Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
New route to Ibiza from EMA

LOW cost airline Ryanair has added a new route from East Midlands Airport flying to Ibiza.
The airline, which is the largest operator at the Castle Donington airport, announced the new route this morning.
It will begin the thrice-weekly service to the Spanish island resort from March 31 – with flights taking place on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays.
It brings the total number of flights Ryanair operates from East Midlands to 36.
John Booty, the airlines sales and marketing manager for the UK and Ireland, said: "This new route will offer passengers more flexibility in terms of how long they want to stay because of the frequency of service.
"We realise that because of the credit crunch people may not be able to afford to go abroad for a fortnight or 10 days."
Tickets for the new route will go on sale from midnight tonight.

Source

Ryanair have announced a reduction in flights from EMA to Dublin from July as a result of them pulling more aircraft out of their Dublin base. Whilst this is bad news for EMA and DUB, it could be worse as the cuts involve axing their routes to Doncaster and Durham Tees Valley altogether. Leeds Bradford has already lost one flight daily from April, but still has 2 flights per day most days with 13 flights per week in total.

• Admin
Ryanair announces new routes from East Midlands Airport

THE largest operator at East Midlands Airport said it was confident it could persuade cash-strapped British holiday-makers to go abroad this summer after announcing new routes to Spain.
Monday saw the start of British Tourism Week, which aims to showcase the best of the UK tourism destinations.
But Ryanair, which yesterday announced two new summer routes to Spain from the Castle Donington airport, said it was confident that people would still fly abroad. The new routes fly to Barcelona (Reus Airport) and Palma, Mallorca. Both will begin in July and operate three times a week.
But Ryanair has decided to pull flights from East Midlands to Paris (Beauvais) to make way for the new Spain routes as they were under-performing.
It brings the total number of routes Ryanair operates from East Midlands to 34.
John Booty, the airline's sales and marketing manager, said: "We believe it is still possible for people to have a holiday abroad on a budget.
"We appreciate these are challenging times and people more than ever will be looking to get more for their money.
"I think the key is the frequency of our flights. People are not tied down to spending a week or two weeks away. They can go for a couple of days."
Recently, the pound's poor performance against the Euro has put some holiday-makers off taking a break in Europe.
Mr Booty said: "But our passenger numbers are showing that because of the performance of the pound, more people are travelling from mainland Europe to the UK, which boosts our own economy.
"Last year, we carried 57 million people across 26 countries. This year we predict we will carry 65 million – so we are still growing as a business."
But Mr Booty admitted that this summer would be tough for many airlines. In the past 12 months, falling passenger numbers combined with the rising cost of fuel has hit airlines.
Earlier this month, Castle Donington-based airline BMI announced losses of almost £100m for 2008 – in contrast to a £7m profit in 2007.
Mr Booty said: "As an airline, we have always tried to run things as lean and efficiently as possible. We drive a very hard bargain with our suppliers to keep costs down. That is what we have always done, recession or no recession – and we will continue to do that."
Airports have also struggled and last month, Manchester Airports Group, which owns East Midlands Airport, announced that 60 jobs had been placed at risk because of falling passenger numbers.
It said it would create 35 new posts, giving an overall reduction of 25 jobs.
Mr Booty said: "We have a great relationship with East Midlands Airport and this year we will be flying two million people from Castle Donington, so we will be doing our best to support the airport and local jobs."

Source

• Admin
Ryanair axe East Midlands – Inverness flights

Ryanair is to axe its flights between Inverness and East Midlands Airport on July 16, with travellers who have already booked tickets beyond that date being offered refunds. The announcement comes three months after Lesley Kane, the Dublin-based airline’s head of sales and marketing, said the Inverness to East Midlands route would be maintained.

Daniel de Carvalho, Ryanair’s European communications manager, said: ‘On review of all of Ryanair's 800-plus low fare routes at the time of our annual results, the Inverness to East Midlands route was identified as one of our worst-performing routes, and it has unfortunately been removed from Ryanair's scheduling.’

Source

• Admin
Canada | Toronto Pearson

[textarea]Canada’s busiest airport cuts fees

The company behind Canada’s largest and busiest airport is planning to cut pricey landing fees which airlines must pay in order to use the facility.

As a means to confront a sluggish economy, Toronto’s Pearson International is then see it’s fees slashed by 10% during the course of next year.

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) said Thursday via a statement that it’s in the process of cutting its Pearson International landing fees, which are among the priciest in the world, as well as its terminal fees by10%.

The GTAA estimated the cost cutting measure will collectively benefit the airlines using the airport with savings of $58.4 million next year.

Spokesman for the GTAA Scott Armstrong, said the fee reductions, which are the largest in a string of price reductions over the last three years, are made possible because of the completion of Pearson’s ambitious $4.4 billion expansion project plus efforts to upgrade the efficiency of the airport. He added that the airport needed to be competitive, which is helped by the timing of the construction completion nearly three years ago.

The GTAA closed its Terminal 2 in 2007 and then spent 18 months demolishing the building. It has also shut a satellite building which was part of Terminal 3 and was used for commuter service.

Armstrong said that the streamlining reduces the cost of everything from electricity to employee salaries.

As well, Pearson International has postponed for at least two years the construction of a new pier which was destined to serve U.S. traffic in Terminal 1. The project was going to cost between $800 million to $850 million.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Bumper Cheltenham Forecast as Ryanair Bookings Jump

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (7th Mar) forecast a bumper Cheltenham NH Festival with over 10,000 Irish punters descending on the UK’s premier jump racing festival after snapping up Ryanair’s lowest fares to East Midlands, Birmingham and Bristol Airports during the week of 14 – 19 March next. In response to record demand Ryanair has added 22 extra flights during the week long festival including four extra St Patrick’s Day flights for the Ryanair Chase, the feature event on Thursday 17th March.

The prize money for the Grade 1 Ryanair Chase has risen from £250,000 to £260,000, to make it one of the most valuable races at the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival in 2011. Ryanair is the official airline of the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“This year’s Cheltenham Festival looks set to be a bumper one with Ryanair bookings on routes to Birmingham, Bristol and East Midlands already ahead of the corresponding period last year. Most passengers snapped up early deals so to respond to this enormous demand Ryanair has added 22 extra flights to maximize the availability of low fares to the Cheltenham Festival.

“We hope that 2011 will see an Irish winner of the Ryanair Chase and Ryanair will be working closely with the Cheltenham Festival to ensure that the St Patrick’s Day Grade 1 Ryanair Chase is the highlight of another great Festival.”[/textarea]
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/bumper-c ... kings-jump

East Midlands Winter 2011/12

Alicante - 3xWeek
Berlin - 3xWeek
Dublin - 13xWeek
Faro - 2xWeek
Fuerteventura - 2xWeek
Las Palmas - 2xWeek
Kncok - 3xWeek
Krakow - 2xWeek
Lanzarote (Arrecife) - 2xWeek
Lodz - 3xWeek
Riga - 3xWeek
Rzeszow - 2xWeek
Tenerife (South) - 3xWeek
Wroclaw - 4xWeek

Will operate but not yet onsale - Dinard, Girona, Limoges, Nantes, Venice Treviso

Summer Only:- Bergerac, Bratslavia, Carcassonne, Ibiza, Marrakesh, Milan Bergamo, Murcia, Palma De Mallorca, Pisa, Prague, Reus, Rome Ciampino, Seville, Tallin, Valencia.

a little bit of digging things out but I was wondering why do i see so many ryanair planes approaching EMA, when there is no flights scheduled on EMA live info. I checked the flightradar and that's what I saw:

I thought, maybe his sat nav went berserk or he's just :fool: but it appears that EMA is used for touch&go training flights, and it actually happens quite often.

• Admin
Looks like it was doing a figure of eight holding pattern. This could have been for a number of reasons but because it's flight number was just RYR1 it looks likely it was just a training or test flight.

Route cuts

Barcelona El Prat has been cut for the winter according to the Ryanair websites. Ryanair say it's because of the doubling of the Spanish departure tax.

Both East Midlands and Leeds Bradford flights have been cut for the winter period.

Have you seen a huge 'BYE BYE LATEHANSA' written on the ryanair planes ? I was for a while at the usual viewing spot at EMA and spotted that on one of arriving planes, hilarious :)

IMGP5947.jpg
IMGP5947-2.jpg

Does that help ? :D

Along with LJL and MAN East Mids gained two new routes today.

East Midlands Summer 2013:
· 38 routes, 2 new routes – Marseille & Menorca (Growth on 17 other routes)
· 460,000 new passengers (over 2.3m pax)
· 460 new jobs, over 2,300 jobs in total
· 1 new aircraft

Good news for East Midlands Airport in what is still a very fragile economy. Ryanair does have a habit starting & then scrapping routes willy-nilly so hopefully Ryanair will keep their word and the airport will see genuine growth.

[textarea]Bungling Ryanair staff put Spanish holiday families on wrong plane - to Latvia
[/textarea]
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bu ... sh-3867460

Another one of these 'getting on the wrong plane' incidents. The Mirror report is replete with a picture of one of the families looking glum in a staged pose.

Sounds very much like an incident reported on the Leeds Jet2 thread where a woman boarded the wrong plane and was offloaded in Leeds as opposed to Glasgow.

Now I'm not condoning these 'events' because they shouldn't be happening, but I just can't understand how as a passenger you'd let this happen. You receive a boarding pass, in fact you print your own with Ryanair. You receive a flight number which corresponds with the flight information screens showing the destinations and boarding gates. When you board you show your boarding pass again and when on the plane you are welcomed on board the flight to xxx. So as a passenger, even if the system fails you have multiple occasions when you can seek clarification or advise somebody you are on-board the wrong aircraft.

I agree with everything that you say, Aviador, but you will know probably better than me that many passengers switch right off when going on holiday and how many listen to anything the flight or cabin crew say over the public address system? Many don't even bother to watch the safety briefing.

Perhaps all personnel checking in passengers whether at the gate or as they actually enter the aircraft should be reminded that they ought to treat all passengers as people who shouldn't really be out on their own.

This will apply particularly to holiday flights where many are just once-a-year flyers.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock