airport through the next 25 years where 20 mppa has been spoken of by the 2040s is due to be published soon for public consultation.

Some things have apparently been decided following the public consultations, one of which is the plan to proceed with expanding the existing terminal rather than building a new one on the north side or building a second, complementary terminal on the south side. The 20 mppa figure would need expansion of the current site partly into the Green belt which of course will be highly controversial.

We ought to get a better idea of the airport's longer term thinking when the draft of the new master plan is published.

• Thanks
Reactions: tpm
Heard on a radio report the plans submitted today are scaleddown master draft plan.Makes you wonder if its lazy reporting again.They got the pax% wrong so any thing is possible.

Heard on a radio report the plans submitted today are scaleddown master draft plan.Makes you wonder if its lazy reporting again.They got the pax% wrong so any thing is possible.

I just heard the CEO on ITV West News and he confused me a bit. He said this application takes into account the views of the two public consultations held earlier in the year. They were for the new master plan which will look at the airport's development over the next 25 years. The draft of the new master plan is expected to be published early next year.

Inevitably the ITV West News found people who object to the expansion. One old chap who lives in Downside Road said he is a prisoner in his own house and can't go into his garden because of the noise and pollution. I have sympathy for his physical condition but he only bought his house 16 years ago so what did he expect with it being cheek by jowl with a growing airport?

This morning's Radio Bristol phone-in concerned the airport expansion. I never listen to these phone-ins any more. The standard of debate is very low whatever the subject and the same people seem to ring in all the time.

The Bristol Post's piece on their website attracted a lot of comment from posters one of whom said that Etihad went to Cardiff Airport for its Oman service because the Bristol runway is too short. That's the level of debate you often get on Radio Bristol. It's not even worth wasting time trying to argue against nonsense like that.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock