TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
A topic in the LBA Ryanair thread about responsibility for busing passengers from aircraft to terminal led me to wonder about the wider implications of ground handling duties at airports, especially if there is more than one ground handler at, say, a moderately-sized UK regional airport.

I've never worked at an airport so am relying on those who have to come to my rescue with some answers.

1. I presume it's the airport that owns most of the equipment such as buses and baggage carrying vehicles and tugs, and that they are leased? rented? just allowed to be used? by the ground handling company (s). Or am I way off beam?

2. So what happens if, say Servisair handles some airlines and Menzies others? Who decides who has first pick of the buses or other equipment?

3. And is it really down to the airlines through their handling companies to decide things like bus or foot transfer from aircraft to terminal - I realise that some stands are so remote that buses have to be used.

4. Does ATC allocate stands and if they do have the handling companies on behalf of their customer airlines any say in the matter?

5. Are there ever arguments between handling companies (where there is more than one) regarding getting their aircraft onto the most favoured stands or is it entirely a matter for ATC?

These are a few things to be getting on with.

I hope for some answers and thank in advance any respondents. Depending on what is said I may have some supplementary questions.

If anyone else has any queries please feel free to post them.

I will use Leeds as the prime example.

Anything Yellow equipment wise is owned by the airport, and all others by the respective handling agent, so either Servisair or Jet2. With the exception of the busses, they are also owned by the airport. When servisair were to handle Jet2 it was used on what was necessary, however they now have all their own equipment and servisair uses a bit of both.

With Leeds having only one handling agent (Servisair) and Jet2 having all their own equipment there is no requirement for sharing or deciding, except for the busses. They are under the control of servisair, who's operations supervisor/duty manager sanctions the use on request of the passenger agents or if it is a safety requirement.

These being, any Irish flights, stands after 12, stand one and any other factors caused by weather for example aircraft into wind is safer to bus on and off. Otherwise you require more staff outside, and on a night when only two meeters are on for the last flights it's a control risk.

If Jet2 need busses for the stands that require them or for a request then they ring Servisair.

It goes by that of the airport rules as laid down by the airside safety unit. Special permission is to be sought to walk to a bussing stand otherwise the standard procedures are used, the handling agent will use them as per the rules or again as per any increased safety risk. Unfortunately getting somewhat wet or windy for a minute or so to walk into the terminal does not automatically warrant a bus, though its an option.

ASU (Airside Safety Unit) allocate the stands depnding on the aircraft and the time of day, it is not really negotiable, only that of the gate used to board to it is, which is decided by the airport duty manager.

There can often be a difference in opinion mainly during the boarding process as for example a Jet2 737 on stand six can warrant the use of gate 10 whilst the klm on the airbridge may be allocated for use of gate 9 so that both can board at the same time but its inconvenient due to systems not being at all gates and having to hold passengers in corridors. And then the matter of walking flights in that clash with flights walking out, as it can only be one or the other at a few places.

I do feel where equipment is shared it creates a blame culture when things go wrong.

A particular example is when it is busy and there's only a limited number of buses available. If the buses are needed at more than one aircraft it invariably leads to passengers being delayed which causes airlines and handling agents to squabble over who should have had the buses first. This often leads to one airline claiming that the other had preferential treatment because they are the bigger airline.

I have used airport buses as the example but I know the availability of fuel bowsers can be a particular problem at some airports which can cause equal delays and disruption to movements if one airline is given preference over the next.

• Admin
Thank you both for the information.

I can see the scope for discord at times.

ASU (Airside Safety Unit) allocate the stands depnding on the aircraft and the time of day, it is not really negotiable, only that of the gate used to board to it is, which is decided by the airport duty manager.

I suppose that the gate must relate to an extent to the stand otherwise passengers might either have along walk or have to be unnecessarily bused.

Or that you would have a cross boarding situation, which also happens for flights walking in who often have to be held in the corridors. Or 'traffic light' as its referred to.

As already said, all flights are bussed in Krakow.
These work well for Ryanair because they are in effect mobile gates. It takes only 2 huge Cobus models to fill a 738 with room to spare and, priorty passengers segregated behind a tape at the front. The buses are loaded early then moved closer to the aircraft and held until they get the thumbs up.This means that no matter where an aircraft is parked, the gate is at the aircraft.
You could not do this of course with the tiny LBA buses and cramped apron.

Swedish ground handling firm Aviator is to cease operations from the UK closing bases at Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle airports. Around 1700 staff are thought to be affected by the move.

The withdrawal of Aviator from the UK comes as no real surprise. For some years now the aircraft handling industry has warned airlines about their unwillingness to pay for services will lead to the scaling back of operations from UK airports. I recall Aviance not too long ago who closed their largest operation at London Gatwick saying the business was unprofitable. I'm not sure if Aviance are still in business?

Back in July said:
Unfortunately these days, aircraft handling is a cut throat business. Swissport, now also the owner of Servisair through a company takeover is now the dominant aircraft handling company. It's only a couple of years since Aviance handling withdrew their head quarter base from London Gatwick sighting airlines wanting aircraft handling for nothing. Personally I can see this changing in the near future. Either airlines will need to provide their own handling service or airport authorities will need to provide the service themselves. Some of the larger airlines already provide their own handling but it is impractical for some of the smaller airlines or airlines with fewer flights.

Clearly the airline industry aren't listening and we'll see more handling companies pull out of the UK if the situation doesn't change.

Clearly the airline industry aren't listening and we'll see more handling companies pull out of the UK if the situation doesn't change
Could the industry then end up with only a couple of big handling firms who will be able to stand up to the airlines more and charge more?
As for Aviator will another firm just take over their operation and the staff?

It's difficult to say exactly. If things don't change it is likely some airports will need to introduce their own handling eventually. Some of the airlines might find they need to provide their own handling at airports where there is no suitable handling company available. Then of course there will be some airports which are left with just one handling company and they will be able to charge what they like.

Airport staff in pre-Christmas strike
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38347283

Staff at 18 UK airports are set to go on strike from the 23 December for 48 hours.
Let's hope something is settled before then - it would ruin some people's Christmas if the effects were serious.

Virgin pilots 'working to rule' and some BA cabin staff taking industrial action as well. With the Southern Railway fiasco some people are beginning to wonder if the 1970s labour relations nightmare is on the way to coming back.

Baggage handling what's it's really like.

Post automatically merged:

I like that bit of equipment they're using. I've not seen it before.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

How do Airlines/Ground Handlers measure their handling Reliability at a certain airport?
(This is totally regarding delays due to the ground handlers fault)
Do they account reactionary delays as well? Or just only the primary delays?

Eg. Total 100 flights
2 flights delayed due Ground Handlers' fault.
Another 4 were delayed as reactionary due to above 2 delays.
Handling Reliability will be 98% or 96% ?

Hi Everyone!

How do Airlines/Ground Handlers measure their handling Reliability at a certain airport?

Eg. Total 100 flights
Hello @ashmeva and welcome to F4A.

You've raised a very interesting question and hopefully somebody on the forum will be able to provide an answer.

Very good question and although I have some handling experience I don't know the answer. I suspect someone who is (or was) a dispatcher or load controller might know the answer.

Hi Everyone!

Eg. Total 100 flights
Hi there

It totally depends on the situation. If the flight is late landing and the turnaround is short then there isn’t much the handlers can do other than unload and load as quick as possible but the delay wouldn’t be down to them as it was late anyway.

If its because of services ( catering PRM Ect) which has been happening a lot at LBA over the summer. then it would be the fault of them not the ground handler as long as their part of the job was done on time.

Also take into account aircraft picking up slots and weather.

I’m not sure weather that answers your question as such but hopefully gives an insight.

Hi there

It totally depends on the situation. If the flight is late landing and the turnaround is short then there isn’t much the handlers can do other than unload and load as quick as possible but the delay wouldn’t be down to them as it was late anyway.

If its because of services ( catering PRM Ect) which has been happening a lot at LBA over the summer. then it would be the fault of them not the ground handler as long as their part of the job was done on time.

Also take into account aircraft picking up slots and weather.

I’m not sure weather that answers your question as such but hopefully gives an insight.
How are delays recorded? Is the type of delay recorded or just that there was a delay?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock