TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
[textarea]Blue Islands launch daily Jersey Service from Bristol

Blue Islands airline today announced the launch of a twice-daily morning and evening service between Bristol and Jersey starting on Monday 23rd May.

Flights, operated by a 19 seat Jetstream, will depart from Bristol Monday to Friday at 0940, returning from Jersey at 1620. A further flight is scheduled for Sunday afternoons at the same time as the weekday service leaving Bristol for Jersey at 1745.

Blue Islands offers a unique ‘no hidden charges’, pricing policy, which includes free ticket changes, no baggage charges and no card charges – ‘A Welcome Difference’

Timetable:

Jersey – Bristol:
SI426 Jersey – Bristol Dep. 08.20 Arr. 09.20 Mon - Fri
SI432 Jersey – Bristol Dep. 16.20 Arr. 17.20 Mon – Fri, Sun

Bristol - Jersey:
SI427 Bristol – Jersey Dep. 09.40 Arr. 10.40 Mon – Fri
SI433 Bristol – Jersey Dep. 17.45 Arr. 18.45 Mon – Fri, Sun

Bristol - Zurich : Timetable
SI4270 Bristol – Zurich Dep. 09.40 Arr. 14.10 Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
SI9370 Zurich – Bristol Dep. 14.40 Arr. 17.20 Mon, Wed, Fri

The Jersey/Zurich/Jersey sector is operated by a 48 seat ATR500 series aircraft[/textarea]
http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/news-an ... aunch.aspx

There was a post a few days ago in the Dried Plum saying Blue Islands people had been seen at BRS.

This is the first service from Bristol by this airline though they did get a route licence two or three years ago to operate BRS-GCI in competition with Aurigny. In the end that didn't happen - something to do with the regulatory authorities in the Channel Islands I think.

At present Flybe operates BRS-JER 6 x weekly and Air Southwest also has a one-way service to JER via PLH on weekdays. There used to be a return on Sundays only but that's not advertised for this summer so far. All seemed a bit odd with ASW - at one time they operated daily return flights between BRS and JER.

In fact, six or seven years ago there were four carriers on BRS-JER: Flybe, BACitiexpress (or it may have been BACon by then), Aurigny and Air Southwest. We now seem to be at two and a half.

I can't think Flybe will be best pleased with this and it comes at a time when BRS has been mending fences with this airline which it once fell out with.

There seems to be a connection to Zuricj at Jersey. I don't know how it rates with getting to Zurich from BRS via AMS or CDG which is already an option.

• Admin
Perhaps Blue Islands were well-informed as Air Southwest will cease its rather odd one-way BRS-JER from next month, leaving Blue Islands and Flybe on the route.

• Admin
[textarea]Double Daily Jersey Service Takes Off at Bristol Airport

Channel Islands based airline, Blue Islands, launched a new service between Bristol and Jersey today (23 May).

The twice-daily flight is operated by a 19 seat Jetstream aircraft, and departs from Bristol at 09:40 from Monday to Friday, returning from Jersey at 16:20. A further flight is scheduled for Sunday afternoons at the same time as the second weekday service, which leaves Bristol for Jersey at 17:45.

The new route is expected to prove popular throughout the summer, with South West holidaymakers taking advantage of the short journey time to enjoy Jersey's beautiful beaches and mild climate. To mark the inaugural flight, a summer beach scene was recreated at Bristol Airport, with deckchairs and parasols at check in and strawberries and cream served to passengers.

Jason Wescott, Head of Sales and Marketing at Bristol Airport, said:

“Blue Islands' double daily service strengthens connections with Jersey, which has always had strong links with the South West. It is now practical to do business in the Channel Islands and return on the same day, and the improved frequency also makes Bristol an attractive shopping and city break option for Jersey residents – good news for Bristol hotels and attractions like Cabot Circus.”

Managing Director of Blue Islands, Rob Veron, said:

“Today is an exciting day as Blue Islands begin to fly out of Bristol Airport with a direct route between Bristol and Jersey. We've identified that passengers want to be able to make the most of their day, so our twice daily service is perfect for the time poor traveller.

“Our schedule has been created to allow swift day travel to the Channel Islands, but the additional Sunday flights work perfectly for a weekend break in all destinations. I hope new passengers from Bristol will enjoy our brand, particularly the unique Blue Islands pricing policy that has no baggage charges, no credit or debit card charges and free ticket changes, which sets Blue Islands apart.”

A convenient onward connection to Zurich is also available with Blue Islands via Jersey, offering the quickest journey time to the Swiss city from the South West.

Bristol Airport offers extensive onward connections for Jersey travellers with over 80 scheduled destinations across 22 countries served by direct flights.

Blue Islands' ‘no hidden charges' pricing policy includes free ticket changes and no additional charges for baggage or credit card payment.[/textarea]
http://www.benzinga.com/press-releases/ ... ol-airport

I've no idea how bookings are going. Blue Islands are up against Flybe on this route, though the latter only operates single daily.

Double daily flights are usually associated with Business passengers wanting to return home the same day. Are there many business links between Bristol and Jersey do you think?

• Admin
Are there many business links between Bristol and Jersey do you think?

Not that I'm aware.

I will be amazed if this route is any more than summer only.

Flybe usually reduces rotations in winter to about 5 x weekly and I can't believe there are sufficient winter pickings for two airlines at that time of year.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what aircraft does Blue Islands operate?

In it's day, Jersey used to be very popular with retired people but I don't think it has the same appeal as it once had. Maybe if Blue Islands can offer flights at a better price than Flybe, they might just manage to keep the route going through the winter once daily.

• Admin
Blue Islands uses Jetstream 31/32s on this route so far as I'm aware so only about 19 seats to fill each time.

The loads are good at the moment around 70%-80%, i wouldn't be surprised if they put on a larger A/C they have the ATR42 that i could see them filling over time.

The loads are good at the moment around 70%-80%, i wouldn't be surprised if they put on a larger A/C they have the ATR42 that i could see them filling over time.

That sounds very encouraging. Have the Flybe JER loads suffered?

No they are about the same, i think as Blue Island is aiming its service more towards the business user (out in the morning back in the afternoon) and with only 18 seats to fill it's not enough to impact Flybe but if they did introduce a larger A/C then things may change.

Loads

I noticed that in the minutes of the most recent airport consultative committee meeting (last month) the airport CEO said this about the route: "Blue Islands Airline, which operated a twice daily service to Jersey, with the opportunity of connecting flights into Europe, was proving very successful."

Confirms big g's remarks earlier in the year.

The CAA stats for November show the BRS-JER route was up 57% on the previous November with 2,456 passengers carried - spread between Blue Islands and Flybe.

Flybe is only 2/3 days per week in winter, depending on the period, so Blue Islands must be doing very well. I must admit to being very surprised that they stayed for the winter season.

TheLocalYokel said:
so Blue Islands must be doing very well. I must admit to being very surprised that they stayed for the winter season.

They are going from strength to strength, the majority of flights are going out with 85% - 90% loads. The JER/GCI mix is good with the odd few connecting on to ZRH ( but will be interesting to see what happens now Helvetic are operating)

Over the Christmas period they have also sent an ATR 42 for the odd afternoon flight, and I can see it becoming a regular visitor in the summer.

They are going from strength to strength, the majority of flights are going out with 85% - 90% loads. The JER/GCI mix is good with the odd few connecting on to ZRH ( but will be interesting to see what happens now Helvetic are operating)

Over the Christmas period they have also sent an ATR 42 for the odd afternoon flight, and I can see it becoming a regular visitor in the summer.

Excellent news. Many thanks, big g.

Do you know if this is adversely affecting Flybe on the route? I know they only offer a limited service in winter.

From what i have seen the Fly be is still doing the usual 45-60 pax on most flights, so they havn't been affected to much, also with Blue Island still a new (to BRS) airline the word is still yet to get around to the leasure traveller, but the business comunity has taken note.

it would be nice to see a morning/evaning ATR service with an afternoon Jetstreem in the future.

Reported on businesslife.co today: 18/07/2012

Blue Islands apply for Guernsey to Bristol license

Following the incredible success of Blue Islands’ Bristol service direct from Jersey, the airline have applied to the Commerce and Employment department for a license to operate a direct route between Guernsey and Bristol, two flights a day, morning and evening.

Blue Islands launched a twice daily service from Jersey to Bristol in April 2011, and as a result there have been significant growth in passenger numbers on this route.

Blue Islands managing director, Rob Veron hopes the application will be considered rationally. “Bristol is an ideal destination that needs to be serviced with a flight schedule to suit. We are looking to provide peak morning and evening flights, prefect for day travel and more practical for travellers. Our scheduling of the twice daily, direct Jersey to Bristol route has driven a 35% growth in total passenger numbers within twelve months of commencement.”

Through both demand driven schedules and the unique Blue Islands brand values, Blue Islands have a strong track record of growing passenger markets on routes they operate. These include the direct Southampton services from Guernsey and Jersey and between Guernsey and Jersey in the inter island market.

“Before Blue Islands began operating to Bristol, the Jersey to Bristol market was declining and the same is happening in Guernsey. Passenger numbers on this route dropped by 18% between 2007 and 2011. There is currently no choice of carrier, timings or price to Bristol which is suppressing what ought to be a thriving market place. Our proposal will benefit both leisure and business travellers, local tourism and Guernsey PLC as a whole.”

Bristol Airport is thriving and has the largest catchment area for an airport in the UK. With great accessibility, surrounding areas including Bath, South Wales and the Cotswolds are easy to reach. Blue Islands currently offer a connection to Bristol from Guernsey, via Jersey.

Mr Veron continues,
“At Blue Islands, we are committed to providing varied and sustainable links to and from the Channel Islands. In Jersey, where there is an open skies policy, Blue Islands operate more scheduled flights than any other airline at Jersey Airport, operating direct services to nine destinations in both the UK and Europe. We are seeking to expand our offering to Guernsey passengers and hope that the C&E board will appreciate the value our application promises to deliver for Guernsey.”

Blue Islands have previously applied for a Guernsey to Bristol license, which was not successful. The airline is now in a position to demonstrate how the success of the direct Jersey to Bristol route can be replicated for the benefit of Guernsey.

alphagolf

Blue Islands seems to have done very well on the Jersey route. Having a 2 x daily service as opposed to Flybe's single daily (and not every day) is a much more flexible offering and the smaller aircraft (than Flybe's Q400) fit in well though I understand that at times the Blue Islands flights are over-booked.

If Flybe doesn't return on the Isle of Man next summer perhaps Blue Islands might take that on - they already operate a Channel Islands-Isle of Man route.

Blue Islands will increase capacity on its 2 x daily BRS-JER route from 4 February next year when the Jetstream is replaced by the ATR 42.

Flybe provides competition on this route.

Blue Islands are still pushing ahead with plans for a Guernsey-Bristol route (which would be in competition with Aurigny that currently flies this route) but must await a date for a Channel Islands public hearing into its route licence application.

This press release was issued on the Bristol Airport web site today.

[textarea]140% more seats on Bristol service

Blue Islands are responding to the overwhelming passenger demand on the Bristol service and will be significantly increasing the capacity on the route.

The remarkable success of the Bristol service, launched 18 months ago, means more seats are required to meet the increased demand. Capacity will increase by 140% in February 2013 when the 48 seat ATR-42 aircraft replaces the 19 seat Jetstream aircraft.

Since launching the twice daily, direct service between Bristol and Jersey, with connections to Guernsey, the route has surpassed expectations. Rob Veron, Managing Director explains, “Our Bristol service has been popular for both business and leisure travel thanks to the ideal morning and evening flight times. Since we began operating the route in April 2011, the total market has increased by 35%, with Blue Islands taking 47% of the market share. This clearly demonstrates the demand for a great schedule and the honest, transparent ‘welcome difference’ that we at Blue Islands pride ourselves on.

Bristol airport is the third largest regional airport in England outside London with a catchment of 7 million people within two hours. The airport is consistently growing and investing in their infrastructure. We’re seeing Bristol becoming the preferred choice above Cardiff and Exeter airports for passengers.”

The increased capacity also provides further opportunity for inbound tourism. Mr Veron continues “In addition to our new services to Paris and Amsterdam, the increased capacity on the Bristol service gives opportunity to further reinvigorate tourism to Jersey. Currently around 70% of the traffic through Bristol in the summer months is inbound leisure passengers. It’s vital we continue to keep Jersey on the map and transport links are key to this.”

Group Commercial Director for Ports of Jersey, Myra Shacklady, who leads the air route development team at Jersey Airport, says, “I am delighted to see an increase in capacity on the Bristol service offered by Blue Islands. Jersey has always been a popular destination for visitors from the West Country and by increasing capacity allows for a great number of passengers, both visitors and local residents alike, to experience the high level of service and benefits of travelling with Blue Islands.”

Shaun Browne, Aviation Director at Bristol Airport, said “Since its introduction in 2011, the Blue Islands service has proved popular with business and leisure passengers alike. This additional capacity will enable more people to take advantage of the convenient schedule, which makes a day return possible.”

Blue Islands began operating a morning an evening flight to Bristol in April 2011 and since then have seen consistently steady increases in passenger numbers. The first flight with the ATR-42 aircraft will be on 4 February 2013. Blue Islands is totally debt free and acquiring further aircraft to operate this service.

Blue Islands awaits a confirmation of date for a public hearing regarding the Guernsey to Bristol route license application. The original application was submitted in July.[/textarea]

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/media-c ... lands.aspx

Blue Islands have withdrawn their application to operate flights between Bristol and Guernsey.

They say there would not be enough time to launch the service within the required six months of approval.

Aurigny currently operates the route and says it welcomes the decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe- ... y-21370184

Had an email this week from BRS saying that Blue Islands will be offering flights to Paris from BRS 3 x weekly (M, W, F) via Jersey - no start date shown.

The morning outbound and teatime inbound to/from JER will be used but it's not made clear whether the aircraft goes through to CDG or whether a change will be necessary at JER.

I remember in Brymon days that one of the daily services from BRS to CDG operated BRS-PLH-JER-CDG as British Airways who actually wholly owned Brymon by then - prior to amalgamating them with British Regional Airlines to form BACitiExpress, still later BAConnect.

One of the main presenters on the local BBC radio station happened to fly from Bristol to Paris on it and made such a fuss on his phone-in programme when he returned, not apparently realising that there were also three non-stop BRS-CDG flights each day with Brymon (BA) at that time that he could have caught.

Someone who knows TLY very well rang up the presenter and pointed that out.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock