As for the climate argument, would they rather have 180 people travelling all at once on a fuel efficient aircraft that is only in the air for a little over 30 mins, or 90 different cars (assuming the pax travel in twos) chugging up the motorway for 5 1/2 hours spewing out fumes?
No fumes but it would take a lot longer than that with the frequent stops to recharge there electric cars.Thats if they can as the national grid can just about cope at the moment. And if the wind is light forget it.vfff

No fumes but it would take a lot longer than that with the frequent stops to recharge there electric cars. Thats if they can as the national grid can just about cope at the moment. And if the wind is light forget it.vfff

According to the Energy UK website around 54% of electricity used in this country is produced by burning fossil fuels and we all know what that leads to.

Suddenly a short flight on a modern aircraft getting 180 people where they need to be in one go sounds like the best option.

Ian .. twice you've mentioned Wizz A321 and USA. To me no chance but you seem to be the man...... getting us excited or ....

After checking further the Wed times are slightly different for the second flight with it arriving at 11:35 then departing back to GLA at 12:30.

Just confirming the daily first flight number is EZY511 from Glasgow, EZY512 outbound to Glasgow

Last flight number each day (except Saturday) is EZY513 from Glasgow, EZY514 outbound to Glasgow

Booking engine shows all A319 aircraft except for both Wednesday flights and Saturday morning flight during April which are A320

All subject to change!! :)

Very very evident just from the flight times that the route is built around the business traveller!

I’m excited to see some more orange at BHX

These are the peak times that are most expensive on Flybe at the moment. I know there are still plenty of seats to be had on Flybe but EasyJet are basically taking the prime cuts here.

I hope this doesn't force Flybe out at BHX as they have routes that Easyjet probably never will.

To a certain extent this is a problem everywhere with Flybe's business model. As soon as they have enough traffic for multiple daily someone else can just come in an operate a larger plane on the route and take all of the customers. Really they could do with some 737s of A320s for their best routes and just use the Dash 8s on the smaller routes and off peak.

These are the peak times that are most expensive on Flybe at the moment. I know there are still plenty of seats to be had on Flybe but EasyJet are basically taking the prime cuts here.

I hope this doesn't force Flybe out at BHX as they have routes that Easyjet probably never will.

To a certain extent this is a problem everywhere with Flybe's business model. As soon as they have enough traffic for multiple daily someone else can just come in an operate a larger plane on the route and take all of the customers. Really they could do with some 737s of A320s for their best routes and just use the Dash 8s on the smaller routes and off peak.
I'd imagine that the airport would be hoping that it would just give more choice to passengers and attract new ones. Easyjet will only operate 2 flights a day while Flybe will operate 6 for GLA (at the moment on Mondays it is). Many passengers will use both airlines no doubt for better flexibility. The risk for Flybe is that Easyjet will add more flights ie go up to say 4 daily. That could trash the route for them completely and destroy their yields and i think if that happended for both GLA and EDI then Flybe at BHX could be in doubt.

Last edited:
I used to fly to Scotland quite regularly on Flybe. The morning and evening flights were most expensive. You could pay more then £200 for a return. They obviously made a lot of money on these. If you flew on the middle of the day ones that business travellers don't like you could get a return for less than £60. My guess is these ones just about pay the costs.

Whilst Easyjet can just add another flight from a different base to take the best of this traffic, Flybe have got to use all of their frames based at BHX to get the best profit. This means getting profitable utilisation all day or cutting the number of frames. Ultimately this is going to have an effect and could see some other marginal routes cut from the Flybe network, probably at a time BHX needs to show some commitment to Flybe as they move across to Virgin branding.

Personally I think this is not a positive development and makes it less likely that we will get any new routes, just a gradual erosion of routes already provided by existing carriers to be serviced by LCCs and a knock on effect of less routes and frequencies as a whole.

Likewise with Wizz to New York. Please let's have some full service carriers.

Personally I think this is not a positive development and makes it less likely that we will get any new routes, just a gradual erosion of routes already provided by existing carriers to be serviced by LCCs and a knock on effect of less routes and frequencies as a whole.
But isn't that what BHX fans and other airport fans want and i include myself in that? The replacement of airlines like Flybe with the big boy of Easyjet and it's attractive brand?

Not me. I want more routes and more connections. I also don't really see Easyjet or Wizz as attractive brands, just the LCC experience. I only really want to see those carriers if they are offering routes no-one else will.

And Wizz have ordered the A321XLR so it would seem they are interested in long haul from somewhere.

Not necessarily. Wizz pack their A321s to the gills with a high density layout. They might already be range limited and want to go a bit further. They might even want to add more seats if that is possible!

But isn't that what BHX fans and other airport fans want and i include myself in that? The replacement of airlines like Flybe with the big boy of Easyjet and it's attractive brand?
Just be careful what you wish for. The IOM welcomed EZY with open arms onto the LGW route where Flybe offered a four daily business schedule. At best they have two services a day now from EZY and not necessarily at a nice consistent twice daily business schedule.

I’m not saying that it’s not good for Easy to come in, undoubtedly there will be great fares and much competition for a while, but there will be unintended consequences in time that may not be expected.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock