Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
This thread is to log details of incidents at Southampton airport. The http://www.avherald.com is an ideal reference point if people want to the thread.

[textarea]Report blames ‘human error’ after door falls from plane

A report into an incident at Southampton Airport in which an engine door fell from a Flybe plane and damaged its wing during take-off, found human error was to blame. The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) found when they recovered the door two of the latches were fully open.

A pilot sitting in a parked aircraft saw the panel thrown upward from the plane as it left Southampton Airport. He reported this to air traffic control, who passed the information to the flight crew. They advised the crew that a panel and some other debris had been found on the airfield and the captain decided to return to Southampton where the aircraft landed without further incident.

The report said ‘evidence suggested’ the door on the Dash 8 plane had not been properly shut after maintenance work. Flybe have since launched a safety campaign for aircrew, engineering and ground staff. None of the 40 passengers was injured in the incident on April 22.

Source[/textarea]

That actually happened once. Birgenair flight 301, operated by a 757-200, crashed into the sea following instrument malfunction shortly after takeoff from Puerto Plata on 6 February 1996. All 189 on board were killed.

The cause of the malfunction, which confused the pilots so much that they lost control, was believed to have been a mud dauber wasp, which are common in that area, that had built a nest inside one of the pitot tubes. The 757 had been parked up for several days without covers fitted to its pitot tubes.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock