CL44

Jan 20, 2009
Birmingham
I know we have had some WIZZ flights as well as Ryanair into BHX but have there been any others that I am not aware of. BA put the BA036 into CWL (instead of BHX) at the last minute!

BHX is now open for business (after being open / closed at least three times this morning).

What I cannot understand is that we all knew this weather was coming (since at least the middle of last week) and we still get caught out.

I look forward to hearing about anything else that may have either come in or be planning to come in.

Re: Diversions into BHX

Most airports are using very old and dated equipment these days. It cost many millions to buy new airport snow clearing gear. Most airports tend not to put snow clearing machines high in their priority list given the amount of snow we get these days. It wouldn't be worth it.

Re: Diversions, Delays & Cancellations

New York flight grounded at Birmingham

PASSENGERS flying from Bristol to New York on Saturday had to make an unexpected stop after problems with the plane's engine.

The Continental Airlines flight from Bristol International Airport, which departed at 9.17am, had to make an unscheduled landing at Birmingham International Airport at 9.50am.

The Boeing 757 was on route to Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey.

All 156 passengers had to then wait until Sunday before flying out from either Bristol or Birmingham.

They were all given accommodation over night.

Source

METAR: EGBB 131750Z AUTO 12014KT 5000NDV RA FEW004/// BKN005/// 10/09 Q0992
long-TAF: EGBB 131703Z 1318/1418 13014KT 8000 -RA SCT007 BKN030 BECMG 1318/1321 18025G40KT TEMPO 1318/1324 3000 RA BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 1318/1321 +RA PROB40 TEMPO 1320/1410 18040G55KT BECMG 1400/1403 9999 NSW SCT035 TEMPO 1406/1414 7000 SHRA BECMG 1411/1414 24015G30KT

Possible gusts of 55 knots with a cross wind so I expect BHX will see some cancellations and diversions to other airports at some stage. :shok:

It looks like BHX is next in line to be snow closed. Aircraft are already holding overhead.

The MON935 from TFS is diverting to MAN by the looks of things.

At least three Flybe flights have diverted to CWL from BHX - Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Milan.

Possible problems for BHX tomorrow as the MET Office have a 'Weather Watch' for snow in the Birmingham area.

Hi There. CL44 is back on the scene (once again). I have received a severe weather warning from Lufthansa Cargo advising that FRA is going to be hit badly by severe snow. Has anyone heard anything about the UK Airports expecting any more of the white stuff?

It was very interesting here at BHX earlier on this month (Manchester one day / LGW the next and LHR the next). I do hope the Airport were keeping tabs on the landing fees!

Hello CL44, good to have you back.

I noticed some talk of snow yesterday when tuning into the BBC News 24 forecast.

I believe that Friday was the possible day though I don't think serious snow was in the offing.

I read somewhere that German was suffering quite severe snow problems at the moment which you confirm with your Frankfurt allusion.

Yes we had some severe delays on our Dusseldorf service on Tuesday and again yesterday because of the weather in Germany.

And welcome back and happy New Year! :pleasantry:

[textarea]Heavy snow shuts Birmingham Airport

Passengers flying from Birmingham International Airport have been told to expect delays after the runway was closed due to heavy snow.

Nineteen flights were delayed and one to Dublin was cancelled as some parts of the Midlands had 10cm (4in) of snow.

The airport said it hoped to open first thing on Friday but there were likely to be cancellations and urged passengers to check with their airline.

The Met Office has warned of severe weather across much of England.

'Ready for action'

Drivers have been advised to take extra care on the roads as the snow freezes overnight in the West Midlands, South West and North West.

An area of the country from the East Midlands to the West Country was hit by the bad weather.

There were reports of cars and lorries being abandoned on the A449 Ledbury to Malvern Road over British Camp in Worcestershire.

The county council said gritters had been out in the morning and it was "ready for action".

Gloucestershire was also hit and bus operator Stagecoach has suspended services into and out of Coleford and Whiteway Road in Dursley is closed.

Bus services were also halted in Coventry city centre while Warwickshire Police reported several minor accidents in the snow

Source[/textarea]

Most of these flights diverted into Manchester last night incuding Swiss, Monarch, Flybe and BA.

The Manchester bound Virgin Atlantic from Orlando diverted into BHX this morning because of snow there.

And lo and behold we have seen some WIZZ diversions into BHX today.

I wonder if we shall see any more during this Winter season?

CL44 said:
And lo and behold we have seen some WIZZ diversions into BHX today.

I wonder if we shall see any more during this Winter season?

Where where they heading? Where they Luton bound WIzz flights?

It looks like Luton & Stansted diversions (with ultimate origins being Sofia and Prague).

I did not hear of any other diversions yesterday (but bear in mind I was at work trying to concentrate on some rather tricky export movements).

If I hear of anything else I will post on here.

The BBC is reporting that BHX is now closed because of the volcanic ash cloud.

At least four BHX flights have diverted or are in the process of diverting to Bristol - 2 TCX (one from Monastir and one from Arrecife), 1 TOM (from Arrecife) and 1 Ryanair (from Ibiza).

The weather forecast isn't looking good for BHX this evening.

[textarea]EGBB 211100Z 2112/2212 06004KT 5000 BR BKN020
TEMPO 2115/2212 4000 -SN BKN008
BECMG 2203/2206 36010KT PROB40
TEMPO 2204/2210 1200 SN BKN002[/textarea]

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

Latest profile posts

My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.
1st time out and about with my camera for 4 months. 15km walked. Right ankle/foot is mot appreciative of what I did

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock